FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job search advice (please give me resume feedback) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Job search advice (please give me resume feedback)
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Belle. [Smile]

Here's the cover letter:

To: person@address.com

Subject: Editor Position

Dear Person:

While reviewing the [company] Web site, I came across the editor position with the Nursing Department. With my expertise in educational and academic editing, I believe I am perfectly suited to this position, and I would love to help the [company] continue to publish quality educational material.

While working for Brigham Young University’s Department of Independent Study, I quickly became known for my ability to handle challenging projects while still providing quick turnaround time and a very high standard of editing and production.

I continued to expand my editing expertise at Visual Communications, where I was responsible for researching and writing articles and editing and proofreading promotional material for all the departments in the Division of Continuing Education.

[Supervisor], my supervisor at the Religious Studies Center, said of me, “We have greatly depended on [Jonathon’s] editing expertise to complete many long and difficult projects on time and with success.” Those projects include the published books Latter-day Saint Nurses at War:
A Story of Caring and Sacrifice; A Descriptive Bibliography of the Mormon Church, vol. 2; and Window of Faith: Latter-day Saint Perspectives on World History.

I am confident that my expertise, dependability, and dedication will prove to be an asset to the [company]. I would like to be granted an interview with you so that we can further discuss my qualifications for the position. I was born in Mesa and would love the chance to move back to the area. If you would like to contact me, I can be reached throughout the day at [number] or at [email address].

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Jonathon Owen

PS: I am including my resume both in PDF form and in plain text below for your convenience.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
One piece of advice I was given was not to beg for an interview. I would revise this sentence:

quote:
I would like to be granted an interview with you so that we can further discuss my qualifications for the position.
this way:

quote:
You can reach me throughout the day at [number] or at [email address] to schedule an interview.
Then delete the last sentence. That makes the sentence about being born in Mesa a little out of place. Hm. I'm not sure where I'd put it. Maybe it's okay.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While reviewing the [company] Web site, I came across the editor position with the Nursing Department. With my expertise in educational and academic editing, I believe I am perfectly suited to this position, and I would love to help the [company] continue to publish quality educational material. I was born in Mesa and would love the chance to move back to the area.
You'd have to change one of the "loves," of course.

quote:
I am confident that my expertise, dependability, and dedication will prove to be an asset to the [company]. You can reach me throughout the day at [number] or at [email address] to schedule an interview.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, good idea, Dagonee.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.