FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KosherCon! Sunday, March 5, 2006 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: KosherCon! Sunday, March 5, 2006
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not yet certain (I should know definitely by Tuesday night), but there is a good chance I will be in NYC (most likely Manhattan) for a few days in early March.

Sunday, March 5 is probably free. Anybody wanna do lunch?

[ February 21, 2006, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] <-- also raising hand

For you, honey, I'll put in for a day off from work.

Can we call our get-together "KosherCon"?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Best. Con name. Ever.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I would, but I have to work 1st shift that day and the next. I plan on taking some vacation time in June so I have to be at work every day that I have to be until then.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Maybe next time, Stan.

To the rest of y'all, yay! [Smile]

Just a warning: I can't stay out as late this time. I'll be in NYC to work. But Sunday should be free.

*bounces*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, he spoils all the fun, that one...
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Not really. We just force-fed him kosher coffee. Not a problem.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
coffee?

*thinks*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, four Orthodox Jews toured the Metropolitan Museum's Egypt Exhibit, saying things like "My people built those pyramids, when we were slaves in Egypt".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*snorts* And I thought Mormons were bad!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
If I recall correctly, four Orthodox Jews toured the Metropolitan Museum's Egypt Exhibit, saying things like "My people built those pyramids, when we were slaves in Egypt".

IIRC, only one of us said that. I leave which one as an exercise for the reader. [Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Dont Know]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I love Hatrack.
rivka
Member # 4859

I have tickets.

I expect arriving (8 am), getting to my hotel (mid-town Manhattan, most likely), and checking in should mean I'll be available 11-ish or so.

Where are we meeting up?

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, wish I could... I miss our little kosher excursions, rivka!! We'll have to do lunch some other time. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, I knew there was a good bit about kosher coffee in "The Promise." Reuven is talking to his best friend, Danny, about some fairly serious problems in his life, and the following conversation ensues:

There was a tense silence.
"I'll survive," I said.
He was quiet.
"If I can have another cup of coffee."
He smiled then and got slowly to his feet.
"One derives great moral strangth from a cup of coffee," I said.
"Kosher coffee," Danny said.
"Yes, of course. Kosher coffee. Of course."

It's not exactly earth shattering, I admit, but I do like it.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I just told my supervisor that I will be taking the day off on Sunday March 5th. I'll take the train into Penn Station, and can meet up with you wherever you like. How about at the lobby of your hotel?
rivka
Member # 4859

Sounds good.

Once I figure out what hotel that would be. [Wink]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I might be up for this. Lemme think it over. (I missed this thread until now, and I'd need to work out the logistics of the round trip from Boston.)
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, at this point, figuring out whether I can cover the $15 each way on Fung Wah Bus is an important factor in my considerations.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hey! You don't have to be Kosher to enjoy KosherCon! All are welcome. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Golly!
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we also have to figure out logistics if we're going to go ("we" being myself and Nathan).
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hey! We can make Shmuel real! [Big Grin] (Um, you're not already, right?)

And mack, I don't wanna hear any of this "if" stuff. Capiche?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yeah, Jamie. If you can come, then you'll get to meet me! I'm sure that this experience alone will be worth the journey. [Monkeys]

(I'm never sure when is the right time to use the [Monkeys] smiley.)

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll take the train into Penn Station, and can meet up with you wherever you like. How about at the lobby of your hotel?

Well, that's certainly a better idea than what we did last time. . .
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

True.

But that was mostly my fault. And the fault of my cell phone.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Four of us wandering around the huge New York Penn Station, calling each other on our cell phones.

"Where are you now?"
"In front of the Dunkin Donuts."
"Which Dunkin Donuts?"
"The one on the concourse."
"Which concourse?"

rivka
Member # 4859

You forgot the part where my phone kept dropping calls. Or missing them entirely, so the first I'd know about a call was when a voicemail came in.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Thanks for reminding me!
rivka
Member # 4859

. . . [Dont Know]

You're welcome?

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So if I come will someone spoil my taste for Manishewitz gefilte fish by introducing me to the real stuff?

Yes, I'm in the NY area. But I don't know my schedule for that weekend. I'd like to come though.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Dunno. Adam might know if there are any restaurants in the area we're talking about that serve stereotypical "kosher-style" (yet actually kosher [Wink] ) food. But I'd rather take the opportunity to have kosher food of types that I cannot get here -- like Indian. I really enjoyed the place we went to last time.

What I do know is I'd love to meet you in person, Glenn. [Smile] If you can manage it, please do join us!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
But I'd rather take the opportunity to have kosher food of types that I cannot get here -- like Indian. I really enjoyed the place we went to last time.

They make the best gefilte fish curry. And their matzah ball vindaloo is to die for!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Wave] Hi Glenn. It'd be swell to meet you! And you will have the unforgettable experience of meeting ME! I'm fascinating. Also adorable. And entertaining. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
They make the best gefilte fish curry. And their matzah ball vindaloo is to die for!

*turns green*

quote:
[Wave] Hi Glenn. It'd be swell to meet you! And you will have the unforgettable experience of meeting ME! I'm fascinating. Also adorable. And entertaining. [Big Grin]

All true!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I vote for going to Abigael's for the coffee theater. It is a lifelong dream of mine to experience that someday.
rivka
Member # 4859

Don't we get to have lunch first? [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It is not my lifelong dream to eat lunch at Abigael's. Just to experience the "Coffee Theater".

Which I bet is on the pricey side, too.

Well, my birthday is in July. Maybe I can get my husband to take me then, and fulfill my lifelong dream.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate this as the official symbol for KosherCon:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/huecolour/koshercon.jpg

----

Edited to add: It just occurred to me that this might be sacreligious, not funny. I'll happily delete if there is a shred of offense.

*worried

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<-- is not offended
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Good.

*provisionally relieved, but ready to writhe at a moment's notice

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL] Awfully close to literally, too. That was awesome, CT!

Indian sounds great -- we really cannot get that here. And is there a Thai place? I miss kosher Thai.

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh lord, I love Thai. I've only had Indian food once, except for curry. Grew up on homemade curry my mom made, so it's probably not authentic.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Big Grin]
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in Miami, we have kosher Thai. Keep us in mind for your future travel plans. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

narrativium, can you get some take-out kosher Thai and meet us?
rivka
Member # 4859

I haven't been in Miami for about 20 years.

I think it's more likely that we'll get a kosher Thai restaurant here again.

But you never know, I 'spose.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I've got the date free. But as of yet I don't see where we're meeting. This is important, because I'm a Luddite, and I don't have a cell phone.

(Considers starting another thread admitting that I finally got a TV)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.