FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The rumored plot of Fantastic Four II...*possible spoiler*

Author Topic: The rumored plot of Fantastic Four II...*possible spoiler*
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...it's rumored to be based on Fantastic Four (First Series) issues #48-50.

Those issues featured the Inhumans. But they're better known for being the first Galactus story.

For those of you not familiar with the plot, let's just say it's basically the Fantastic 4 fight an omnipotent being...or "What of we do a story where the F4 fight God?", as the infamous (possibly apocryphal) Stan Lee quote on where the story came from goes.

It's a classic.

Bleah. I almost wish they had chosen the Mole Man, or the Frightful Four. Botching Galactus will be almost as bad as...getting the Dark Phoenix Saga wrong. (Hi, X-3!)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the big thing: Galactus storyline = dumb. I can't honestly think of a way to FIX that storyline in a manner that would remove or ameliorate the Dumb.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
My guess:

Either you've posted before on the reasons why you dislike trippy 60s Kirby/Lee comics and thus felt no reason to explain that again here, and I missed the thread

-or-

You're posting in a thread just to remark that you have no interest in it.

Which is what "That story was dumb because it just -equaled- dumbness" amounts to. [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing of the comics, but I did see the first movie. It seemed to me like they got all the superpowers that none of the X-Men wanted. Like Mr. Bendy, or whatever? No way is that ever going to be cool, except as a party trick.

The 'Mole Man' sounds very intriguing though. I think I'd pay good money to see that.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with trippy comics. I have problems with catastrophically DUMB comics, which the whole Galactus sequence is.

I mean, it's so incredibly dumb that you can't even parody it properly.

A giant planet-eater with the power of a god drops by to eat Earth, his arrival heralded by Biblical signs and portents, an ominous Watcher, and an actual HERALD -- a surfing space alien who just happens to resemble a human being. He shrinks himself down to better fit into New York (as a building), which makes it possible for our heroes to at least appear in roughly the same frame as some of his body parts when they do heroic things.

And then our heroes win.

*shudder* There is not a single, solitary MOMENT in the entire Galactus storyline -- probably not even a single panel -- which does not drip with the Stupid.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, it's so incredibly dumb that you can't even parody it properly.
The Tick parody of it was brilliant.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks*

I have no idea what you're talking about, BUT more Ioan Gruffudd = good. That said, it'll wait for video rental.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, I agree, Dagonee. That's one of the few episodes of the Tick I've seen, but I really dug it.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean they are actually making a sequel? Bah!
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Hold on. The sequel is going to have a plot?
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
I know nothing of the comics, but I did see the first movie. It seemed to me like they got all the superpowers that none of the X-Men wanted. Like Mr. Bendy, or whatever? No way is that ever going to be cool, except as a party trick.

Oh. My. God. I think you just caused me physical pain.

I wish they'd never created the X-Men. Bella, you do realize that the Fantastic Four came first, right?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
...it's rumored to be based on Fantastic Four (First Series) issues #48-50.

I read about it
here. They have a cute photoshopped image of what such a movie might look like.

But given the way they messed Dr. Doom up, I imagine Galactus will come out as some crime lord with the nickname "Galactus", and the Silver Surfer will be some blond surfer dude enforcer.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as Jessica Alba is in it...I'll probably go see it.

I know it is kind of shallow...but she is my movie girlfriend.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:

I wish they'd never created the X-Men. Bella, you do realize that the Fantastic Four came first, right?

You're kidding, right? No, it's the FF that should've died horrible deaths on the drawing board -- the X-Men and Spiderman are among Marvel's few franchises with genuine worth.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lalo:
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:

You're kidding, right? No, it's the FF that should've died horrible deaths on the drawing board -- the X-Men and Spiderman are among Marvel's few franchises with genuine worth.
<sigh> The X-Men were tolerable before that horrible Dazzler story when they turned being a mutant into a metaphor for any minority that ever gets discriminated against.

I guess this is one of the reasons I prefer DC. The Fantastic Four are icons, like Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and the Flash. They can have angst, too, but at least there's something there to care about.

SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Galatus is totally unbelievable, but 4 people being hit by the same radiation wave causing them to mutate 4 different really useful superpowers is...

If you want the story to work all you would have to do is to change Galactus to a very powerful (not omnipotent) alien who want to strip the earth of all its natural resources. He got lots of superior tech, but has some sort of Achilles heal the FF will find out and use... Seemed to worked well enough for Independence Day, at least if you look at the ticket sales.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy but surprised if any sequel involving Galactus wasn't as sappy and stupid as Independance Day.

"Hey, I've got a laptop computer. I can interface with this alien network!"

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I'd be happy but surprised if any sequel involving Galactus wasn't as sappy and stupid as Independance Day.

Come on, that's totally believable. I can't get my laptop to network with a printer, but Jeff Goldblume can do anything with a computer, just look at him.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
If you want the story to work all you would have to do is to change Galactus to a very powerful (not omnipotent) alien who want to strip the earth of all its natural resources.
Except that he'd still be a silly giant humanoid of variable size followed around by quasi-Biblical imagery.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

Many of the Superhero stories have lots of quasi-biblical imagery. There is usually a self sacrificing hero who is trying to save all of humanity from some evil power.

Have you seen the teaser trailer for “Superman Returns”. The last line is something like,
"… for this reason I am sending them you, my only son" . Now where have I heard that before?

Heroes reflect their society’s values. Many of which in America are still based in Judeo-Christian values.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Many of the Superhero stories have lots of quasi-biblical imagery.
Yes. But not literal plagues, signs of Armageddon, etc. [Smile] To link these signs of Armageddon to the arrival of a two-legged alien with the world's stupidest hat is, in a word, Dumb.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Have you seen the teaser trailer for Superman Returns...Now where have I heard that before?"

That's MarlonBrando's reading of JorEl being used in promo-only as a nostalgia tie-in to the ChristopherReeve movies.

"Heroes reflect their society’s values. Many of which in America are still based in Judeo-Christian values."

Superman is a combination of the Jewish Messiah in prophesy and Jewish golem mythology: hence the name KalEl.

"...the whole Galactus sequence is...so incredibly dumb that you can't even parody it properly.
"The Tick parody of it was brilliant."

Try Fairly OddParents: Abra-Catastrophe!. Starts as a wish leading to the Planet of the Apes and ends with a send-up of Marvel, Galactus/RedSkull/Thanos/etc, the CosmicCube/InfinityGems/etc, JackKirby art, and comic book retconning*.

* Altering the past for retroactive continuity

[ February 20, 2006, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tick episode being referred to. Classic.

"Quit eating all my stuff!"

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tick, in general is genious.

I have no problem with people significantly varying from the comic books; it is not as though it is scripture. Just as long as the outcome is entertaining.

FF4 this last summer was -terrible- so I have no great hopes for the sequel.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Galactus storyline actually worked well in the comics, but to put it in a move . . . no. How did they get rid of him, again? Mr Fantastic whips out the Ultimate Nullifier, Galactus gets scared, runs off? Nah. The Silver Surfer might be worth a storyline. Galactus isn't.

I'd heard somewhere they'd planned on putting Franklin Reed in there somewhere. He's one of the few Omega Class Marvel heroes, so that could be interesting.

I much prefer the X-Men to the Fantastic Four. The FF just get corny, and they tend to be so two-dimensional. I like what they did with them in Marvels, making them out to be the royalty of the Marvel Universe, but that's as much as I can stomach.

I wish Marvel would start working the Marvel Universe into their movies. The coolest thing in the Marvel Comics was that all the characters interacted and lived in mostly the same area. I mean, the Scarlet Witch was an Avenger first, never really a mutant--but she's also Magneto's daughter, and regardless of what's said, her brother Quicksilver (also an ex-Avenger) tends more toward the mutant side than anything else. Wanda first turned up in X-Men, but she moved around quite a bit, and has affected a lot of the Marvel Universe with the House of M storyline. Frankly, I'd like at least a passing acknowledgement to the presence of other superheroes.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 

Personal peeve: on the Independence Day DVD, in the deleted scenes, is a quick, less-than-two-minute clip that comes after the scene in the movie when the prez directs Goldblum to work with the people at Area 51 and tell them what he's found out. He climbs inside the ship and he and the tech exchange a few words about computing power and compatibilities and what they've figured out in the 50 years they've had the ship and what Goldblum has discovered from the signal he picked up.

Stupid little teeny scene cut for time, but had it been left in the virus scene later would have been much easier to accept, instead of becoming the bit of the movie that everyone (rightfully) picks on.

Peeve over, return to your homes.

I liked the X-Men up until issue 175 or so, and after that I lost interest because soap operas bore me and I didn't have enough time in the day to keep track of the ever-changing cast. Except for Wolverine, he was easy: he was everywhere. It was impossible to have a storyline in the 80's/early 90's that didn't include Wolverine at some point. Unless it included the Punisher. DC was no better, they were busy shoving Lobo into everything. I completely lost interest in Wolverine from over-exposure and because Marvel felt compelled to explain him. The more we found out about him, the less interesting he was to me.
Finally I stopped reading everything except for Cerebus, Strangers in Paradise, and anything Neil Gaiman. It was many long years before I was finally lured back into the comic store by Bendis, Miller, Ellis, Busiek, and a few others.

This is also why I love Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, because it looks like he preferred the same era of X-Men that I did.

I'd like to see the FF movie people dig through John Byrne's run and pull some stuff out of that. Much like he did later with Superman, Byrne applied a decent amount of common sense and fun to the book. Sadly, later on he went crazy. If that won't work, they should talk to Bendis and Miller and yank some story out of Ultimate FF.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
FF #2 should be interesting. My biggest complaint (among many) about the first movie was the incredibly small scale of the threat they faced. They rescued a fire truck. And they wrecked part of the city fighting a bad guy that they were instrumental in creating, who was (at the time) only attacking them. I think the police should have hauled them all in for public brawling and destruction of property. The Fantastic Four should be waging epic battles, not trading shots with a former business partner who can shoot lightning bolts now.

So now, for my sins, it looks as though I'm getting an FF movie that's ridiculously epic. Sigh.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
Yea, Galatus is totally unbelievable, but 4 people being hit by the same radiation wave causing them to mutate 4 different really useful superpowers is...

Well, to be fair, almost all Marvel heroes got their powers from radiation. Stan Lee and company were terrified of the Bomb. It was kind of like Godzilla. The Fantastic Four, The Hulk, Spiderman, the X-everything... it's all just Cold War trauma.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's the big thing: Galactus storyline = dumb. I can't honestly think of a way to FIX that storyline in a manner that would remove or ameliorate the Dumb.
Did you see the first movie? If that was any indication, I'm not sure the producers are worried one bit about taking the Dumb out of the Fantastic 4 series... [Wink]
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is also why I love Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, because it looks like he preferred the same era of X-Men that I did.
Yeah. I only read the TPBs, and there's only been two so far. Is he still writing the title?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The X-men didn't receive their powers from radiation.

Err-- at least the way I've seen it spun was that mutants represent an "evolutionary watershed."

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

A couple thoughts on superheroes.

1. Do we just assume that if you have one superpower (say flying, being able to control weather or fire lasers out of your eyes) that you automatically get either super tough or super fast healing powers. Because in every story with a superhero they are going to get thrown through brick walls, punched so hard they fly 40ft through the air or can in some other way take punishment that would kill an other wise normal person instantly.

2. Do you think the superhero trend that started with first X-men and Spiderman movies was a reaction to 9-11? People subconsciously wanting to feel like there was someone fighting for truth and justice in a time of trouble.

3. When do you see this trend dying down?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.