FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need advice about a new car (I'm gonna miss Sparky) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need advice about a new car (I'm gonna miss Sparky)
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning to buy a new car soon (probably a used car that will be new to me, I mean [Smile] ) and I can't decide what to buy.

My last two cars have been Honda Accords and they performed wonderfully, lasted forever, needed practically no maintenance, and I loved them. So my first thought is to buy another Honda Accord, maybe one that's about 5 years old.

However, my mom has a brand new Accord and I just don't like it much. It is unpleasant to drive. I can't define what I don't like about it, but I love my ancient one far more than her perfectly new one. I think, also, that the newer ones have been made in the US, for the most part, and aren't as reliable as the older models were which were made in Japan. I have no national loyalties when it comes to cars. I want the best car for the best money.

I have always wanted a rather sporty car, too, so I'm partly leaning toward something snazzier looking than the Accord. I looked at the Mazda Miata, which Click and Clack seem to love so much, but it may be just a bit too sporty for me. Convertibles are glorious about five days a year, and rather a lot of trouble the other 360, is my guess. Also, as BunnV pointed out, sports cars are anti-social. You can't carry many passengers, or much stuff in one.

My niece has a Toyota 4-Runner which she loves. I used to have a Toyota Land Cruiser, and it had some great points. It could hold anything, let you see the whole road ahead of you, and garnered respect on the roads, meaning people didn't pull out in front of you. Mine actually had a large steel channel for a front bumper. It could rip through anyone's wimpy sheetmetal paneling with nary a scratch. People saw me coming in that car.

There are a lot of disadvantages to that sort of vehicle too. They are pricey and burn a lot of gas. My Land Cruiser got 11 miles to the gallon on the highway when it was in two-wheel-drive. In 4WD it was a lot less. [Smile] They tend to roll over a lot more because of their high center of gravity. They are safer in a wreck due to having lots of mass, but they are less comfortable to drive, and don't handle worth anything. They're harder to park and bad for the environment.

Because hatrack knows all, I thought I'd throw open the door to advice from all corners. What sort of car should I buy? Stodgy but practical Accord? Fun but less practical Miata? Solid and useful 4-Runner? Or something else entirely?

[ March 25, 2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm biased, because they're all I've driven for the last 5 years, but I really don't think you can go wrong with a safe, reliable Volvo. I'm not too familiar with the new models Ford is producing, but if they're still making them like tanks that can easily make it to three or four hundred thousand miles, I'd go with one of them in a heartbeat. [Smile]

Have fun with the decision, though! [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom is looking at either a Ford Fusion or a Ford Freestyle. The Fusion gets pretty good performance and mileage for a car its size. I'm in a Ford family. Half dozen family members work for Ford, EVERYONE drives a Ford. And I'm the only one who has ever had a problem with a Ford, but it was all covered by the warranty. I have few complaints.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a five year old Accord that I love. It's maintenance free, roomy (for a small car), and gets great mileage. It's the first car I've ever owned (after a series of SUVs and trucks) and it'll be a while before I go back.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
For a new-ish coupe: the Scion tC.

Great gas mileage. ENORMOUS interior. The cockpit feels natural and comfortable. Enough power to give you a push when you need it (160 hp).

The Fusion is also a great car, oddly enough. The Cobalt is also a worthy consideration - these are GM and Ford's new attempt at being friendly to modern car shoppers, and they've both succeeded.

Edited for a mis-label.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've said this on Hatrack before, but I love my Scion tC. Scions are manufactured by Toyota. There's three of them, and the other two are ugly as heck, but the tC is great. It's snazzy but not impractical. They only come as a two door, but there is an amazing amount of leg room in the backseat, and when the seats are folded down there is a surprising amount of storage space as well. They also come with a pretty nice sized list of features for base price.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Volkswagen!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Subaru Impreza RS or WRX, I've beat the tar out of mine and it's still ticking. Sporty, and the all wheel drive is a plus for the snowy days.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Volkswagen Passat GLX 4motion > everything else.

[Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

What about Mitsubishi Spiders? They're sort of cute. Does anyone know if they're reliable or not?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyundai makes among the most reliable cars on the road today, and they generally cost less than comparably equipped cars from other makers. They tend not to get quite as good mileage as other cars in their same class, but they aren't the worst in this regard. Just not as good as some.

I like the Tiburon if you're looking for something sporty but with a bit more room than a Miata.

Re: that thing with your old Land Cruiser, the large, and especially "tall" vehicles like trucks and SUVs do better in some types of crashes (especially collisions with smaller vehicles), but you'd do well to remember that the safety standards for trucks, vans and SUVs are not the same as for passenger cars and that they may perform much, much worse than passenger cars in other types of crashes. I wouldn't let perceived safety steer me into an SUV or a safety concern keep me out of something sporty.

I don't think I'd buy a convertible for a year-round daily driver unless I lived someplace warm and arid.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
you're most welcome to shut yer trap.
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by clod:
you're most welcome to shut yer trap.

Clod. You seem to be developing a habit of insulting random people or making insulting comments in random threads.

It is rude and inappropriate.

Please cease and desist.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a used Chrysler LeBaron. Its former owner was John Voight. I couldn't be happier.

OK, that's not true. My very first car was a very used '76 Toyota Corolla. I fell hard for that little rust bucket! And in my heart, I've never really gotten over my initial crush. Intervening years brought marriage and the husband's nasty old cars, but, 10 years ago, I bought my own dream car -- a used '93 Toyota Corolla. It is still running along happily, thumbing it's sweet little nose at the gas pumps, rarely giving me trouble. It is even an improvement over my original Corolla. My current one has power steering AND power brakes! I can't imagine ever wanting more!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a 1999 Civic. I like it a lot. From what I've gathered, Civics are very much like Accords in terms of type of car. I get about thirty miles a gallon.. It's a manual.

I had a Civic before this one. I totalled (sp?) it, rear-ending a Rav4. What never ceases to amaze me is that I was not hurt in the least, and the car could still run but was pronounced totalled. I think that means it's very safe. And the Rav4 was barely scratched, so there's that.

So yeah. pretty roomy. And I hope to buy a Civic hybrid when the time comes. We're a Honda family.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband's Honda Civic (2000) is a great car. It gets great gas mileage and is fun to drive. It's a little too small for carrying my work equipment (and is a coupe), so when I bought a new car last year I opted for a Toyota Camry. Comparing the Camry and the Accord, I liked the Camry better - better price and I liked the setup of the interior much better. It gets great gas mileage, has a huge trunk, and I enjoy driving it.

As far as sporty goes, I have heard good things about both the Tiburon and Prelude.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
Well, I'm biased, because they're all I've driven for the last 5 years, but I really don't think you can go wrong with a safe, reliable Volvo. I'm not too familiar with the new models Ford is producing, but if they're still making them like tanks that can easily make it to three or four hundred thousand miles, I'd go with one of them in a heartbeat. [Smile]

Have fun with the decision, though! [Smile]

I second the Volvo idea. My dad just passed on his '04 Volvo S80 to me, and it's the greatest. I'm moslty excited becasue i didnt expect him to get me a car at all, let alone just give me his. It's a great car.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you buy, make sure to research it thoroughly. Don't just trust anecdotes; check out reviews and studies from places like Consumer Reports, JD Power, and other experts.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
I have found my Maybach to be quite reliable - but then I get a new one every year or so.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, the Land Rover may be safer for you in an accident, but isn't much consolation to me if I get hit by you driving my little Civic [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Bok, I'll try to miss. [Smile]

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! You've given me a lot more things to research.

Oh, I really want something with antilock brakes. When I first heard about those I thought "uh oh, just what I want, a computer to decide when not to let me apply the brakes." However, since then I've driven lots of rental cars with ABS systems, and I'm sold. They've saved me from at least three bad wrecks on the highway, in situations in which I was sure I was not going to be able to stop in time. In all three cases, I heard the magic thudding of the ABS system kicking in, and I stopped in what seemed to me to be unbelievably short distances, without swerving or skidding at all! I love antilock brakes!

pH
Member # 1350

ABS rule.

Tiptronic transmissions are also a fun little toy. [Razz] Though perhaps not helpful in accident situations.

At any rate, what are you looking for engine-wise? What are you used to, overall? I ask because a lot of people only want a 4-cylinder, which decreases cost and increases gas milage. But the 4-cylinders I test drove didn't have nearly as much pick-up as a v6, and since I learned to drive on a v8, that was important to me.

-pH

jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
We really love our Chevy Malibu Maxx. It's a great car, drives well, gets good gas mileage. It's also the only Chevy in the last few years to consistently rank high among reliability and performance ratings.

The only downside I can see is that it isn't AWD. If that's a concern (and here in VA, it isn't for us) try a Ford Escape or a Subaru Impreza?

Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
However, since then I've driven lots of rental cars with ABS systems, and I'm sold. They've saved me from at least three bad wrecks on the highway, in situations in which I was sure I was not going to be able to stop in time.

Three close calls! Yikes! You are SO not borrowing my car!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Tante, I drove a lot for a lot of years to amass those. [Smile]

I'm a very safe driver!

Ask Saudade and Andrei, who cower in the back seat and hide their faces when I drive them around town. [Big Grin] Ask BunnV, Griha, and kaioshin00, who have bravely ridden with me as passengers again and again. Zero fatalities so far in wrecks I've had in my lifetime! I think that's a pretty good record. [Smile]

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
In the same circumstances, I joined this forum http://cartalk.com/board/ubbthreads.php where people have lots of suggestions.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oooh, thanks! Great idea! What car did you end up buying?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Here is another car I'm considering. I think they look really nice, and I love the list of features. The price is also reasonable. I wonder if they are very reliable?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyundai makes VERY reliable cars. I love mine. I don't know anyone who has had a problem with a Hyundai...after they made their big quality push.

How old of one are you considering?

Now, Hyundai has actually beaten Toyota in quality surveys. Whether that can be said for older models, I couldn't say. So...check the year/model of the one you're considering against online quality data.

Or...if you can afford a new one, go that route.

My Hyundai is a 2003. It's fantastic.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking at buying a new car once I hear about my promotion (if I hear positive news, of course [Big Grin] ), and I will probably go with a Hyundai if I choose to buy completely new.

I will never buy GM again, that's for sure.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm not so sure about that, Bob. Much of what I read still shows Hyundai still somewhere in the middle, just below all the GM and Ford brands but above all the Chrysler brands. As I said before, check out the reviews at Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, and other professional sites. Go here, click on Press Releases, and then search for "dependability." Also note, Kwea, where all the GM brands rank. [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jade Peat
Member # 9230

- posted      Profile for Jade Peat   Email Jade Peat         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing well with a Nissan Sentra. I've had it for 1.5 years now, and I've abused it terribly (I am serious, I'm surprised it hasn't seized on me)--but it hasn't given up yet.

It's cheap, and to me it looks the best of the entry level new cars, and Nissan was reccomended to me by a friend who is very knowledgeable about cars as a brand that is reliable.

I was also looking at the Scion before I got the Nissan. Someone here mentioned the tC, which is sporty, but I personally like the xB, which is box-shaped, but has a LOT of room inside (a surprising amount!). I would have gotten one of those if the Nissan Sentra hadn't been cheaper. They come with "standard" features which aren't on the other low level cars. Possible downside is that the price is not negotiable. Also, they're targeted as people's first car and are somewhat noisy to drive (I test drove one), and aren't as snappy as higher end cars because they have smaller engines. But then, so is my 1.8L Nissan. They are made by Toyota though--"Scion" is just a sub-brand or something.

Another downside of the Scions that I remember from my test drive is that the instrument panel is a little weird...not what you're used to in a car. But if you bought one I'm sure you'd get used to it.

And another upside is that the xA can turn on a freaking dime. Impressive.

Here's Scion pics:

http://images.google.com/images?q=scion&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a used Hyundai almost 3 years ago. It was a 2002 model with under 20k miles, IIRC. I've not had any problems with it beyond normal maintenance. It just passed 78k miles. I routinely get between 32-35 miles per gallon and often near 40 when I use a whole tank on a long highway trip.

My only complaint is that the car is relatively noisy. It feels light when I drive and it doesn't have a lot of pickup when I excellerate. Granted, if I drove like I'm probably supposed to I'd probably not notice any problem.

I'm starting to think about getting another car in the next couple of years and I'm interested in a hybrid. Gas mileage is probably my top concern, after general reliability.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
In the most recently released "Top Ten" of Consumer Reports, Honda swept up almost all the honors:

Linky to article listing top ten

I would use that as a starting point since they are so highly rated.

FG

p.s. - our family has had very good luck with Nissan. I drive a Nissan, and my sister's Nissan Maxima now has over 250,000 miles on it with still no major problems.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm seriously thinking about the Hyundai Tiburon now. I just test drove one (with the V6 DOHC engine and manual transmission) and it is so sweet!

Consumer Reports says they're pretty reliable, and the 2004 model was way better than the 2003. There's no data on 2005 for some reason, but if their trend keeps on in that direction it seems to be great. Not quite as good as the Honda Accord, but also much cheaper. Plus, the warranty is excellent.

The brake system is awesome. It has disk brakes on front and back. The thing just stops beautifully. Also it has a tight turning radius, and it will really go when you kick it in. The cabin isn't as roomy as I'm used to, but it sort of hugs you so it's a very friendly car. [Smile] I plan to order the one with the 400 Watt Stereo, 6 cd changer, and six speakers plus subwoofer. I listened to one they had on the lot and it sounds awesome.

Plus I just love how they look. I was going to get the red at first but then I saw the black and it just looks wicked cool so I changed to black.

I'm going to sleep on the decision for a few days, and y'all let me know if I'm making a mistake, okay? But I think I'll probably call and order one next week.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Black is cool but black cars really do get much hotter in the summer sun. An excellent starting point for designing a solar oven.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends drives a 2004 Tiburon. He bought it new and hasn't had any problems with it. He loves it.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Rabbit, that's a thought. Summer in Birmingham can be a bit of a solar oven even outside. [Smile]
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
I've wanted one ever since I first test drove one in '99 (I think). They are sweet. Haven't driven one in a while, but the suspension on the older ones was copied from porsche and it impressed me greatly. I owned a '97 Elantra for a long time and it was one of the best all-around cars I've ever owned.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a DEALER MAINTAINED Sunfire which blew an engine at 42,000 miles.

If their cars are so great, why do they have a 36,000 mile warentee?

Their CS sucks, both at every dealership I have ever been to and in the actual corperation. They were no help at all, and their "solution" would have cost me $2200 more than the engine I bought on my own, even with them footing half the bill. And they would have only footed THAT half IF their people agreed it was the cars fault.

Here is a clue....THE ENGINE BLEWW GOING 52 MPH YOU IDIOTS!!! HOW COULD IT NOT BE THE ENGINES FAULT?!?!?!?

I have bought US cars my whole life, but I will NEVER buy a GM product again.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
My future new wheels. Not sure when I'll get them, and the color's going to take some getting used to, but the new features sound very exciting. I can't wait! [Big Grin]

Nice looking car, Tatiana! May it bring you many years of fun and safety. [Smile]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Kwea: It is well known that Sunfires were garbage. There is a good reason why they stopped making them. Sadly, GM has really neglected its economy cars. However, their mid-sized cars and trucks are much better.

GM makes something like 40 different models, I think. You had one car that had a problem—even though it was a serious problem—and you don't see that it's illogical to assume that all of their cars are bad?

password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Sadly, GM has really neglected its economy cars.

isn't Saturn GM?

I thought those were widely regarded as excellent vehicles and I've never known a Saturn owner who has since bought anything else... and the smaller models usually get excellent mileage.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yes, Saturn is GM, but until the last few years they have been kept completely separate from other GM products. Then they started introducing Saturn models (starting with the L series) that shared platforms with other GM products.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
...and Saturns quickly went downhill.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I hope that they work out the bugs on these new platforms in the next few years. Some are better than others, though. The epsilon platform, which is used in the Malibu and G6, has received a lot of praise, and it's going to form the base for the upcoming Saturn Aura. The theta platform used in the Saturn Sky is supposed to be very good, too. However, the delta platform in the Ion is apparently a little disappointing compared to Saturn's old S series.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I own a Saturn and I've been completely satisfied with it. In the early years Saturn opporated almost entirely independently from the GM mother company but once they became successful, GM started reducing that independence. Unfortunately, everything about Saturn (including the service) started going down hill when GM pulled them in tighter to the mothership. I suspect that they would be a much better company if they could cut cord to GM entirely, but that is unlikely to happen.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Jon Boy, I have owned or been associated with various GM models over the years. I have also been associated with various Fords, and a few foreign makes. The experiences with GM vehicles have led me to believe that they engineer their cars in such a manner as to force you to use their dealer's shops, that the cost of parts is bumped up by turning things into groups of components. (if you want that 5-cent specialized plastic cog, you have to buy the motor that it attaches to...etc.), and that they are prone to single-point failures taking out major components. Relatively minor failures resulted in:
- new engines (twice)
- entirely new brake system, including computer ($4,000)
- entirely new A/C system

Each time, when asked what went wrong, the service guys say things along the lines of "well, this part that costs a dollar fifty died and that allowed your xxx to over-work itself.

Ironically, on my LAST GM product, the sensors that would've provided an early warning idiot light on the dash board had also failed. Not that the early warning would've done much good. When the cheap-o part fails, it tends to instantly undermine the down-stream expensive parts.

I have determined that GM will not get another dime of MY money until they have been ON TOP of the quality stats for a solid 10 years. That is because I would treat any good experience with of their vehicles as an absolute fluke and not at all indicative of the norm.

The only thing they appear to do really well is electronics (and infrequently...styling), which, unfortunately for them, I care very little about. I couldn't care less if my dashboard can change from English to Metric units at a touch of a button, or tell me what my gas mileage would be on the moon, or whatever functions they choose to stick in there.

Tatiana -- good job on the Tiburon. I'm sure you'll like it.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm thinking I really will! The question I'm asking myself is will I love this car five years from now when I'm still paying for it. I think the answer is likely to be yes.

Since I'll probably only buy one new car in my whole life, and this is it, I went with the cool stereo and the sunroof. You guys will probably be hearing my music a lot, at least those of you within a few states of here. I like to share. [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Bob: I don't know what to tell you. That has not been my experience or my father's, and he's owned and worked on GMs for over thirty years. Your statement about groups of components doesn't gibe with my experience, either. For example, I had to replace the idler arm pulley, and it was $20 at Autozone. If I had gone to a dealership, it would've been $120 for the entire idler arm, but I didn't have to go to the dealership.

Rabbit: I'm not sure Saturn could cut the cord if they even wanted to. GM created the division from scratch, so I don't think Saturn could ever be its own company unless GM sold it. The next few years are definitely going to be critical as they try to reshape their image. If they become just another Oldsmobile, I don't think they'll last.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.