FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does Originality Even Exist?

Author Topic: Does Originality Even Exist?
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
As a writer I try to create things that haven't been done before, with minimal success. (Heck, maybe even this topic. [Wink] ) We live in a day and age where ideas are as plentiful as pebbles, and everything that is considered "new" or "original" is, often, a rehash of something that's been done before.

(Just the other day I saw the 80s comedy-horror D-grade flick "Troll" with a boy named Harry Potter who asked a witch how he could become a magician. So that's already been done.)

So...is there anything you've encountered that is entirely "original"? Is it even possible? Does it need to have some kind of link to preexisting material to have resonance? Or does "pure" originality become gibberish?

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Hart's Hope.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This was SO five minutes ago. [Wink]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
This topic dumb. So, anyone ever see a volcanoe erupt?

[Wink]

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Key is, I think, to breathe new life into old things instead of just repeating the same dull cliches all the time.
Out of that new life comes something original because it's an act of alchemy.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This grammar bad. Grond smash!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Is originality possible? I'd like to believe so, but sadly, you are right. It is hard to accomplish. There is a reason cliches are used so often: it's because they work. This topic is not dumb, by the way. Don't mind Reticulum.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Chris:
There is a reason cliches are used so often: it's because they work.

Which then begs the question, is total originality even desirable? One of the things that makes poetry, songs, stories, and even visual art so powerful is the enormous amount of contextual, and even subconscious information being conveyed. And you can only tap into that by using things like archetypes.

right?

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, if you do something original, well, other people have been original before. What's original about that?

I'd try to be original by not being, but I don't think that would work either.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
This grammar bad. Grond smash!

That's not original, Grond is from Tolkien.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody builds on previous work and experience.

But this always leads to a different viewpoint and a different way of arriving there, so if you write something from your viewpoint, it will be more often than not "original". Unfortunately, it may not be interesting to others...that is probably why most people compromise on originality.

As for an example of an original work see "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all nice talking about originality. However, you know what it needs? Yep, more cowbell.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
Waaah, that was my exact question and you went and asked it! [Frown]
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Twice, actually.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that I check out Godel, Escher, Bach and start reading it, and then someone else mentions it on Hatrack? I'd never even heard of the book until a few weeks ago. Now I'm reading it and somebody else is talking about it.

And I found mention of Myspace when you're a teenager and Facebook if you're in college in someone's column in the newspaper today. We just talked about that here a few days ago. Previously I'd never heard of either service.

Either it never rains but it pours, or my fellow Hatrackers are more tied to my IRL life than I think.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
afr, that's a common phenomenon. I think it's best explained like this: The book Godel, Escher, Bach has been around for years, and people have mentioned it even here. You didn't notice because it wasn't important to you at the time. However, now that it has come under your notice and been reinforced and personalized by your obtaining the book and reading it, you start to notice the places it pops up at its normal frequency. In other words, if you weren't reading it at the time, you might not have noticed it when it was mentioned recently. You certainly didn't notice when it was mentioned in the past.

quote:
more tied to my IRL life than I think
Is there a redundancy in this phrase? Is this like getting money from an ATM machine? [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there a redundancy in this phrase? Is this like getting money from an ATM machine? [Wink]
Or like a PIN number.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the original topic, I think true originality isn't nearly as important as innovation, when it comes to artistic endeavors. In art, if you're too original, you run the risk of having no context in which your art can be understood. Art that speaks to the widest audience usually takes familiar themes and shows them in new (i.e. innovative) ways. Additionally, true originality is almost always overlooked at first, often only becoming noticed through subsequent generation copies. Not that that's a bad thing. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. I just think originality as you seem to be defining it, is overrated.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with KarlEd. To hearken back to a previous discussion on the 'rack, there are such things as mythic archetypes and they are prevalent in our cultures for a good reason. They appeal to us in a way, so that the same story can be told over and over again and we'll still love it. Forbidden love, the reluctant hero, the mythical quest, all these are elementst that can be found in countless stories and yet they could be used in countless more and will still reach the audience, and connect with them.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

I have wanted to read Goedel, Escher, Bach, for some time now... is it everything I'm hoping for?

Also, should I know Hofstadter from somewhere else? his name sounds familiar...

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this has never been stated anywhere before, but, "No, originality does not exist."

Everything is dependent on the things that came before it. (It's turtles, all the way down)

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on how you define "original."

To look at something in a completely new way or to see a connection between two seemingly unrelated things can and does happen. Although, you could probably argue that what I just described is actually innovation, not originality.

However, if you want to define "original" as an idea that is not constructed on previous ideas or perspectives, then I would say no, originality does not truly exist.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Twice, actually.
*gives ricree the prize*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have wanted to read Goedel, Escher, Bach, for some time now... is it everything I'm hoping for?
It's a really interesting book so far. Pretty much over my head, but lots of nice pictures.

quote:
afr, that's a common phenomenon. I think it's best explained like this: The book Godel, Escher, Bach has been around for years, and people have mentioned it even here. You didn't notice because it wasn't important to you at the time. However, now that it has come under your notice and been reinforced and personalized by your obtaining the book and reading it, you start to notice the places it pops up at its normal frequency. In other words, if you weren't reading it at the time, you might not have noticed it when it was mentioned recently. You certainly didn't notice when it was mentioned in the past.
You're right, of course. But it's still a weird phemonenon.

As for the Myspace/Facebook mention in the paper, it seemed it was almost word-for-word with what somebody said here a couple of days ago, leading me to wonder if some jatraquero isn't a columnist for the Daily Herald.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by password:

Nah. But what ever is?
quote:
Also, should I know Hofstadter from somewhere else? his name sounds familiar...
Possibly. I don't know what else you've read... his Wikipedia entry might help.

(I particularly like his "A Person Paper on Purity in Language," originally published in Scientific American.)

As for originality, I subscribe to the "it's turtles all the way down" outlook, unless a stork dropped your newborn self on a desert island with no other life forms. In which case you might had a few days of being utterly original before you starved to death.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder then if originality (as in something totally new, not innovative) is even possible? Do all ideas have a pedigree of a chain of events, from idea to idea to idea, all the way to existence? Or is it possible for someone to create something that has no basis in anything?

I've been trying to think of something totally unique. Maybe "Teletubbies" or "Boobah," especially, though I imagine those were insipred by LSD flashbacks. [Smile]

Could we, as Hatrackers, create something totally original on this thread? Here's my stab at it:

"Turtles get mutated, become ninjas." or "Demon manifests on Earth, spends life fighting the supernatural." or "Historian unearths consipracy hidden in DaVinci's art."

Whattya think?

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

oh... thanks for the link... I think I'd heard his father's name before.
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well, perhaps we should not worry. Even Shakespeare stole plots.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Or like a PIN number.
My favorite of these has always been "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial." [Wink]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.