FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How many degrees are you from OSC? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How many degrees are you from OSC?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the older Hatrackers may know what I am talking about here.

How many degrees of seperation are there between you and OSC?

(warning: If you don't get it I won't explain it to you) [Evil]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but...

OSC used to live in a house that's down the street from me.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I spend some time on a web-site that he has been known to visit.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
One, I guess.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Your already starting to get it guys. [Big Grin]

Keep going [Smile]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm ... one, if you're talking about the whole "6 Degrees of Seperation" theory. If I remember correctly, that's the whole 'knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows Brad Pitt' thing. If that's the case, on here I've had OSC respond to me, so while that may not technically count as 'knowing' him, he has acknowledged my existence. Don't quite know what you're aiming for though.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC sent me a package once.

Well, it was his wife. But still.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually met him and took a picture with him.
Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I am aiming for having some fun Strangelove. So have some fun and enjoy the show. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
One, I guess.

And today I met someone (not a Hatracker) who was also one degree away.

[Dont Know] So?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've talked to his wife via e-mail. And he has responded to a number of my posts. What of it?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kevin bacon not brad pitt.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...let's see. I met him and have a picture with him.

My wife's mother knows his college room-mate personally.

The Cards sent us something once. [Wink]

I have an e-mail in which someone closely related to Mr. Card admitted that every. single. one. of his characters is based on me. (Drat! it's around here somewhere...)

You know...I think I might actually be Orson Scott Card.

Notice you never see us in the same place at the same time (except for that one picture thing, which may have been photoshopped for all I know).

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is a lot more fun.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've met OSC, so 1.

I'm also 2 degrees from Kevin Bacon, as my brother's met him. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a post chat with OSC, so I guess 1?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my aunts was in the theater department with him at BYU.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met both OSC and Kevin Bacon.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
So then OSC would be one degree of separation from Kevin Bacon?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep..

Zero...I met him in Boston. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

No, that's two. Unless Tom met 'em both at the same time.

Or OSC has met Bacon, which is also possible.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I played trivial pursuit against him and got to meet his awesome wife and two daughters. (Never did get to meet Geoff, though)

So, I guess that counts as one?

There are so many people on the site who have met him at book signings or his writer's workshop that you're going to get a lot of folks who are one degree, I'd imagine.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many degrees, but I do know that I am at least 2k miles away from the Carolinas.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
Just shy of 72 And 1/2 degrees (assuming the stars keep their rightful alignment and don't fall out the sky) [Smile]
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably around 45degrees...
...Fahrenheit / 25degrees Celcius
It's chilly over there in Greensboro.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I've talked to him on email...and I've met a few people who have met him... so I guess one or two degrees. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

No, that's two. Unless Tom met 'em both at the same time.

Or OSC has met Bacon, which is also possible.

Perhaps my understanding is faulty. I thought that if you had actually met, face-to-face, there is NO separation, so that would be zero degrees. If you met someone who has met the person, then you are separated by that one link, so one degree of separation, if you met someone who knows someone who has met your person, then there are two links between you, thus, two degrees of separation.

Or do I have that zeroth degree thing all wrong?

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
180, at least insofar as our opinions of the current administration are concerned (well, actually, probably more like 130).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an explanation of the whole Six Degrees of Separation concept. I don't think I ever knew the details of this experiment:

quote:
In 1967, American sociologist Stanley Milgram devised a new way to test the theory, which he called "the small-world problem." He randomly selected people in the mid-West to send packages to a stranger located in Massachusetts. The senders knew the recipient's name, occupation, and general location. They were instructed to send the package to a person they knew on a first-name basis who they thought was most likely, out of all their friends, to know the target personally. That person would do the same, and so on, until the package was personally delivered to its target recipient.

Although the participants expected the chain to include at least a hundred intermediaries, it only took (on average) between five and seven intermediaries to get each package delivered.

As for me, I have a friend who knows OSC. So I still don't know if that makes me one or two degrees of separation from him!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same as Cow. And I know Cow.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC stood up and shook my hand once at a book signing in Santa Cruz. So I'm going to say zero.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 

Darn restraining order...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a clarification:

If you have met OSC, you are separated by one degree. If you are OSC, you are separated by zero.

Please continue.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Most enlightening, KarlEd, thank you!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one degree away from OSC.

I have a BS, and according to his bio he has a BA and an MA.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*groans*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know; I'd have to know more about who has met whom to know.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC came to my house once about 14 years ago.

So one.

My mom asked him which of his books was his favorite.

He asked her which of her children was her favorite.

She said my older brother.

She then said she was kidding.

I'm scarred for life. . .

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

kq, it must be two -- unless you've met him -- neh?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Just a clarification:

If you have met OSC, you are separated by one degree. If you are OSC, you are separated by zero.

Please continue.

Oh. One, then.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin Bacon is hot.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm two degrees from Cameron Diaz and one degree from Jared Leto.

And also, I get Kevin Bacon and Kevin Spacey mixed up.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*squints*

Really?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm two degrees away from Kevin Bacon -- one of my missionary companions was an extra in Footloose (he was from Lehi, Utah, where it was filmed).
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if anyone I've met has met him. If so, two; if not, three, because I know for certain that at least one person I've met has met more than one person who has met him.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
pH it's easy. Kevin Bacon is hot, Kevin Spacey isn't.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah but Kevin Spacey is the better actor. Kevin Bacon is too cheesey.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm one degree away from OSC, since I've met him, but the more circomlocutious degrees are more fun.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Just a clarification:

Please continue.

Then make me two degrees. I met rivka who met Mr. Card.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
yeah but Kevin Spacey is the better actor. Kevin Bacon is too cheesey.

Some people enjoy cheesy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.