FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Australia vs USA

Author Topic: Australia vs USA
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Bam!
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is a very complicated matter. If it were sheer force, and all of the US agreed to it, and put full effort to it, then the US would most assuredly win. But what would cause this war? What kind of war is it? What kind of VS. is it?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But what would cause this war?
I would.

quote:
What kind of war is it?
A severe one.

quote:
What kind of VS. is it?
Very severe.

Bam!

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

What a mature response.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Reckon.

Bam!

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Ammersmat!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
We wouldn't have to take over. They'd welcome us in with open arms, and we'd make Australia the 52nd state, after Canada.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Except that's not part of the Plan. [Wink]
Reticulum
Member # 8776

And Porto Rico. [Wink] Speaking of which, they are holding a referendum to vote to of whether or not to change it's status. I think it should go for statehood.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
The US would win and then wonder what on earth to do with all this inhabitable land and strange people who eat vast amounts of vegemite.

Of course underground Australian resistance movements would form. Beer would be drunk. I'm not sure what else would happen, but beer would most assuredly be drunk.

I guess it would be good for improving the US's swimming medals at the Summer Games though. (;p)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Yes! Then we would lose at nothing! Except humility!
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

quote:
The US would win and then wonder what on earth to do with all this inhabitable land and strange people who eat vast amounts of vegemite.
[ROFL]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
lol imogen. It wouldn't really help the medals THAT much though, the US is already pretty strong, all it would do is kick out half the US swim team and maybe pick us up a medal or two. It'd be more a help to everyone else to see half our team and half theirs out of the games.

I doubt Puerto Rico will vote for statehood.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Why? About 51% wants it.
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
They just want our freestyle mogul medal.

that's all it is.

Well they're not getting it.

So there.

*opens another beer*

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
While Australia and the United States are duking it out, I will be setting up my secret base on the moon from which I may conduct my top secret world domination operation.

Therefore, in the case of Australia vs. United States, the winner is: pH.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Hmm, well I don't really want the world; I want mars. So as long as everyone's happy with Reticulum (me - see his latest post) ruling Earth, pH the Moon, and I Mars, it's all good.

Yeah.

pH
Member # 1350

Excuse me, but I will be ruling both the Moon AND the Earth, thanks.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Is your user name pH, supposed to be like pH paper, or the pH of water, and acids, and bases? Always wanted to know that. Now I will.

[Smile]

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Fine with me, really. Just leave the barren dust pile, unbreathable atmosphere of Mars for me.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I want Eros. So I can dedicate it to Ender's Game.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
Is your user name pH, supposed to be like pH paper, or the pH of water, and acids, and bases? Always wanted to know that. Now I will.

[Smile]

pH means many things to many people.

-pH

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
If we're talking civilisation, Australia wins, no contest. And I'm not even Australian.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aren't you forgetting something, pH?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the US's superior nuclear arsenal, we would turn Australia into one giant uninhabitable desert full of freaks of nature not found naturally anywhere else in the world, giant reptiles, and the insane barbarians who play with them for our televised entertainment.

Ooops. Too late.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I say we delegate this fight to our two countries' respective lizards, as any civilized society would do. Therefore:

The Gila Monster vs. The Sand Goanna

Size: The GM grows up to about 2 feet long, whereas the SG can get up to about 5 feet from tip to tail. The GM is a bit squatter, and heavier for it's size though. This could be a David vs. Goliath matchup, but let's not forget that Goliath usually wins.
Edge: Sand Goanna

Coloration: GM has mottled beaded skin that can be black, orange, yellow, and pink. The SG is sort of a brownish yellowish color. And no pink!? What the hell Kiwis? Represent!
Edge: Gila Monster

Population size: No numbers on this one. But GMs are on the EPA's "threatened" list, whereas SGs are invariably described as common.
Edge: Sand Goanna

Weapons: Both have fairly vicious claws. The SG has a bite so full of bacteria that it nearly always results in festering wounds. The GM produces low quantities of a neurotoxin that paralyzes victims and sets in rapidly. It's not enough to kill a person, but the GM is known to bite hard and not let go. In the short run, I think the GM could knock out or kill the SG, but if the Gila takes any damage, it could just be a slow death coming. This one's a toughie.
Edge: Tied.

Winner: Sand Goanna. Mostly in virtue of size, in both meanings.

Crap. I'd better go buy an Australian flag. Damn "civilized combat." That was a stupid idea.

Unless we put lasers on the gila monsters' heads...

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Two words : Gloria Jean's. Try that, you'll never come back to Starbucks. And it's an Australian brand.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

quote:
Due to the US's superior nuclear arsenal, we would turn Australia into one giant uninhabitable desert full of freaks of nature not found naturally anywhere else in the world, giant reptiles, and the insane barbarians who play with them for our televised entertainment.

Ooops. Too late.

[Big Grin]

It's great, living in a nuclear-holocaust-proof country.

quote:
Two words : Gloria Jean's. Try that, you'll never come back to Starbucks. And it's an Australian brand.
Anna - GJ's is definately a step up from starbucks, but for really decent franchise-type coffee you can't go past DOME
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the US has the population base, the military, and the nukes, but the Australians have Moya and Talinn.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

And the beer. Never forget the beer....
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
Try that, you'll never come back to Starbucks.
Seriously, what's up with Starbucks? I don't think I've ever had a good cup of coffee from any one of em.

Speaking of beer, although I've never tried it, I have to give a nod to Carlton Draught. If only for their excellent advertising.

Scythrop
Member # 5731

One of the best beer ad campaigns ever.

it's a pity that the beer doesn't come up to scratch...

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
Aren't you forgetting something, pH?
I am the Moon Master. Look! It's the Gorgatron! He's in love! Shoot him in the head!

-pH

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Australia, as part of the US? Argh, f***!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.