FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » nudism + Christianity

Author Topic: nudism + Christianity
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Here.

In 2003, News of the Weird reported on the grand design of Bill Martin to build a Christian-themed nudist park, Natura, in Florida's Pasco County (already the home of five nudist camps). (He argues that nakedness is more Christianlike than the expensive, garish clothes worn by worshipers at mega-churches' Sunday galas.) Martin plans to open later in 2006, despite legal challenges such as the one over the frank guidelines on Natura's Web site. Perhaps the most controversial is an essay reassuring men and boys that spontaneous erections seldom occur and should not discourage them from visiting. Though Christian organizations, and even the more staid nudist organizations, have objected to Martin's candor, he stood fast: "Erections," he said, "have got to be addressed." [The Times (London), 12-18-05]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, real nudists aren't perverts. Anything that makes people more comfortable with their bodies is a good thing. Our nation actually sees a pair of shown breasts as worse then violent acts.

Seeing REAL naked people, and not the surgically altered stuff in the movies and air brushing in magazines, might help build self confidence in people. Would it be such a bad thing to see that beauty isn't just stick thin fashion models with bokes sticking out?

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with stephan, but i am against him opening the nudist park. making a nudist church/park open to anyone just seems to invite too much trouble IMO.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan.... You'll probly change your mind in a hurry if you saw me naked [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I've been to beaches outside the US where people of all ages, sizes and shapes go naked. Unless you have sort of horrid deformity, I doubt seeing you naked would be that different.

It seems to me, that in the US only young beautiful people go naked. I find the European attitude toward the body far healthier.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin joined a nudist colony in Florida, against the express wishes of his family. But he's over 18 so they can't stop him. I wish I could say he's not a pervert, but we aren't sure. He seemed very keen on a 6 year old girl at the camp, and her parents let him be alone with her, nude. Sorry, but I don't think that's normal.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'ld be worried and Rwabbit I was kidding, people make those jokes at my expence I decided to initiate one of my own for once in good taste. As for my actual look I like to think of my self as average. Like I could lose 10-20 pounds to trim the fat but I'm tall and it holds well.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with not being normal.

The situation does sound sketchy, though.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Stephan.... You'll probly change your mind in a hurry if you saw me naked [Wink]

Heh. Seriously though, its that kind of self image I'm talking about. If you were surrounded by an average sample of American all completely naked, you might not think that.

[ February 06, 2006, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Stephan ]

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our nation actually sees a pair of shown breasts as worse then violent acts.
I don't know, I think there would have been worse trouble for Janet Jackson if she had STABBED Justin Timberlake at the Superbowl.

Though she might have been doing the music industry a favor ...

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by R. Ann Dryden:
My cousin joined a nudist colony in Florida, against the express wishes of his family. But he's over 18 so they can't stop him. I wish I could say he's not a pervert, but we aren't sure. He seemed very keen on a 6 year old girl at the camp, and her parents let him be alone with her, nude. Sorry, but I don't think that's normal.

I'd be worried about an over 18 year old being alone with a 6 year old fully clothed if they just met.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by R. Ann Dryden:

From what I understand, that isn't typical for nudists, either. Thank goodness. *smile
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
quote:
Our nation actually sees a pair of shown breasts as worse then violent acts.
I don't know, I think there would have been worse trouble for Janet Jackson if she had STABBED Justin Timberlake at the Superbowl.

Might have been more trouble for her, but you would not have heard nearly as many complaints coming from people with 5 year olds watching the game.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Not getting into the ethical/moral issues here, but damn, thats a niche market if I ever saw one.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Might have been more trouble for her, but you would not have heard nearly as many complaints coming from people with 5 year olds watching the game.
People wouldn't have complained about their five-year-olds witnessing a real stabbing? Are you serious?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Raven's #1 rule about nudist camps.

Most of the people who frequent Nudist Camps are not those that the rest of us would want to see naked.

Then again, most people are not whom the rest of us want to see naked.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

quote:Originally posted by R. Ann Dryden:

From what I understand, that isn't typical for nudists, either. Thank goodness. *smile

*Remembers recent thread and cynically smiles*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(we have spoken about nudists or what am thankful for, recently? *honestly puzzled)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think there would have been worse trouble for Janet Jackson if she had STABBED Justin Timberlake at the Superbowl.

I love this quote. THat's why I'm quoting it again.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you absolutely insane? Do you honestly think I wouldn't object to my children seeing someone stabbed on live TV? Get real.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
It's an important life lesson.

"See, kids? This is what happens to boy bands in the long run."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL

quote:
Not getting into the ethical/moral issues here, but damn, thats a niche market if I ever saw one.
That was my first thought too.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
quote:
Are you absolutely insane? Do you honestly think I wouldn't object to my children seeing someone stabbed on live TV? Get real.
Ok, I guess I should correct that. I honestly do not believe it would have been the same type of issue in the press.

I was in the gym one morning a week or so ago, and right up on the big tv screen was real footage of a man being beaten. This was on one of those cable news networks. It was an absolutely horrible thing to watch, and they kept showing it.

The newer Grand Theft Auto game I think is another prime example. Yes, everyone complained about the extreme violence and language, but it wasn't until some mod or cheat was available to show sex scenes that states considered making stricter laws in regards of the sales of video games.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think Stephan has the right of it. There would have been an outcry, but it would have been purely against the boy-bander.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I saw that superbowl, and I didn't see a titty. I saw a flash and some quick movement, then I blinked and said, "what just happened?" On the other hand, I most certainly DID see a (blurred) titty that night on the national news. Repeatedly. So why is the outcry raised against the superbowl and MTV*, and not the news channels?

*I take this back, MTV deserves all the outcry and more. Also, boycotts.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.