FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baby Xerxes [home from] the hospital with RSV (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Baby Xerxes [home from] the hospital with RSV
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Our baby boy, who still hasn't reached his due date, is in the hospital with RSV. Beverly took him in yesterday afternoon. It's a good thing too -- he's gotten worse. They have been suctioning out a lot of fluid out of his lungs.

edit: The title is changed for you, Rivka

[ February 20, 2006, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor baby Xerxes! He's in my thoughts. Best wishes.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Best wishes to all of you, but especially Xerxes.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaahhh! Why does it seem that all our hatrack babies are having troubles.

I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I'm praying for Xerxes and the rest of your family.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Me three. [Frown]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, Xerxes, you get better fast! *shakes fist* Be tough like your namesake(s).
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I will pray for him.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he gets better soon!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor baby! I wish him a refuah sh'leimah -- a complete and speedy recovery.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers for Xerxes, Beverly, and mph. Hang in there. Scary stuff, I know.

[Frown]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am praying for you guys. That is so frightening.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

My best wishes are with him, and with your family.

Here's hoping he is back home soon, healthy and happy.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry. He will be in my prayers, as will your entire family. I know all too well what you are going through (although Aerin had viral pneumonia, not RSV). If you need anything or just want to talk to someone who has gone through what you are going through, call anytime day or night. beverly has my numbers.

I know it's terrifying, but he will pull through. Aerin did and Xerxes has a lot more in the plus column than she did - he's much bigger and he doesn't have any lung scarring. Plus, he's getting lots of good immunities from beverly's breast milk. They'll give him all the respiratory support he needs and he'll lick this bug.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of my daughters had RSV. I'm sorry. I'm glad that he's getting the help he needs to get better now though! Hang in there!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers for your little one and you and beverly.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope everything turns out well. ((mph)) ((beverly)) and ((xerxes)). Let us know how he's doing.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am home from the hospital, for now. I don't like being away from X, but I have things here I need to be doing, and kids who need to see that they still have a Mom.

X has an IV, blood-gas monitors, and a CPAP machine. He may remain like this for days. If he gets worse, they will put him on a ventillator. I am not able to hold him and he is not able to handle digesting my milk ATM. Too much energy involved in the digestion process. (Though I'm not sure I'm comfortable with their analysis of the situation--for now I defer to their judgement.)

He is so frail and weak and tired. Breathing is such hard work for him in spite of the breathing treatments and suction. You can see it in the way his chest and abdomen move when he breathes. You can see it in the way his heartrate is too high and his breathing too fast.

Thank you for your care, concern and prayers. I am confident he will pull through this, but in the meantime, we are all just hanging on.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Baby Xerxes will be in my prayers.

And all shall be well, and all shall be well, and every manner of thing shall be well.
--Julian of Norwich

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'll be thinking and praying for your family.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

beverly, it's standard for them to stop feedings in cases like X's. Aerin didn't eat until they took her off the vent. When they need that level of respiratory support, digestion is too much for their little bodies. You can see it in their stats if they get fed too soon - they drop dramatically. I'm guessing they'll probably start with small amounts through a feeding tube when he's more stable.

I'm glad to hear that he's not intubated, but don't be upset if he does end up needing to be. He'll probably go along as he is for about a week and then, one day, decide to get better. That's how it happened with Aerin and the nurses told me that that's pretty much how it goes with all of them.

Again, please don't hesitate to call me if there's anything you want to ask about or if you just want to talk.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
mph and beverly, your family, and especially Baby Xerxes, are in my thoughts. I hope things get better as soon as possible. I wish I could say more, but I have had no experience in something like this. All I can give you is my hope.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev, mph and Baby X,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he will be fine. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Mrs. M is exactly right, beverly. It was the same with Nathan -- I couldn't feed him, either -- it was just too much for his 3 week old body to handle.

When they started minimal feedings through a nose tube, they used my breastmilk, though. I'd like to offer my ears, if you need them, too. Drop me an e-mail, I'll send you the number.

*hugs and prayers for all of the family*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Add my thoughts and prayers to those already mentioned. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. I still remember when Daniel was admitted to the hospital for pneunomia at three weeks old. Worse feeling of my life was walking into that hospital room and seeing my precious baby lying there with an IV in his tiny hand.

However, it sounds like Xerxes is getting good care and I have no doubt he'll be home soon with you guys. Best wishes and prayers headed your way.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
*thinking good thoughts for baby Xerxes*
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish Xerxes a quick recovery and I hope that he and your family find strength during this time. My thoughts are with you.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
He's on a CPAP machine, and that seems to be helping.

He's doing well enough that the've started feeding him again.

He appears to be getting better instead of worse.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, Porter and Bev, just saw this thread. Hope your little one gets well fast!

*hugs*

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Wonderful news! It's a very good sign that they're feeding him again. I am so happy and relieved - I've been checking this thread all day.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he continues to improve.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

My earlier post was premature. He's taken a downturn again, can no longer be fed, and has been drugged and put on a respirator.
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] We'll keep you guys in our prayers
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that. [Frown] I hope it's just a temporary setback.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Yeah, I hoped it wouldn't come to this. But it is needed. He seemed to be doing so well in all the numbers, but occasionally his heartrate would drop without warning or his breathing pattern would deteriorate in a frightening way. It was clear that he just didn't have the energy to "survive" without extra help and quick. We recognize that without the wonders of modern medicine, he wouldn't be alive at all right now.

So the ventillator is what he needs. Thanks, Mrs. M and Shan. I have no experience with this, and the nurses have been telling me the same thing. I appreciate the offers to talk about it. I may not have the time and emotional energy to take you up on it at this time (I am spread pretty thin), but it is appreciated. :sad smile:

I will at the very least make updates to this thread when I can.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

I'm glad he can get the medical help he needs. I hope he'll improve again soon.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's really bizarre to realize that were it not for modern medicine, my boy would be dead. That's never happened before.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((beverly,mph,and baby Xerxes))) I hope he gets well soon.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I truly hope and pray that your son will be all right, mph and beverly.

In my family, I was the sick one struggling to breathe, so you can be sure my thoughts are with you and little Xerxes.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We prayed for you in church today. Except that Bob forget that Bev's name isn't really Bev, so he asked for prayers for "our friends Beverly and Porter and their baby." I'm pretty sure God can figure it out, though. [Wink]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

*still praying and holding bev, mph, baby and sibs close in thought*

I made a tape of my voice reading and singing and of some of the gentle music we listened to (when I was pregnant with Nathan) to play for him during those times I could not be right there. The nurses would flip the tape over for me.

Just a thought.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be praying for Xerxes and for the rest of your family. I hope he gets better soon!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. I'm easily confused. Sorry 'bout that.

More importantly, I'm sorry the little guy is not doing better. We'll keep praying. And I'll get the names right.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I'm pretty sure God can figure it out, though.
I'm sure of that too.

Thanks for the thoughts and the prayers, everyone.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he improves soon.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You are in our prayers as well.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.