FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Blood Drive (Page 0)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Hatrack Blood Drive
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. (I'm a student myself.)

There's no sugar in meat and dairy, so THAT won't help you. What about whole- grain bread and cereals? Do you like that? It's a source for B, too.

I'm pretty sure the low blood sugar is not a problem regarding the quality of your blood. Drink a big glass of orange juice to increase your blood sugar before the actual donation, so you won't faint. You know, like a diabetic.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Some easy rules for your diet:
- as fresh as possible
- eat different (natural) colours over the day (red tomatoes, green spinach, oranges etc.)
- eat what you want to eat- your appetite is there to tell you what you need

You don't need every nutrient every day. You just shouldn't spend a whole week without having eaten at least an apple!
Do you know, that tomatosauce is better than fresh tomatoes? Fact! (I eat a lot of apples and spaghetti... [Wink] )

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you link to these studies? Because the ones I am familiar with indicate that at the doses found in most multivitamins, there is little risk of the side effects you mention. Those come from overdosing, which is obviously a bad idea.

Vitamin pills are, taken as per the directions, a good form of health insurance. As a smoker, you might consider that.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Pinky, my problem isn't needing MORE sugar. It's that I need to eliminate as much sugar and simple carbs from my diet as possible. My hypoglycemia came back, so if I have sugar/simple carbs, my body will burn through them really quickly, and my blood sugar will drop super fast, and I'll start feeling sick.

[Frown] It's not a fun diet. I really want me some ice cream and gummi worms.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I called today. I have an appointment for tomorrow. I'm terrified of needles and because of that I've never given blood before. I also figured I'd grow out of it. I don't seem to be growing out of it on my own so perhaps I need to do this to get over it. [Razz]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Amancer, I think the scariest part is when they first put the needle in. That's the part where you absolutely can't look! For me, anyway. After they already have everything set up though, I think it's kind of cool to watch, and it helps me freak out less.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My doctor recommends I take a multivitamin. The amounts in commercially available multivitamins are no where near the amounts of various vitamins that have been shown to be harmful. And a lot of the stuff in there (calcium, iron, folate) are things that you need to get on a regular basis, not things that are helpful to up your dose of when you're feeling sick. So pH, if you have a question about if your Justice League chewables are right for you, you should probably talk to your doctor or nutritionist, who can evaluate your diet and see if they're necessary/beneficial or not. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the scariest part is when they first put the needle in. That's the part where you absolutely can't look! For me, anyway. After they already have everything set up though, I think it's kind of cool to watch, and it helps me freak out less.
It's exactly the same for me.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Can you link to these studies? Because the ones I am familiar with indicate that at the doses found in most multivitamins, there is little risk of the side effects you mention. Those come from overdosing, which is obviously a bad idea.

Vitamin pills are, taken as per the directions, a good form of health insurance. As a smoker, you might consider that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anybody.

I have no links, I didn't get this info from the Internet. (The newer Info is from BBC.)
I've been just interested in nutrition for approximately 15 years. Taking extra vitamins became almost a kind of religion over the years, as if you had to face scurvy if you don't take pills! The benefit of vitamin pills is highly overestimated. Why swallow pills when you are healthy? Is that a special kind of hypochondria?

If your doctor recommends extra- vitamins, then take them, but usually you don't have a lack of ALL the vitamins and minerals and trace minerals that you get from a multivitamin.

Whatever, whether you take extra-vitamins or not, one shouldn't refrain from eating healthy food, just because you feel 'safe' by taking those pills. But this way, one doesn't get the secondary active agents (?) such as flavonoide. And it's quite easy. One apple a day... [Smile]

Amanecer
Member # 4068

I did it! I followed pH's advice and looked away as the needle went it, and then later as they readjusted the needle. After that, it really wasn't so bad. Yay! [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
The no-looking-at-the-needle is a great trick. I also have them cover the sight so I don't see the metal stuck in my arm.

I'm eligible again on Monday and will be donating at the mobile at the grocery store at 1pm.

I have a question though. I heard you're not supposed to donate if you have cold or flu symptoms. I had a cold about a month ago and while I don't feel sick now, my cough and congestion hasn't gone away yet (I should see a doctor but I don't have the time or money.) I don't have a fever and there's a good chance that my problems now are allergen-related rather than a cold. How does being sick affect a blood donation and how sick do you have to be to be turned away?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I don't mind seeing it once it's already in my arm. In fact, I'm fascinated by it. You should've seen how amused I was when I had to get an IV in the back of my hand. I mean, it sucked. And I had a nasty bruise afterwards, but it was COOL to look at! And when they started the IV, this really weird cold feeling spread through my hand and arm. That amused me, as well.

But I can't watch needles going in. I can't even watch them on tv. I start cringing and squirming and have to cover my eyes.

Glad my advice helped, Amancer! [Big Grin] Yay!

-pH

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
From the American Red Cross website:
quote:
Cold, Flu, Sore Throat
Wait if you have a fever or a productive cough.
Wait if you feel unwell on the day of donation.
Wait 2 days after you have completed antibiotic treatment for sinus, throat or lung infection.

quote:
How sick do you have to be to be turned away?
You need to use your own judgement here. If it were me, I would wait until I was at 100%.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Gave blood today. My favorite part was the cookies, and my least favorite was the insertion of the needle and the golf they were showing on TV.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Val, if I waited until I was 100% non-symptomatic, I would almost never be able to give. My cold has been over for a week, but the allergic rhinitis will linger for a month or more. But I can feel the difference in symptoms, and while I wouldn't give while I had a cold, I will give when it's just my allergies acting up.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Thanks, Val.

Rivka, so you felt fine giving blood? That's good to know. I really do think it might be allergies. My car is covered in strands of pollen every morning and I've had a couple of blood noses so it probably is just junk in the air screwing with sinuses. Plus the weather that is summer one day and winter the next.

Guess my job is to get tested for allergies now.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, how many pints are we up to now?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
Rivka, so you felt fine giving blood?

I have, yes. Not when my allergies were in FULL flare-up, but when they're minor (as they are all too much of the time), yes.
ElJay
Member # 6358

I haven't been keeping track. [Blushing] I've just kinda figured I'd bunp this every two months or so when I'm eligible to donate again, and eventually get everyone on schedule with me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I'm not saying that everyone needs to wait until they are 100%, just that I would wait. Shanna, I would see your doctor before donating, just to make sure to it really is just allergies. Just remember, some very sick people may get your blood, and I think that there is no reason to take any risk. Your blood isn't needed that badly.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Pinky, my problem isn't needing MORE sugar. It's that I need to eliminate as much sugar and simple carbs from my diet as possible. My hypoglycemia came back, so if I have sugar/simple carbs, my body will burn through them really quickly, and my blood sugar will drop super fast, and I'll start feeling sick.

[Frown] It's not a fun diet. I really want me some ice cream and gummi worms.

-pH

Oh, sorry. That's hard! I thought "low blood sugar" means you need to get more sugar from your food. I'll do some research on your problem. (Out of curiosity... I don't think I can find out anything that you don't know yet...)
Pinky
Member # 9161

When I donated blood on Monday (20th), it only took me 4 1/2 minutes! I was pretty surprised about that, because I didn't make any effort to drink more than a cup of coffee that morning. I even expected my blood to run slower than usual, because I didn't drink enough. (My average time is 6 minutes; I time it to entertain myself during the donation. [Smile] )

In the last three months I donated platelets every second week, and I always have to drink lots of water in the 24hours before the donation. Otherwise, my blood wouldn't run fast enough to 'satisfy' the machine. Despite, it takes me 100minutes to give three packages of platelets, instead of the usual 85-90 minutes.

I know that the body has it's own kind of memory, so I wonder if I was able to donate blood so unusually fast this time, because my body already 'expected' to donate or something. That there wasn't time enough to 'forget' the last donation, because it was only two weeks ago. I don't think it's very likely, but this last blood donation remains a mystery to me, nonetheless.

P.S.: I had an average blood pressure etc., my measured values didn't really change in years.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Pinky : Last time I donated platelets the nurse told me to avoid greasy food the day before because it makes the blood less fluid. Could it be linked to this?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Now, THAT's a possibilty! Thank you! I probably drank too much before I donated platelets. My blood's fluidity improved by that, but I also watered it down, and the machine had to filter more of it to get enough platelets.
I can't remember what I ate on Sunday (19th), but maybe I DID eat less greasy food than usual.

My inner scientist (new project! [Big Grin] )suggests to write down everything I eat and drink on the day before a donation. I think, I'll follow his advice. Could be interesting. [Smile]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm booked to donate on Wednesday at 4pm. Anyone want to come hold my hand?

[Angst]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I don't think my hand reaches that far!
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally donated yesterday!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yay!
ElJay
Member # 6358

*bump*

Time to donate again! The Red Cross called me last week to set up an appointment, I'm going in about 10 minutes. If it's been more than 60 days since you last gave whole blood, please consider making an appointment and donating.

[Smile]

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
It has. But it has been less than a week since platelets. So there.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
They called me last week, too. I'm trying to go on Friday. And I found out last time that I gave that I'm type O-, so I feel an extra need to go more regularly.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an appointment for July 1st for platelets. Also one for mid-July. Another for the end of July. Another for the middle of August. They try to book me four donations in advance now [Smile] . They take platelets every time, and sometimes they take plasma as well.

I don't manage to get a donation in once every two weeks, because I can only donate on weekends and after work, which are times that everyone wants to donate. I've been able to get about one in every three weeks though for the last few months (I was on medical deferal before April).

Its pretty cool now, the Red Cross has started sending you notices when your donation has been used. I got one just a couple weeks ago, myself. I think that will get more people to be return donators.

Niki's best friend's mom had her life-long friend pass away recently of a disease which destroys your platelets (Hepatitis C?) and they said that they ran out of platelets in Omaha trying to keep him alive (he didn't make it). Considering I had donated my platelets just a couple of days before, I wondered if mine managed to get used either for him or before him.

(I'm not sure how type matching is done for platelets, but since I am A, I don't think they would have used mine if he was B or AB)

The last time I donated, it only took 56 minutes (normally it takes 76+). They have some new software and new kits that make the process go about 15-20% faster on some of their machines. The nurse mentioned that it hadn't yet been approved by the FDA yet, so they couldn't put it on all of them. It'll be nice when I know it will only take an hour.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I had partial skin cancer (got rid of it before it got bad) so they wont take my blood.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

[Frown] That's a scary thing to hear Human. Glad you're better.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scheduled for this coming Friday for my quarterly whole blood donation. They keep trying to convince me to come in every 60 days because I'm O+, but then that messes with my other appointment that tag-teams with this.

Oh, and I received a nice ballpoint pen in the mail this week. Some time ago (no idea when) I'd registered for Lifesource's Gold Donor Club. Four donations a year gets you "appreciation gifts". Hey, I'm gonna donate anyway, I may as well get something tangible for it, right? LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have an appointment to donate on Thursday. And apparently Cedars had something to honor everyone who has given a gallon (or two, or three, etc.) last week. I couldn't go, but it was cool to hear that I've successfully donated 10 pints.

[Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Cool, rivka!
Xavier
Member # 405

I just got a notice in the mail today that my platelet donation on 4/30/06 was used by a 66 year old male recieving a heart bypass surgery [Big Grin] . Its so cool that they tell you this now.

I know that platelets have a pretty short shelf-life, so they must just take a while to send these notices out. I wonder when I will get my next one.

I donated last about two weeks ago, and my next appointment was scheduled for Saturday the first. I'll be in Minnesota then though, so unless those I will be hanging out with want to organize a group donation, I'll next donate on the 15th of July.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

That's really cool. I've never gotten something like that, but then again I don't give platelets, only whole blood.
Xavier
Member # 405

I think it may be by region.
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, I forgot to post.

My iron was too low (again, despite taking a daily (well, pretty much [Blushing] ) multivitamin. But just a tad -- so I'm trying again in a couple weeks.

I have to remember to eat steak the day before or something.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I donated last week (whole blood).
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting to be eligible again since the Africa trip -- I think I have about a month to go. <Sets reminder to check.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's time that I could give again. I should check and see. My iron was super low after the last donation, and my ferritin as well, and my hemoglobin. So I wonder if it has recovered yet since then.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I'm going Wednesday at 4!

I haven't been in forever what with finals and then being in the hospital (for nothing that will make me ineligible) and off-and-on sick for weeks after.

But I've been working out, I'm chilling at summer school, and I'll have plenty of time for a good meal. I was looking for a chance for some good karma, cause I need it, and it seems like the blood drive at Sonic is my chance. haha.

EDIT: Just donated. Almost got turned away for my iron count, which is crazy because I'm on two kinds of iron pills right now. But once they tested me again, they let me donate. I was in the hospital last week so I kinda panicked right before they stabbed me, but the nurse calmed me down. She talked to me the whole time, which was nice. Atleast until I commented on how quickly my bag had filled up since it usually takes a long time. Then she started talking about how my veins are the kind that "blow" easy. The details grossed me out and I nearly passed out (couldn't hear anything, wanted to sleep, etc.) But I was able to finish and I bounced back quick. Even got a free coupon for a Sonic ice cream cone. And I'll be eligible to donate again in time for the back-to-school drive.

[ June 29, 2006, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Shanna ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I guess I forgot to post when I gave in July (had the low crit, higher 5 days later thing again).

Gave today. My iron was barely high enough (she ran the counter over the sample once and it was one low; tried it again and it was just ok.) Next time they want me to give platelets. [Smile]

And they had the shortbread cookies which I love, but never buy -- I only have them when I donate.

Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that sounds great! I can't contribute until after November 11th, since I got a tattoo less than a year ago, but after that I'm good to go.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I donated on August 28 (took a day off work to be home for anticipated first-day-of-school bus problems and ran over while I had the chance). Eligible again in late October.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I just donated. I had no issues with iron count (45%), but I did have a problem with my veins. The BloodCenter had requested some volunteers for Red Blood Cell donation. I signed up thinking I wouldn't have any issues.

Well, when I went in, they had a hard time finding a vein. I went back to my desk and chugged down water for a few hours. When I got back, the veins were much more obvious but not enough for the machine.

Is there anything I can do leading up to the donation to help? They seemed really interested in my blood type for the donation so I went out of my way to help, but, in the end, I gave whole blood.

I realize that whole blood is still very important, but I'd like to be able to help a bit more.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.