FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Comic Books as Propaganda (not so unusual, it turns out) - Batman vs Bin Laden

Author Topic: Comic Books as Propaganda (not so unusual, it turns out) - Batman vs Bin Laden
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Comic Book Hero Takes on Al-Qaeda

Kind of interesting to see comic books return to this; as far as I'm aware this kind of thing hasn't been done, at least with big name superheroes, since WWII.

[ February 17, 2006, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Hulk was originally very anti-communist.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really? Despite being a big fan of Marvel in general as a kid I never got very into The Hulk. I'll be the first to admit the my knowledge of comic books is pretty limited.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

In the first issue, Banner cures a soviet agent named the "Gargoyle," who then gives a speech about how the capitalists saved him but communism couldn't.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
The book Freakonomic says that the Superman vs the KKK radio show is what broke the back of the KKK. Not that the same thing will happen here.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Iron Man's original origin had him getting his armor after he was injured in Vietnam, where he was a military advisor or somesuch.

The Fantastic Four fought a Soviet cosmonaut on the moon called the Red Ghost... the Avengers fought the Red Guardian... lots of Cold War supervillains were around in the early days of Marvel.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, plus they skewered the Ayahtolla Kohmeni in the Batman series where the second Robin died.
Noemon
Member # 1115

This is all very interesting; I really had no idea that comic books served as propaganda so frequently over the years.

[Edit--though I'm not sure that all of these really function as propaganda. I knew, for example, that Iron Man was originally forced to wear the suit to keep his war wounds in check, but I didn't remember it being an advocate of one side or the other in the Vietnam War.]

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the original Superman comics were pretty heavy on the propaganda. I particularly recall the cover where Superman is using his Super-strength to power a printing press that's punching out American flags. The caption is "Superman says : Slap a Jap today! Buy war bonds!"

There's a site out there that collects a lot of these; I think it's called "Superman is a dick", or something of that sort. I believe it's been linked before, but if you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a look.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that some of those on the "Superman is a dork" site are real.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting some of them aren't real - Photoshop is a powerful tool in the right hands. ^_^
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides just the origin of Ironman in vietnam, it was a very anti-communist comic in the beginning. At least half of the villains he fought were communist or backed by "the communist conspiracy" and Tony Stark was a sort of capitalist champion, the mega-successful businessman with lots of US defense contracts.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this once before, but it's a good excuse to post it again
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
Would you consider Miller's earlier "Dark Knight" work to be propoganda-laden? He takes pot shots at just about everyone in that one, including comic book propoganda itself (in the whole conflict with Superman). Is it still propoganda when you bag on everyone? He definitely took sides... just not what we would recognize as a particular political party line.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would you consider Miller's earlier "Dark Knight" work to be propoganda-laden?
Oh, dear God, yes. The only thing that's thicker in Miller's work than propaganda is misogyny.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Miller can pull it off, but this comic sounds like a REALLY bad idea.

I mean, yep terrorism is bad... but superheroes already fight generic supervillains/terrorists, and comics have always been full of "terrorism is bad" messages. Having Batman fight Al Qaeda... eh. Seems more to cheapen and trivialize the reality of Al Qaeda's terror.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless of course Al Qaeda wins.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I can assure you, the comics pictured at supermanisadick.com are real. I used to own more than a few of them.

Basically, DC's writers ran out of ideas. After coming up with new and more powerful ways for Superman to use his powers over and over again, he finally got too powerful to be interesting. What can you do to someone who can go through time, put the moon back in its orbit, etc?

That's when the different colors of kryptonite showed up, that all had weird results. That's the dream sequences came around, and the imaginary stories, and Superman having to be cruel to his friends (always for a good reason). And there seemed to be an unwritten law that there had to be a gorilla -- giant or otherwise -- in every third comic.

If you've seen the Adam West Batman TV show, that's what the comics were like then.

As for propaganda, I can't believe no one has mentioned Captain America yet. That's how his comics got their start, along with the Human Torch and Submariner. The fight against the Nazis.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the adventures of Kavelier and Clay, which is wonderfully energetic novel that I'm sure most of you have read, tells the story of how and why a boy used his comics to defeat anti-semitism.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Media that takes a stand you disagree with = Propoganda

Mediat that takes a stand you agree with = Activism

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.