FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Babelfish Detective: A Game (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Babelfish Detective: A Game
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I'll give a hint: the word king didn't appear out of nowhere - although the word itself is not in the original excerpt.

The word bead did appear out of nowhere. I have no idea where that came from.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Had a Baby?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Another good guess, but not quite, Tante. (I know because Imogen told me the answer last night..)

It's more mainstream than that. Think towards the category of "other well known carols with 'Manger' in them..."

I'm sure Imogen will post a better hint when she gets into work later today...

And in the meantime, here's the first stanza of a well known poem, for people to get their heads around:

quote:
Me consideration Haess omitted and but one midnight in being desolate, if to be tired the knowledge in many ancient times ocean, it does. It went out and kku virtue time, to be near the napping, it was sudden and from that place who currently my, chamber door gentle knocks in it was and it knocked and it knocked and it came.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
The Raven
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Poe's Raven?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

(phooey. not fast enough.)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Gentle Mary Laid Her Child?
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Brinestone: Spot on the money. It was "Chamber Door" that gave it away, right?

Tante: Another good guess... but still no ;(

anyone here seen Love, Actually?

Just wondering...

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Actually, now I think about it, I'm suddenly not 100% certain that the carol in question actually featured in that particular film. So that might not be a very good hint at all. I'd disregard it. Unless I'm right, in which case it's useful...
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Scythrop:
Tante: Another good guess... but still no ;(

What do I know from Christmas carols, anyway? I'm Jewish!

So, let's see you try your hand at this Hebrew School Classic (translated from English to Italian and back again)
quote:
The Oh once that it gave a bad man badly and was its name haman, OH -! it tried to murder the whole Hebraeer but they do not have incolpare of, OH -!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

FYI, I not only found it online, I found it with a MIDI. [Big Grin]

And way more verses than I recall ever learning!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
quote:
The mother his bed stood the low-end livestock open shed which puts her baby in the hazard manger in the place which it illustrates inside one king place bead

Is it this? (found only w/ the aid of Google):

quote:
Once in royal David's city, stood a lowly cattle shed,
where a mother laid her baby in a manger for His bed:

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

That's it! [Smile]

Is Once in Royal David's City not a popular carol in the US? I guess not.

I really like it. It's got a lovely melody.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Now you have to find Tante's. [Evil]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Now you have to find Tante's. [Evil]

How 'bout this? (google again):

quote:
Oh, once there was a wicked, wicked man
And Hamen was his name sir,
He would have murdered all the Jews,
Though they were not to blame sir

I know the story--Esther and Mordecai and Hamen and all--but what's the name of the holiday that celebrates this? Is it Purim? (I guess I could google that too, but it's more fun to just ask!) And isn't there some pastry named after Hamen?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Oooh, you are a good googler! I tried and all I found was the lyrics for an amateur drama society's original Purim pantomime.

I'm guessing that's not what Tante was using.

rivka
Member # 4859

That is the song. [Smile] Here is the version with the midi -- and the more common spelling of Haman.

Yup, it is indeed related to Purim. As in hamentaschen. [Big Grin]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:

Is Once in Royal David's City not a popular carol in the US? I guess not.

I know the carol and also love it--but it didn't come to mind without some prompting! ;-)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Uprooted wins! It is indeed a Purim song. Purim is coming up soon, and we will all nosh some hamentashen , as immortalized in song.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK, here's one (Too easy, probably; not a song):
quote:

Because of a certain, or because as follows is not,: That is question: ' The topping lift and the arrow of a nobler inhuman good fortune it suffers with heart, or or trouble, and tis which takes the arm vis-a-vis the sea by in the opposite direction those finishes thing, how?

English-Japanese-English
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hey, rivka, since you have more hamentashen in your link than I have in mine, do you mind if I sample a few of yours?

Mmmm...Hamentashen. Mun is my favorite flavor!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
OK, here's one (Too easy, probably; not a song):
quote:

Because of a certain, or because as follows is not,: That is question: ' The topping lift and the arrow of a nobler inhuman good fortune it suffers with heart, or or trouble, and tis which takes the arm vis-a-vis the sea by in the opposite direction those finishes thing, how?

English-Japanese-English
To be or not to be...

That wacky Hamlet!

rivka
Member # 4859

Hamlet's soliloquy, Uprooted. [Drat! Foiled again! [Grumble] ]

Tante, enjoy! My favorite are red and orange jam ones, but mun are nice too.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

When the mun hits-a your eye like a big-a matzah brie...
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Yup, Hamlet of course. OK, your turn! I gotta get a life -- between this thread and the linguistic profile one . . .
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
In order to train rule one days which are to head it followed the that nye. In order to see the young pretense in the school it the child thread smallness low, the rice field.
A popular song, with which I am sure we are all familiar. (Out of copyright, I'm sure). The whole translation makes not a lick of sense to me; only one word seems to have made it there and back unscathed.

English --> Korean --> English

Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK - so can you give us a hint and tell us which word? Hope it's not "to," "that" "in" or "the"!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

"school" Oh, and also "rule".
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
This is easy, but my attempt at going from English to German to French to Italian to Portugese to Dutch to English:

quote:
Sector which frntière definitively these travel ship of the venture are task is: New denied worlds study, choose a new life and news of civilizzazioni. He bravely goes, where nobody has gone firstly.
This game's a hoot.

Tante: is it Pink Floyd's "The Wall"?

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
estavares's is something like this:

quote:
Space — the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her [whatever]-year mission — to seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Da-da-da-DAH!

Da-dada-da-dada-daaaaa. Dadadada Da Da da...

Aggh!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by estavares:
Tante: is it Pink Floyd's "The Wall"?

Nope. If no one gets it, should I just give up the answer?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Let us have a little more time.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK, now I feel bad because I killed the thread. I will attempt to resuscitate.
quote:
In order to train rule one days which are to head it followed the that nye. In order to see the young pretense in the school it the child thread smallness low, the rice field.
Translates to "It followed her to school one day, which was against the rule. It made the children laugh and play to see a lamb in school."
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Perhaps this one will be easier. English --> Russian --> English
quote:
I will be less brevity and stout tank of tea. Here my knob, will here be my spout. When I obtain everything after 4 it is evaporated upward, those that I shout. You will incline me over and pour on me outside!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good grief.

I was just looking up that one to translate.

My jaw has dropped.

"I'm a little teapot"

-----

Edited to add: I had come back to the thread to find the appropriate translator link, as BabelFish.com is a pay-for-service.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Correct! Your turn!
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a quick one:

quote:
As for that the wife we want the single person of possession ones of of the truth good fortune which is recognized generally that is and becomes it is. Opinion it is known, how it enters into the neighborhood perhaps whether feeling that kind of person a little it is that 1st, this truth him heart of thing and the around family which are considered as lawful quality of 1 or other than their daughters is such a healthy fixing.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
When the mun hits-a your eye like a big-a matzah brie...

That's amore. [Kiss]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
afr, I got no clue.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. However little known the feelings or views of such a man nay be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
rivka
Member # 4859

Pretty sure I'm right. But even if AFR confirms it soon, I'm about to be offline for 25+ hours.

So someone else can take my turn. [Smile]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He real step will be the place man who is not the times when it will sleep, anyone degree anywhere it will make a hazard plan and all his thing step inside the place ground which is not the times when it will sleep flesh n.
Popular song from the 1960's.

English ----> Korean ----> English

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

He's a real nowhere man Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

I think that's it -- but with all that "ground, sleep flesh" business I have no idea if "doesn't have a point of view" is part of the above or if I should stop where I did!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Wow! How'd you get that? I was baffled and I translated the thing in the first place.

Good job!

And you stopped it in just the right spot too.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Well, convoluted as it is, "the place man" made me think "the tax man" and that wasn't it but I guess it put my head in Beatles mode so "make a hazard plan" sounded oddly enough like "making all his nowhere plans" . . . and then "the place ground which is not" of course just had to be "nowhere land"!
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh, I guess "popular 60s song" was what really put me in Beatles mode. [Blushing]

(I know, there were no blushing graemlins in the 60s . . .)

Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
"And I populate curved and asked at the God at neon, which they made, and I mark trembled outside of its warning in the words, formed and the so-called indications "the words of the prophets on the basement walls and apartment-resounds written" and in the quiet noise whispered"

I'll give them credit, this had to go English-French-English-Italian-French-German-English before it became almost completely incomprehensible. I have had better luck with the Pledge in combinations of Dutch, Turkish and Tagalong.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Simon and Garfunkel, Sound of Silence.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Sounds of Silence.

"words of the prophets" kind of gives it away, I think.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.