FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have chest pains... On my right side...

Author Topic: I have chest pains... On my right side...
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
For the past several hours, I've had chest pains on my right side. Its not costant; it only really hurts when I twist or move, also when I breathe.

I took some Tylenol, but that did nothing...

Does anyone know what this could be...?

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds scary. Have you called your doctor and asked for his/her advice?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

I've thought about telling my mom ^_^'
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
is your left arm numb? do you taste copper? if so, your cool.

you probably just bruised a rib.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
First, do tell your mom or someone else.

Sounds like it's a pulled muscle or a hurt rib or something, but never take chances with chest pain.

The rule of thumb around here is if it hurts enough to want to ask hatrack for advice then it probably needs to be seen by a doctor.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt similar when I cracked my ribs but I agree with Belle. Get it checked out.

Besides if you do have cracked ribs, having them diagnosed gets you out of many things:

shovelling snow, carrying laundry, etc. [Big Grin]

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
It could also be a really bad case of indigestion, or it could be a heart attack.

Call your family doctor, or call "Ask a nurse" in your area, and get some professional advice.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a fairly sharp pain that increases dramatically when you breathe in? I get those sometimes, or at least I used to. I found that if I just bit the bullet and quickly filled my lungs the problem went away. If you're experiencing what I used to, keep in mind that inhaling like that is going to be just as painful as you'd imagine.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife had something similiar where she moved some heavy furniture then felt stabbing pains and her heart was racing. Seems she had pulled the muscle(s) in her chest, deep, so there was pain for a couple of weeks as it healed.

I'd go get checked right away, regardless.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
God, with all the medical questions about symptoms that could be indicators of potentially fatal problems here on Hatrack, I'm SO tempted to post something like "I accidentally severed my left leg. Should I see a doctor?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, Tom -- instead, why don't you get a belt and cinch it in real tight just above the stump? [Razz]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh

Is it possible for one to have their heart on the opposite side?
I think I read somewhere about that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had chest pains on my left side for the past couple days. I just assume it's my asthma.

No biggie. I don't have time for the doctor anyway.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

The pulled muscle suggestion seems most like what it feels like. It started hurting right after I was popping my back, so I must have perhaps ben a little too far.

Its not so bad now, anyway. If it still hurts tomorrow, I'll tell someone...

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Is pain on the right side an indicator of heart attack? I always thought it was the left side.

Ginol, is the painful spot tender when you press on it? Given that it hurts when you breathe or move, yeah, it's probably a pulled muscle. I get muscle cramps in my chest all the time. Hurts like heck to breathe. I hope it gets better soon!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Strictly speaking, human hearts are not really located on either "side" of the body, but in (or very close to, anyway) the center. However, because of the way they are shaped, the left ventricle can usually be felt beneath the ribs, low on the left side.

Generally speaking, when people say they feel pain on one side or the other, it is not a heart attack (although it can be--don't take this as an absolute!). It is more likely to be muscle cramps, bruised or broken ribs, or something along those lines. When a heart attack causes pain in the chest, it is usually felt in the center, and as a "squeezing" sensation or uncomfortable fullness.
Heart Attack Warning Signs

Of course, just because you are not having a heart attack (even if you are certain) does not mean you should not see a doctor, if you have persistent or chronic chest pain. Any number of serious medical conditions (and a lot of minor ones, of course) can cause your chest to hurt.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
For the past several hours, I've had chest pains on my right side. Its not costant; it only really hurts when I twist or move, also when I breathe.

I took some Tylenol, but that did nothing...

Does anyone know what this could be...?

Dude, I know what it feels. They usually go away with me though. If they've been there for several hours, you should DEFINATELY see a doctor ASAP.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
vonk, don't fool around on health-related threads.
Bad advice can do very serious damage to very real people.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
God, with all the medical questions about symptoms that could be indicators of potentially fatal problems here on Hatrack, I'm SO tempted to post something like "I accidentally severed my left leg. Should I see a doctor?"
I've heard that a chiropractor can fix that.

Maybe you should just wait and see if it clears up on its own.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also hear leeches are good for that.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.