FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blayne! Go away! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Blayne! Go away!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I was actually very moved by your last post.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you weren't offended when I dissed Halo? I love Red vs. Blue but Halo didnt match up to the hype.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop pirating Pdox games. Pirate EA games if you like, it's still theft but I don't like them.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I have never Pirated Paradox games (except EU2 but I deleted it) and I am sorry for asking you for them. I am currently buying at GREAT AND TERRIBLE price Victoria and Crusader King.

EA is unpiratable they're... just evil.

As for Hoi2 I got that from a friend which he bought that is not pirating under Canadian law.

Is that okay?

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
*gets in*

Well that was pretty hypocritical... Unless it was a joke.

*gets back out*

KOM's post, I mean.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<looks up Paradox games>

Strategy? Ah, no wonder.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

NOOOOOO! The Great Officer Purge, 10 Dissent and I lose my best Generals [Frown]
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
and people scattered across eastern europe who have no means of getting it in their own language. Thus I give it to them.

So did you translate the game into an Eastern European language, or are you simply stating that the game isn't commercially distributed there? But actually, who cares? It's Eastern Europe. If their laws still resemble Russia's, then copyright infringement may not be persecuted much. I mean, gee whiz, if it wasn't for bootlegs, who in the USSR would have heard of the Beatles?

quote:
I'm not awful, many people said that they think I'm not a malicious person, I just get paranoid sometimes. Sometimes as I look back, I wonder what I lost.
And your paranoia, that's what's ruining you!Attracting a member of the opposite gender is something that if you try too hard at, you'll fail. As Yoda once said, "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." Nothing creeps us girls out more than a guy who's obviously desperate!

Don't focus on trying to date a girl or get her in bed. If you're chatting with her, just enjoy the chat itself. Girls like a good listener.

However, I do think that you'd do well to get a job. You'll get out of the house on a more frequent basis, meet new people, and have something to chat about besides whatever you're doing on your computer. Girls like a guy who has a rich, well-rounded life... But, don't let your lack of a job hold you back from flirting with a girl in the first place. Some of us modern women can pay for our own dinners, ya know.

Also, renew your efforts to learn la francais or stop whining and move to a town where people know English (yes, it can be done). Alternately, try online long-distance "dating". I don't consider it a real relationship if you've never met the person physically, but online dating might be good practice for (or actually turn into) the real thing. If anything it's low-pressure, which might combat some of your paranoia, ease you into things a little.

Calm down. Breath deeply. It may not seem like it now, but your time will come. (if it can come for me, it can come for anyone)

quote:
And I met some christians who are nice and are fun to hang out with.
Do you go to any church, perhaps the one your christian friends go to (and may have invited you to already)? This makes me think of an article from The Onion .

If you make an honest effort to expand yourself socially, and thus improve your life in general, the dating thing may take care of itself.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a tip on how to deal with self-esteem issues, Blayne: don't get down on your knees and beg people to be your friend.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have never Pirated Paradox games (except EU2 but I deleted it) and I am sorry for asking you for them. I am currently buying at GREAT AND TERRIBLE price Victoria and Crusader King.

EA is unpiratable they're... just evil.

As for Hoi2 I got that from a friend which he bought that is not pirating under Canadian law.

Is that okay?

Excuse me, but that is pirating. And I very, very much doubt that Canadian law differs so much from the rest of the world. Your friend bought the right to play the game, he did not buy the right to copy it out to all and sundry.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

KoM is the only exception to that for me trust me. They're are many people whom I know are a88h0l3$ and aren't worth my time, trust me I don't beg for friends and no I am not christian I believe they're MIGHT be a God not I do not believe there is enough evidence to prove or disprove.

And also I do enjoy chatting with girls they're are some 2 dozen girls I consider from acquaintances to close friends. 2 in the latter most in the former.

I don't translate I just give them the english game because they cant get it period, they're own language would be comvenient, I'm learning Mandarin. Hi hao, Ni shunti hao ma?

As for "trying" that is the problem I try too little only twice I have made any significant attempts, both failed and were several years apart. One was because I was too shy and the second time I think I already explained a while back, she just wasn't interested.

I'll move out, I'll get a job and save up and move out. I'll move to Ste Annes where my college is. The only thing that might keep though is my computer I've heard somewhat to the effect that gift or not I don't think my parents will let me bring my OWN computer out of the house. I'm just going to have to save up extra money and buy a new one probly that will be my personal property.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

King of Men, I did indeed look this up a while back it is not infringing on Canadian Copyright laws to give a copy of a game to a friend.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Here: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-42/

I can't find where it says the lawful owner of a game cannot make a copy or give away private property. So far everything mentioned applies only to music.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you didn't look . . . at all.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-42/179288.html#rid-179289

quote:
3. (1) For the purposes of this Act, “copyright”, in relation to a work, means the sole right to produce or reproduce the work or any substantial part thereof in any material form whatever

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

You couldn't have been looking very hard, then. Canada is a signatory to the WIPO Copyright Treaty, which protects computer programs as literary works. Can you copy a book and give it to a friend? I think not.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And that means? Almosts sounds like that a company can't sell the game they themsleves made, I looked but it doesn't make sense.

Also what about the section about copying for private use? There's a certain lack of comprehension here.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

What about copying pages of a book and distributing it to a class? Nearly all ym teachers do it. I got his game his ORIGINAL CD, where does it say its illegal to give away private possessions? Otherwise it'ld be illegal to giveaway gifts.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Gah, too many people around here think that getting a boyfriend/girlfriend will solve their life problems. It won't. And do go out SO-hunting, either. It's obnoxious.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

SO? Sovereign Onion?
fugu13
Member # 2859

First, your "company can't sell the game they themsleves made" thing" is obviously nonsensical; since they hold the copyright, they're the ones with the right to produce or reproduce the work reserved to them.

There are significant exceptions for educational use, they're on the following page. That page also has an appropriate quotation, which constitutes almost all the fair use available in Canada wrt a computer program.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-42/179333.html#rid-179345

quote:
30.6 It is not an infringement of copyright in a computer program for a person who owns a copy of the computer program that is authorized by the owner of the copyright to
(a) make a single reproduction of the copy by adapting, modifying or converting the computer program or translating it into another computer language if the person proves that the reproduced copy is
(i) essential for the compatibility of the computer program with a particular computer,
(ii) solely for the person’s own use, and
(iii) destroyed immediately after the person ceases to be the owner of the copy; or
(b) make a single reproduction for backup purposes of the copy or of a reproduced copy referred to in paragraph (a) if the person proves that the reproduction for backup purposes is destroyed immediately when the person ceases to be the owner of the copy of the computer program.

The copyright doesn't just apply to the disc, that's just the medium. The copyright is on the work, the game itself. To keep an installed copy while giving away the game cd for someone else to install a copy with constitutes infringement of that copyright.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
SO? Sovereign Onion?

[Roll Eyes]

Significant other.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got his game his ORIGINAL CD, where does it say its illegal to give away private possessions? Otherwise it'ld be illegal to giveaway gifts.

If he gave you his original disc, and didn't keep a copy for himself, that should be alright, right? (I'm no legal expert). From my limited understanding, you buy one copy of the game, you have a right to one copy of the game. You can do whatever you want with that one copy. Again, I'm speaking from no experience, but that's always been my understanding and I'd be interested if it turns out I'm mistaken.

EDIT: I just now really read fugus post, which I think says basically the same thing. [Confused] I'm no good at lawyer speak.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I read that part, it says one is allowed to make a copy for private use, to give away the original bought cd is not copyright infringement. I've only copied it to give to East Europeans and Chinese persons (there is no good plural).

And the interpretation is meant with music in mind.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

In fact I think it is perfectly legal (from my undertsanding taking a Intro to Law class) that keeping a copy for oneself yet giving away the original is perfectly okay and depends on intentions, I could take a Yu-Gi-Oh card copy it give it away and keep the copy for myself for sentimental value and that would not be considered fraud or conterfeit to KEEP it, to trade away that copy however would be (if its fake).

This is from 3 years of YuGiOh addiction.

King of Men
Member # 6684

No wonder you are failing your courses, if you can't read basic English. It says you are allowed to make a single copy for personal use, if you can prove that you destroy it as soon as you don't own it anymore. In this case, when he gives you the CD. Now, if he didn't keep a copy, that's different, although you might have said so in the first place and saved a lot of trouble.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yeah Erk got bored. Prefers his WoW and C&C.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a88h0l3$
Did you seriously just type that?
Age level = 12

*makes blayne some soup*

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

L33t speak is not an accurate reflection of someones age.
King of Men
Member # 6684

I think, actually, you'll find that it is.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And besides I used it to avoid censors, noone under 16 could possibly understand it.

Its just a reflection of ones nerdiness.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And besides I used it to avoid censors, noone under 16 could possibly understand it.
So it is an accurate reflection of something about someone's age.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Uh, wow. Blayne, you just lowered my opinion of you even further.

-pH

MandyM
Member # 8375

Well, I just know it is something my 7th graders use and they are 12... you figure it out.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

oh I c, not in the elementary school's I've been too. (and I mean visited).

I've never anyone younger then 16 use it, I swear if I had known a 12 year old used it I would not have said so.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Argh I hate idiots who keep running infront of my jet on take off.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
::removed for snarkiness::

Seriously, this whole quick reply thing is very unfair. I can't always keep myself from typing the obvious things that must be said to/about people. I need the extra page to give myself time to rethink.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

Now I am dying to know...
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:

So the only thing new here is that clod went off on Tante. Did anyone see why? I missed it.

I really have no idea why clod said what he did. Twice. I'm staying away from him for the time being.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
tonto, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder sometimes what people like Blayne did before the internet allowed them to do things like this.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
*stuffs a cookie in a Hollow maw*
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, what an entertaining thread.

I love bulletproof people.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow... are we actually looking up copyright laws? This is getting a little ridiculous. If the kid's friend bought the game and then make a copy for him, so what!? Lets all get off our high horses here please, there are far worse things in the world than copying a game for a friend. This seems like a "lets all smugly rag on a kid who writes english at a grade 2 level" thread, which really isn't all that nice (though I do admit it is midly entertaining). Surely we all have better things to do?
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And I'm getting sleepy staying up waiting for replies.... and how am I bullet proof?

Before the internet was in elementary school and I read alot more books (though then again I was just scratching the surface) and watched Saturday morning tv, oh yeah my parents complained about that too.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Angio: the issue isn't the copying so much as the willful assertion the copying is legal.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the dogpiling on BB is getting uncomfortable, even for me.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually thinking Blayne, that if we didn't live over a thousand miles apart, we could hang out some time. Oddly enough, you seem like the kind of person I would enjoy. Not boring. Too many boring people out there. Not really sure why I'm adding this in here. Just for the heck of it I suppose. If nothing else, you have my respect for putting up with all this. Not that I'm saying you're in the right, but that you haven't stormed off and made one of those annoying "Goodbye for now Hatrack" threads impresses me.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Actually, the dogpiling on BB is getting uncomfortable, even for me.

I can't think of a thread on Hatrack that has annoyed me more than this one. In the first place, it should have never existed. A personal beef af an individual nature shouldn't be aired in public, particularly while insulting the other party. Second, clod's insult to Tante was out of the blue, uncalled for and, frankly, puzzling. It also is the only direct insult that hasn't been apologized for, and I would add my voice to those demanding an apology. Third, it has been a long time since I've seen piling on of such magnitude. Geez, you think the guy had just posted about how he beat his wife, robbed a church, then ran over his puppy with a lawnmower. I mean, I deplore game piracy as much as the next person, but I don't think it's a capital offense. Talk about a dogpile! I admire Blayne for handling it so well.

Finally, I want to address the issue of low self-esteem and depression. It seems to me that there are those here on the board who have absolutely no clue whatsoever as to how difficult it is to live with a poor self-image. This response is coming from someone who has dealt with problems of depression and low self-esteem for a long time, and thanks to the help of my friends, is succeeding. Even admitting that you have bad self-esteem is incredibly difficult. To all those who find Blayne's lack of self-esteem repulsive, I say this: Before you judge, take a second to walk a mile in the other person's shoes. You have no idea what it's like to live with depression.

Your advice to "suck it up and quit whining" isn't helpful; it's as ludicrous as telling an alcoholic that the solution to their problem is simply not drinking. It may be true, but the alcoholic aready knows it's true--their problem is in implementing it. So you with the condescending "don't waste my precious time with your bad self-image" attitude aren't helping.

Everyone here at Hatrack has their own set of problems. Blayne has said that one of his is low self-esteem. Why don't we, as a community, focus on actually trying to help each other find solutions to their problems rather than telling them how juvenile and silly they are?

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Bryan, I've been trying for a few hours now to come up with a way to write that post. Well done.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Holy cow... are we actually looking up copyright laws? This is getting a little ridiculous. If the kid's friend bought the game and then make a copy for him, so what!? Lets all get off our high horses here please, there are far worse things in the world than copying a game for a friend. This seems like a "lets all smugly rag on a kid who writes english at a grade 2 level" thread, which really isn't all that nice (though I do admit it is midly entertaining). Surely we all have better things to do?
Even after Brian's well-written post, I can't just let this one go. Software copying isn't a "so what?" issue, for a lot of reasons. As someone who's made money from software development and sales, I can tell you that it is a serious issue that affects the livelihood of a lot of people.

It's precisely the "so what?" attitude that many people find incredibly disturbing, and not just because it's about software copying. "So what?" in many areas is a serious problem.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.