FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Babelfish Detective: A Game (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Babelfish Detective: A Game
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this might be kinda fun to try.

One person takes a well known phrase/lyric/ quote/poem etc... pretty much any pop cultural reference, provided that it's somthing in popular usage.

Then they plug it into Babelfish , translate it into another language, then cut and paste it back into the translation box, and bring it back from the other language, into English.

Then cut and paste the results only here.

Other people then have to try and guess the original source, and the first person to do so gets to come up with and post the next translation, and so on.

An example:

when you take the first verse of, for example, the theme from Friends

quote:
So noone told you life was gonna be this way,
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D O A
Seems like you're always stuck in second gear,
And it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year...

and translate it into Korean, and then back again from Korean to English, you end up with:

quote:
You stab always inside 2 grade gears like life, the joke which is your one, it is you and it cuts off, your love life DOA, in order to be this method which is visible it talks the fact that it is going to you whom anyone it goes round like this, your one, is not your week your month or your year, this highland Anh
You post the second part only, and then the race is on to be the first to correctly interpret it...

Here's one to start off:

quote:
Once upon a time, I there is no partner in me, the sea urchin you feel. Occasionally, I rise like just my friend when there is I, the city and the city of the lonely angel where I who am simultaneous, have lived, us together, you feel
Good Luck!
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...cool game.

I got nothin.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Damnnn, this is hard
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony (Scythrop) has just confirmed to me that it is a song. Not that that hint helps me much.

He's also telling me I should know what it is. Hmmph.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

He also says that he has no idea where Babelfish got sea urchin from. So I'm guessing the original us *not* a song about odd sea dwellers.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
'City of Angels' by the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Guess I should probably go and hunt up a quote to put in...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

And we have a winner folks!

[Big Grin]

Now you get to post the next one!

Edit to add the original, untranslated text:

quote:
Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner
Sometimes I feel like my only friend is the city I live in
The city of angels
As lonely as i am
Together we cry

[ February 18, 2006, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

Alrighty then...

quote:
Me to come in, he us, will be Iss to the place which inside the shade has us inside his octopus regular staff and he will do when theyn inside the place shade inside the octopus regular staff and he wants in the lower part of the ocean
It even comes complete with words that don't exist.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Once the song has been correctly guessed, can you please post the original text?

Is that Octopus's Garden by The Beatles?

If it is, I have a good one lined up for the next one.

[ February 18, 2006, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: ricree101 ]

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

Yup, I was inspired by the mysterious sea urchin in Tony's.
Scythrop
Member # 5731

quote:
I'd like to be,
Under the sea,
In an Octopus' Garden,
In the Shade

Good one. Ricree, you're up!
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo... this is a good game! I just wish that I could actually figure out any of these. I've been totally lost since the beginning.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
btw...that Chili Peppers song is called 'Under the Bridge'.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I got "Octopus' Garden" right away. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is obvious, but I thought the translation was awesome:

quote:
, Little ASTRE glows, glows. How I am aroused curiosity what you are. On above the world as high, as a diamond in the sky, glows, little ASTRE glows. How I am aroused curiosity what you are.
The language was Dutch.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"Twinkle, Twinkle", of course. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hee, hee, here's one done English-Japanese-English, also pretty easy:

quote:
As for the mine eye glory of the thing where the main thing comes from the type where you can store the grape of the anger, him trampling and him hath which was seen loosened the fatal electric light of the that terribly fast sword; That truth marches!

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vineyard where the grapes of wrath are stored
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword
His truth is marching on.

Woo! And all from memory!

I have nothing to add. Someone else can put something in the translator for me. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

My pleasure. Here's one. Slightly more esoteric than my first, but I have a feeling that a few people here *coughchrisbridgesforexample* should get it...

quote:
Go out and in the opinion place have boil my love and, to have my ground, boil, to have, go. Me, B it will be free yet, from your me it will have it will go and and it does not worry a sky and.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Take my love, take my land,
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don’t care, I’m still free.
You can’t take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black,
Tell them I ain’t coming back.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can’t take the sky from me.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
It stops backwards in the black color I I beat been sack I too much long me I am contented to be stops backwards yes, me I am absolutely flabby of noose that it is kept me that hangs around.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in black!

quote:
It is the own needs, serv stupid the your own needs. Feed it outside of a ancillary speech, grunt, not, the resistance, beginning of the ladder in order to move noisily with fear gain the height.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

I knew that one was too easy.

Well done Dana [Big Grin]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
What a cool idea for a game!

*feels proud* I got the first four!! Hooray!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one:

Sweet sound was lost, the refuse rose forcing elegance which how rescues the pitiful person who is that my way, as for i one time, but AM which now is found was the blind person, but now I see

(english, japanese, english)

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Bando's is the first verse of Amazing Grace. [Smile] I don't know Tom's, or at least not yet. . .
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got Bando's too, but not Tom's.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

I think that Tom's is It's the End of the World as We Know it by REM
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but which specific lyrics?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:

world serves its own needs, don't misserve your own
needs. Feed it up a knock, speed, grunt no, strength no. Ladder
structure clatter with fear of height, down height

And here's a new one.

quote:
Never, it was not weak obi before jedi, but it was good before the week, as for me the house which you go away to yoda as for him straightly, as for him it was me exactly, naturally went, him it put in place the power which is shown
English->Japanese->English
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, we've done this game before, and it usually breaks down after someone reminds folks of the two line limit on copyrighted lyrics. And while I don't want to kill the game, I am doing the reminding.

Perhaps something other than song lyrics? Famous quotations or monologues, or even lyrics that are no longer copyrighted?

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Shakespeare, then.

quote:
So, late very good you completely. For me your hand, if we are the friend, and the robin will restore the compensation.
Ni!
Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

why can't we continue the game with a two line limit on song verses? What does "line" mean? Is that two sentences?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Or you can choose songs in the public domain. (That's anything published before 1923 or otherwise not under copyright.)
Strider
Member # 1807

I don't know too many songs published before 1923. [Smile]

I know some old russian folk songs, but I don't know if many people will get those...

ricree101
Member # 7749

Personally, I'd rather do songs. Then again, that's mostly because I'd be bad at getting quotes and such. Still, whatever people want to do is fine with me. However, I'd suggest at least including a rough type for the quote (ie book, song, movie, ect).

Two lines shouldn't be that big of a limitation, but there's no real reason not to broaden what is included.

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
KNWSI, that's the beginning of Puck's speech from the last scene of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I couldn't say it all completely, but one of my friends has it memorized.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our people, for which agree upon domestic warranties to form the quite perfect connection, which are facility justice, tranquil, supports together defend, the general welfare of the promotion and the united free Blessing for us and our descendants, and manufacture this condition?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I know! It's the preamble to the Constitution!

An old (1910) song, translated to Russian and back to English:

quote:
Prevent me to call you by sweetheart; I find in the love with you. Prevent me to hear, that you whispered that you you love me truly. You hold to incandesce loves bright in your eyes of such blue. Prevent me to call you by sweetheart; I find in the love with you.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me call you sweetheart, I'm in love with you.
Let me hear you whisper that you love me, too.
Keep that love light shining in your eyes so blue.
Let me call you sweetheart, I'm in love with you.
[Smile]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Soon a morning, hardly while the sun was increasing, I have felt one domestic to sing, in goes them here under.
English=>Italian=>English
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Morning has Broken, Dagonee?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Early one morning, just as the sun was rising,
I heard a maid singing in the valley below;

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Amilia got it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
An old (1910) song, translated to Russian and back to English:

Of course, that's the chorus. Anyone besides me know the verses off the top of their head? [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I had an abnormal upbringing.)
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
The mother his bed stood the low-end livestock open shed which puts her baby in the hazard manger in the place which it illustrates inside one king place bead
English - Korean - English
Tinros
Member # 8328

imogen, that has to be something from Away in a Manger.
imogen
Member # 5485

Close, but no cigar.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
The mother his bed stood the low-end livestock open shed which puts her baby in the hazard manger in the place which it illustrates inside one king place bead
You mean those aren't the regular words?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.