FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alright Hatrack. That is it. I have had ENOUGH!!! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Alright Hatrack. That is it. I have had ENOUGH!!!
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1st and 6th post
Well, the long conversation is pretty hard to read... but that's almost always the case when you are copying long IM conversations into a post. (Truthfully, if you do that and it is pages long, I probably won't read it.) But the rest of the 1st post and the entire 6th post is pretty easy to understand.

I will say, though... contrary to what I said earlier, all the grammar complaints I see on that thread are polite and civil. I don't have a problem with that (politely requesting better grammar, that is).

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Being patient is one thing if someone is making an effort or has not mastered the language. I think we are referring more to those who don't understand the value of trying to use proper English. You have mistakes in your post, as I am sure I do, but it is not difficult to read what you are posting. Some posts are painful to read and I think those are the ones we are talking about.

Also I tend to nitpick mistakes if someone is flaming others. It is just a passive agressive thing. I should stop now.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you pronounce "Xaposert"?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
"exhausto-spert"?
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

"Zap-o-sert"?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You're absolutely right, Shan; my statement was a little extreme. I didn't mean that we should completely brush someone off if they're not totally clear. However, if someone makes no effort to be understood, they shouldn't be surprised if some people don't bother to read what they write.

To be honest, I don't proofread what I write, and I don't expect others to. Since none of this is getting ready to go to press, clear writing is sufficient. But if someone points a problem with my writing, or if I see one myself, I will fix it. I don't think it's too much to ask that people fix any problems in their writing that inhibit clarity.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to know who deleted their *&%^$ post, knocking my thoughtful, beautifully expressed post to the bottom of page two, when it started on the top of page 3.

I've half a mind to cut-n-paste the whole dang thing again on this page.

*grrrr*

Edit to add: [Smile] at Jon Boy

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:

I always read it as "Tresopax."
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I think no matter what, someone should be given a first chance. If they're new, then people should kindly inform them. However if they have been here as long as me, (4 months) then they SHOULD definitely know, and not do so. Only then should they be ignored, and only if they do this continuously, and not totally ignored, but minorly, or partially.
Shan
Member # 4550

Hmmmm. I am thankful that there have been some people in my life that have been willing to sit quietly with me while I stammer, falter, think slowly, think too quickly and have to re-think and then restate . . . in short, to bear with my jumbled version of expression/communication, and keep sifting until they find the pearl in the sand.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always read it as "Tresopax."
Funny how that works... [Wink]

I forget how many people have said this, but I feel the need to agree: I do not often take the time to read through posts when they're incomprehensible. I find that enough when I grade papers - I don't need to spend my free, voluntarily-spent time wading through slogs of bad grammar and sloppy punctuation. If I see something that I can understand, I want to read it more. Finite, end of story.

Is sloppy posting a component of laziness? Probably. Disrespect? I doubt it. We're all here (I hope) because we want to be and because we respect the ideas on which this forum exists. It can't change to accomodate either the lazy or the, well, Nazi.

I have also never seen a grammar correction request post that was rude, unless the original post was rude or inflammatory in some way, or if the original were made in jest, in which case all bets are off.

I suggest everyone get over it and move on. Let's all try to be a bit more constructive in our criticisms and our responses to it.

(Wow, in reading that, I just realized how conciliatory and hand-holdy [which is not a word, I understand] I sound. Oh well.)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I agree Carrie, you hit the hammer right on the head...

or wait a second....

I love idioms. [Wink]

clod
Member # 9084

And, I love idiots.

What can be more fun than to make fun? Making fun, much like making love, requires an intimate idiocy, n'est pas?

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

quote:
Originally posted by clod:
And, I love idiots.

I believe you put the comma in the wrong place. I think it should read:

And I, love idiots.

[Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

Why not:

And I love, idiots.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

That works too, so far as I know. It would only work if you responding to someone else who said they loved they loved something else. This applies to mine also, but not the first one; so far as I know.
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Love idiots, Andi?
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I suppose that works. is the person's nme Andi?
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
Hmmmm. I am thankful that there have been some people in my life that have been willing to sit quietly with me while I stammer, falter, think slowly, think too quickly and have to re-think and then restate . . . in short, to bear with my jumbled version of expression/communication, and keep sifting until they find the pearl in the sand.

Sure, in conversation. We all um and er when it comes to talking. But when writing, you have all the time you want.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I think the crucial part is the tone of voice accompanying each way of phrasing these sentences, no?

*grin*

Shan
Member # 4550

Well, KOM -- even with having all the time in the world, there are still those that really are not very competent in the world of clear written discourse.

And, I think part of good listening in this unique world of web-based communications, is giving just as much consideration to the written word . . . which really is substituting from good 'ole down-home porch front evening chats, really . . .

Reticulum
Member # 8776

That is the crucial part, Shan. Though I must say, that is trivial. BTW, you just hit 4600 posts.

[Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

[Razz]
Reticulum
Member # 8776

*gasp!!!*

You are a fiend!

Shan
Member # 4550

4600?

Oh dear . . . must be time to change to a new screen name for a while . . .

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shan:

Now that's a beautifully expressed post.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Why, thank you, cheiros.

The post is not half as beautiful as the people who have spent the time listening, looking for, and then helping me to see those pearls.

I think we all need a little of that in our life.

*smile*

Reticulum
Member # 8776

My my... aren't we the philosophical one?
Shan
Member # 4550

Nope. Not at all.

Just expanding my post count.

[Evil Laugh]

Fear not. I am soon heading to slumberland where I will dream philosophy rather than spout it.

[Big Grin]

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Well then, someone is conceded, and cares about self image. That person is Shan. [Big Grin]

I myself, look scruffy, but not too scruffy.
HJC; Scruffy looking Nerf Herder.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Funny, whenever I read it, it sounds like new chalk on a chalk board.

[Taunt]

Here's another take on the issue, where OSC actually chimed in.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Who the hell do you think you are again?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I am hu...man?
clod
Member # 9084

*puts towel under microscope*

*studies intensely*

*rubs eyes and stands to declare*

"It's pre-classical Western. Prolly Egyptian. Middle-kingdom, maybe."

*crickets chirp*

'specially that crotchety Jiminey the PoMo. I'll tell you a story about him when I find the time.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

42?
clod
Member # 9084

que?
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Scythrop: you need to edit to add a necessary "s." [Wink]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Erso -

I know, as my lovely wife pointed out, except if I edit and correct now, it'll make her post below mine nonsensical, so I decided I'd just let it go.

so, 'contantly' it is.

I guess this is Davidson's Law at it's finest [Wink]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know, as my lovely wife pointed out, except if I edit and correct now, it'll make her post below mine nonsensical, so I decided I'd just let it go.

so, 'contantly' it is.

I missed her post, and I demand that you ignore the woman you've committed to spending the rest of your life loving and obey me, an internet stranger.

Now.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
That is the end of my rant.

Why do I suspect that's not entirely true?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent:
Sort of. But this is the only night I will ever do it. Sorry, but I just wanted to get the word out quickly.

You don't need to get the word out. Everyone sees every thread on the front page. If people aren't posting, it's not because we missed it and just need a reminder to go check it out. More likely it's that it's a thread that's thoroughly uninteresting to everyone who's currently on the board. Just because no one's posting doesn't mean it didn't get read.

And furthermore, I think double posting is similar to running a red light: The only times it's alright is in the middle of the night (when no one's around) or in an emergency.

You triple posted three times yesterday (that I saw). Just something to think about.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe you put the comma in the wrong place. I think it should read:

And I, love idiots.

I believe it should be "whom"

[Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

From FlyingCow's link, OSC's take on the issue:

quote:
You already heard my feelings about this, and quoted them. Only pinheads get upset about informality online.

We make typos. Sometimes they're funny and we get teased about them. But this is conversation, NOT formal essay writing.

Because the standards are high here people naturally try to look respectable. That's a good thing, but one requiring neither enforcement nor encouragement.

At the same time, people here are (or should be) tolerant of those whose spelling skills are not well-developed, those for whom English is a second language, or those whose native English is a dialect or subset of English with different rules. From what I've seen, that tolerance is pretty well-developed and widespread, and I appreciate it. I'd hate to have anyone think that their lack of mastery of grammar rules disqualified them from taking part as full members of this community.

Especially since I generally find that the people who are most fussy about grammar rules are usually the very ones who have no idea what they're talking about - the ones who have embraced pinheaded, invented "rules" like not ending sentences with prepositions, etc. I've been a copy editor - and a very good one. I see EVERY grammar mistake. And I invariably find them in the writings of people who presume to criticize the grammar of others.

NOBODY speaks or writes without error. You get into a sentence and forgot how you began, so you end it differently (and ungrammatically). So what? In conversation, we forgive things like that all the time. All I was saying was, online postings are treated like a branch of oral conversation - we are informal. We tolerate error as long as sense is clear and the intention is communication.

Let none feel unwelcome because they do not measure up to some arbitrary ruleset on formal language usage! EVERYBODY speaks the grammar of their own dialect PERFECTLY. (And yes, I am deliberately using the plural possessive THEIR with the formerly singular but now felt-as-plural "everybody" because it's more convenient and is long established in common usage.)

Please note the part about how grammar requires "neither enforcement nor encouragement", and the distinction between an online conversation and the requirements for formal essay writing.

quote:
Your guess is as good as mine.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, tres, I guess you can keep on preaching to anyone who'll listen about how unimportant good grammar is. Using perfect grammar.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Heh... I wish I could use perfect grammar, but I only wrote three sentences in that last post and I suspect there's mistakes even in that.

For instance, does the comma go inside or outside quotations? I can never remember that, but I think it looks better outside.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I can't either, but I've never seen any mistake that obscure or trivial corrected.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's polite to tell someone, once or twice, that their grammar, spelling, or punctuation makes reading their post so difficult that you won't bother to do so.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I will repeat, once again, my comments were directed at Reticulum who, as you can see if you look at the very first post in this thread, is capable of grammatical utterance. Tres, you're just being contrary again, for the fun of it.

If it's not "allowed" to point out that one person's time savings is costing others even more time in mentally deciphering the post, I guess I'll wait to hear from our host or moderators about that.

I agree with OSC that it's a conversation, that the rules are relaxed, and that we ought to be extra patient with people whose skills are weaker, for whom English is a second language, or those who come from a place where the rules of English are different. Does any of that apply in this specific case?

I pointed out to Reticulum that I, personally, quit reading his posts (and those of others) when I can't understand them. I quoted an example where I quit after the 3rd word, in his case. It may not be "friendly" but it is constructive in that I can point to exactly what MY personal reaction was and why. It's not rude to do so. If OSC doesn't like, I'm sure someone from his team will let me know. Reticulum wasn't happy with my criticism. I would never have even mentioned it were it not for him making this thread in which to rant about it. I felt like he lacked a certain perspective on why he might be getting a reaction other than the one he expected.

Patience is great. I think you'll find me extremely silent on most things I find to be simple errors of communication. But if someone asks, or complains...have they not opened the subject up for discussion? If they'd wanted a private space, they have other means of communicating that, right? A BB is inherently FOR discussion. An invitation to discuss the topic is what the act of starting a thread equates to. Even if the first post is a rant.

Finally, mistakes in grammar can and do change the sense of an utterance. If that's not the undergirding of meaning, in the STRUCTURAL sense in which I used the term (i.e., literally), then I suppose you'll have to educate me in the proper use of terminology too, if you feel up to it. Your analogy literally falls apart, though. To call grammar a mere "shell" when it can change absolutely the sense of an utterance is just ridiculous -- as in worthy of ridicule. It is obviously false, and thus undermines the remainder of your argument.

Your take on it leaves sentences without structure, period. And that is not a "shell" issue at all. A boneless human wearing t-shirt (the shell) may well still be human, but recognizing and interacting with that pile of protoplasm would be nigh on impossible for anyone without specialized training and a great deal of preparation.

And my assertion is that if we all have to study "Grammar-sub-reticulum" and "Grammar-sub-person x" and "grammar-sub-person y" in order to have a discussion, then there will never be discussions. There will be long, laborious reading sessions followed by endless attempts at clarification.

In some situations, that is worth the effort. As when we are at the brink of disaster and trying to avert war with some group we barely understand.

Your assertion is that it ALWAYS worth the effort, and that I am wrong to quit reading a post I don't understand. That I should struggle with until I master each person's idiosyncratic form of communication. And that the burden is all on me to make their meaning shine through.

I think you are being unrealistic and contrarian.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.