FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cold War

Author Topic: Cold War
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

- posted      Profile for CalvinandThomasHobbes   Email CalvinandThomasHobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here know a lot about the Cold War?
Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
What did you have in mind? Many of us are survivors. Some are veterans.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived through the last 20 yrs or so. What specifically do you need to know? How we all grew up "knowing" we'd die in nuclear fire?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, wasn't that back in the days when people believed duck and cover would save you from a nuke?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
It would from a small clean tactical one.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Advent: Not by the 80s we didn't =) Many of us had adopted the idea of "Ya know.. I think I'd rather not survive..." especially after seeing "The Day After"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

- posted      Profile for CalvinandThomasHobbes   Email CalvinandThomasHobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The topic of my english term paper is the 1950's. So I decided I would write about the cold war. I know the basics but I need some help coming up with a topic/thesis for my essay. Anything about the political situation, the viewpoints of Americans and the Russians. Also the essay is a persuasive essay. Any ideas?
Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any ideas?
Yep. Do your own homework. [Smile]

(I'd be more than happy to help critique your ideas, or refine them, or proofread. But you need to at least do your own brainstorming and have an idea or a direction you want to focus on before asking for help.)

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, before you get dogpiled with suggestions to do your own homework, I can suggest that you look at the changing nature of propaganda from WWII (which was the 1940's and "hot war" to the 1950's "cold war."

How was the enemy portrayed by each government? In the press? In editorials and cartoons.

That sort of thing.

Of course, if you need to get this done in a short time frame, you will probably need to limit that to American views of the Russians, I suppose (unless you have vast resources and can read Russian).

Good luck.

Let us know if you see black helicopters.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

your right, I apologize. Now that I am using my brainpower, I want to write about a key figure who may have caused, been a catalyst, or ended the cold war. Not just a world leader, but someone (or a group) who influenced the cold war behind the scenes. My problem comes from the essay being pursuasive.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you feel that is a problem?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

It is a problem for me because I can write about an event for DAYS. But it would just be me babbling. I need to focus my essay to prove my thesis. (I am the type of person that doesn't back up my statements)
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

In an effort to focus my ideas I came up with the topic, who played the bigger role in causing, or keeping alive the cold war? Who had more propoganda? Who made more weapons? Who tried to spread their influence more? What do you think?
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

Still to broad. Try Marshall Plan or Berlin Airlift, or Nixon's status with the "Right" allowing him the creditability to end the Viet Nam war, or Reagon's rearmament bluff bankrupting the Soviet Union and ending the cold war. Nothing over a couple of years time span.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're stuck with the '50s, right? So you're looking for a figure who seriously impacted -- either shortening or lengthening -- the Cold War during that period, right?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
50's? Cold war huh? do it on the Korean war and how it helped polarize geopolitics and how the two super powers began a policy of fighting in surrogut fronts and how both sides set up friendly governments, sometimes toppling democracies in the process for political expediancy.

Don't forget Sputnik and how it helped start the space race!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: 'Surrogate'

CaTH: Pick one thing, something, anything, that seems interesting and narrow it down to answer a why question such as (hypothetically) Why did so and so support such and such despite the fact that <insert people> were against it?

Thesis-in-a-bottle.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

Blayne Bradley: The korean war was my second choice and it's starting to sound a little better.

TomDavidson: exactly.

Teshi: very good explanation, it's a shame my teachers couldn't have told me that, thanks

i think i am going to do some research on Blayne Bradley's idea. THANKS A MILLION

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it helps to keep to a topic. The Korean War is by far the easier one.

However, if you decide to stick to the Cold War, a quick glance through a book called "Blind Man's Bluff" could come in handy. It's about submarines during that time. It's been a while since I read it, and also may not fit the exact scope of your report. It was a good book though.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Two great miniseries to watch on the Cold War: "Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy" and "Smiley's People".
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.