FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BellSouth vs. Cox. Final Battle. Fight!

Author Topic: BellSouth vs. Cox. Final Battle. Fight!
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing battle with the utility companies today.

I need to decide if I want to get Cox cable and high speed Internet and a separate phone company (Cox doesn't offer phone in my building), or BellSouth phone, DirecTV, and DSL "Xtreme," whatever that is.

BellSouth is about $115 a month for unlimited local, a bunch of calling features, $.05 a minute long distance, DirecTV, and DSL.

Cox is $93 for cable and Internet.

Who will win my utility money? You decide!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you thought about getting something like Vonage if you're going to get high speed internet?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Freaking crud.

We pay Comcast about $70 a month for basic cable (all the stations except the premium ones, pretty much-- we get SciFi, Food Network, etc., etc.), cable internet (about as fast as our DSL on page loading but TONS faster on downloads), and fairly basic phone service with caller ID.

Who says everything is more expensive out here? [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I would get Vonage, but I kind of want a phone that will work if the power goes out, since apparently, that is a regular occurence here now.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Cox is my horse in Lafayette, and they recently did something very nice for me. So they get my vote.

Plus Bellsouth ripped me off about 5 years ago, and they're still on my ****list because of that.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Does Cox offer phone service?

How much would phone be through bellsouth by itself? (correct me if I'm wrong but usually about 60 dollars after taxes for unlimited long distance, usually about 35 dollars for by the minute)

Is the 115 before or after taxes?

If my estimation is correct you'd be looking at about 128 a month if you went with Cox for cable and internet and Bellsouth for phone.

Which means seperate bills.

Are the cable packages similar? What channels?

I personally recommend cable interent over dsl and cable or dish service wise, but honestly, money is money. Do you care about having a better internet connection and cable over dish services for 13 dollars a month?

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Oh, my God. When I finally added up all the final BellSouth charges, including taxes and such, it's $155 a month. [Cry] The installation cost is $335.

Cox's installation cost is $384. And I'm doing a self-install for the Internet! And I already HAVE all the wiring! I just need them to flip the damn switch and turn on the service. The monthly fee is about $104.

[Wall Bash]

I don't have like four hundred dollars just sitting around the house collecting dust.

And the woman who lived there before closed her phone account and didn't tell me, so I have no phone right now, which means no Internet at home, since I'm using dial-up. Next, it'll probably be the cable.

Cox offeres phone service normally, but they don't provide it for my building.

-pH

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Free cable and $15 dsl.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

"We pay Comcast about $70 a month for basic cable (all the stations except the premium ones, pretty much-- we get SciFi, Food Network, etc., etc.), cable internet (about as fast as our DSL on page loading but TONS faster on downloads), and fairly basic phone service with caller ID."

70 dollars for all three or for just cable services? (sounds like you have digital plus if thats just for cable)

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Pearce, I do work for comcast, so I hear you on all this. Cox is really charging you 300+ dollars on installation? How many TV outlets are you getting, and are you getting any digital boxes and or DVR boxes?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What are they providing for all those installation fees? If you're already wired for phone and cable they shouldn't be necessary.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I'm not getting ANYTHING. It's basic cable. I only have one tv. I or one of my minions will be installing the modem. I don't need extra wiring, and if I do, someone else can do it for me for free.

Plus, Cox claims that I owe them $4, and I must pay this $4 before they will give me service. However, I cannot pay the $4 by check or over the phone with a credit card. No, no. I must go in to one of their offices and wait for two hours to give them their $4. It's FOUR FREAKING DOLLARS. Add it to my damn first bill, for all I care. I'll give you SIXTEEN dollars to do that.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

It sounds like they're really busy and are just jacking up prices to slow down their installations. They're probably also incompetent.

Sorry dude. Steal someone's wireless.

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

I full heartedly agree with El JT. Usually for a prewired home no digital boxes no additional outlets being set up, installation on cable is abotu 30 dollars. A self install kit (which we give for free 99 percent of the time) is 30 dollars. Additional outlets are 16 dollars per outlet. Phone installation is about 30 dollars. Internet installation if we did it ourself is 99 dollars for one computer 150 for networking. Even then, we waive those down to 50 dollars if they are getting more than one service (like cable, or phone). Granted all this is comcast prices.

Pearce, what you do is contact Cox. Bring up that you would like to go with them, but you disagree with installation charges. Tell them that you only really want cable turned on, that you have a house with all the wiring where you want it to be, for one outlet. Write them an ultimatum. Tell them that either they work with the installation charges and get them lower, or you'll have to consider not going with them.

pH
Member # 1350

Everyone has secured wireless, or I'd already be doing that. [Mad]

I must go to do battle with the electric company now. Then I will call BellSouth and at least get the phone turned back on or cause a ruckus attempting to do so.

Then I will call Cox and tell them that they are ridiculous and unreasonable. Also, I ordered a modem install kit two weeks ago, and all they sent me was a cable splitter thing. Supposedly, in their ads they say that if you aren't connected to the Internet within two days of ordering, you get free stuff, or something.

I want a lot of free stuff.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Try my favorite trick: as soon as you realize that the person you're talking to can't help you, ask to speak to their supervisor. Do not answer any questions as to why, just keep asking till they give in. Repeat until you're on with someone who speaks in complete sentences, and then explain calmly what's going on and what you would like from them.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely NO NO NO to BellSouth for any service whatsoever at any price whatsoever.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

El JT, I disagree with that. I do not let anyone talk with a supervisor without explaining why. If they are asking for something that can not be done, I explain that to them. I'm serious about that. Sales people are empowered to do all that is in their power to get you services. If its possible to get a cheaper install rate, the person will try to work with you on that. Now, I fully admit that supervisors can do things that sales people can't, such as moving an installation date up from about 3 weeks to 2 weeks, and putting like a 20 dollar credit from time to time on an account. But talking with a supervisor to find cheaper installation? No, not gonna happen. If it can happen, a sales agent can do it.

As far as the self install kit goes, how did you get it? Did you order it over the phone or what?

A self install kit does you no good unless you already have some form of cable service. They should have sent you the modem, as well.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is just call them and tell them that you woudl want to go with them, but the installation charges are too high. Play with them. Make them work for the sale. Point out that you would be getting 2 services with them. If anything, lie to them and tell them dish is getting you installation charges that work better for your needs. Honestly, you'll need to haggle a bit. Usually it gets down to "hey look, I'll try a high package, if you get me installation under 50 dollars" or something like that.

Thats really the only way to go about it.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

If you're competent, then you can get the same thing done as a supervisor can. If not, then I'm not dealing with you. If you won't put me through, then I'll just call back until someone will.
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Exactly my point. We can get the same thing done a supervisor can. Which means that if we say we can't, a supervisor can't, and arguing about it with us when we tell you they can't is meaningless. If I told you that "I'm sorry, but we can't do that for you, and the supervisor will tell you the same thing" are you going to believe me?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Anti-Chris, you also work for a different company and are competent. There are plenty of sales reps who aren't. I'm talking in my own company, even. Sometimes asking for a supervisor is the right way to go.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
"If I told you that "I'm sorry, but we can't do that for you, and the supervisor will tell you the same thing" are you going to believe me? "

No. Because part of my job is taking second-level escalations, and reps tell people that all the time when it's not true. Maybe in your company it is, but that doesn't mean it is everywhere.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I ended up going with BellSouth for phone just because they were on the line, and I was desperate, and they have an 800 number and can probably be reached 24 hours a day.

Unfortunately, I had to give them a hundred bucks. Oh, and I won't get service until Monday. I am supremely displeased.

You wouldn't believe how many people have been screwing me out of money.

As for the self-install kit, I have cable service in the apartment now, but it's not in my name yet, and it seems that all the utilities that are not in my name have been shut off today, so who knows how much longer I'll have it? Anyways, I ordered the self-install kit, which should have had a modem and everything, two weeks ago. A box came in the mail Friday, but all it had inside it was the cable cord splitter thing.

And then there's that mess about Cox refusing to let me add service or switch everything into my name until I take three or more hours out of my day to give them their four bucks. And they're impossible to get on the phone. I don't want anything more than basic cable and high speed because I really can't PAY for anything more than that. My parents already think that it's incredibly wasteful for me to be ordering cable in the first place; they have cable internet but not cable tv. They've never had cable tv.

Pretty much, I'm just incredibly frustrated. And not having Internet access until Monday makes my life that much more difficult. I'm really tempted to call BellSouth and see if I can get my money back and call around to see if anyone else can get me service sooner, but it's probably too late.

-pH

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
70 dollars for all three or for just cable services?
All three, including taxes and fees.

pH, I'd report the people giving you problems to the BBB if I were you.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Hmmm. Is it even something that's reportable?

-pH

jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce, you know what to do. You know where your Hattori Hanzo is. Just a suggestion.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is what the BBB is for...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Going way back to the top of the thread, that was one of our big concerns with getting Vonage, but power outages are pretty rare where I live.

So you know, the primary reason we did was so that I would never, ever, ever have to give another penny of my money to Bell South. When we moved into our new house, we had scheduled them a month ahead of time to connect the new house the day after closing and disconnect the apartment. We were very specific about the day. 3 days before that, they disconnected our apartment and connected the house which we didn't even own yet. They reconnected the apartment, but told us it would be 4 weeks before they could come to the house again. [Mad]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Yes, that is what the BBB is for...

I know that. What I'm saying is that I don't know what part of my experience with these companies is worth reporting.

-pH

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pretty much, I'm just incredibly frustrated. And not having Internet access until Monday makes my life that much more difficult. I'm really tempted to call BellSouth and see if I can get my money back and call around to see if anyone else can get me service sooner, but it's probably too late."

Monday is going to be the soonest day you're going to get phone service. I don't know for sure if the law is different down there, but up here in the new england area, it takes a minimum of four business days to provision a phone number (its a legality thing) and even then we have to schedule the next available tech to come out which could make it longer. Like I said, though, things could be different.

What did you have to give them 100 bucks for anyway? Installation? Deposit?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I already have a phone number, and they're not sending a tech to do anything.

Gahhhh. I have so much crap to do.

-pH

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Wait. The phone number is already active through them, or are you switching phone companies with the same number? Cause if you are switching companies, the provisioning rule still applies, and can even take longer having to do paperwork with the other company.

But not sending a tech to do anything? Hmm. I guess we just do things differently here.

smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Utilities suck! [Wink]
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

There's no reason for a tech. I'm not getting digital phone. There's no reason for the cable company to send anyone either; the cable and everything is already in place.

-pH

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

How it works with comcast, honestly, if there is no equipment needed and you'd be getting the same package that was there before and it has not been disconnected yet, then yeah, we could do something about that. But when cable services get disconnect a thing called a trap gets put on the line so no services leak through. Which mean, when turning them back on, we have to climb up the pole and take that off.

Even if it hasn't been disconnected at the pole, we still charge 30 dollars for us to come out there and do a couple of things, though what, I honestly don't know. I suppose just making sure the line works. Thats the thing I disagree with the most, but I can't exactly argue that. Usually I just give free installation to make up for it (honestly, I can choose what to waive on installation, but there are some guidelines).

On the phone service, what we do is whats called an MDU (multi dwelling unit) or a SDU (single dwelling unit)- or, in otherwords, a box that goes in location, and its white. On Voice service, we set up a modem. So either way, we have equipment to set up.

Honestly, based upon what I do for people, you are getting ripped off on installation charges- either company. As far as dates go, it's normal. It sucks having to wait, I totally agree. There are just a lot of hoops to jump through on installation.

Again, all of this is just based upon what I do, and what I've seen in my company.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you might also be facing some price gouging (you're back in NO, right?). THAT is most definitely not allowed. I would call Cox and BellSouth in a slightly different area of the country...say, northern Arkansas or some such...and ask for installation prices on the services you're requesting. While monthly rates may vary substantially from location to location, installation prices really shouldn't.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Well, depending on availability of crews and such, they certainly could.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I have people try to escalate calls with me all the time. It doesn't do them a whole lot of good. Most of what they wan't isn't either allowed by law or by their plan document. They don't have control of either of these things so it's pretty much tough beans for you!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

I love to let people escalate calls. The next step is the big dog, and he's not nearly as nice as I am!
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Guess ya didn't hear what happened the last time a megacorp tried to mess with pH.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Milla is my idol! [Cool]

At any rate, the cable hasn't been disconnected yet. The phone was disconnected, but the phone was through BellSouth. The cable is still up and running; I don't have Internet because I was using dial-up.

-pH

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.