FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What language should I learn?

Author Topic: What language should I learn?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm strongly looking at doing an eight week summer intensive program in one of several languages. The eight week program is equivalent to a year's worth of classes in the language. I have studied none of these languages beforehand, having only three years of high school Japanese and a few semesters of college German.

Here are the languages available in the program I'm interested in:

Russian, Azeri, Georgian, Kazakh, Uzbek, Turkmen, Tajik, Uyghur, Pashto, Tatar, Hungarian, Yiddish, Czech, Polish, Romanian, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Albanian, Slovene.

I'm leaning towards Turkmen or Lithuanian, but I'm pretty open to suggestions. I intend to work in areas related to international relations and economics, long term, but the language I choose for this program needn't be chosen primarily with that in mind, of course.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
No Chinese? I thought you wanted to swear like Jayne.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Never been an interest [Razz]

In this case, I'm letting my choices be constrained by this particular program. Its extraordinarily strong at IU, and has many important contacts in the IR (International Relations) world, so taking any of the languages will get me lots of networking opportunities.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
would it be this summer? Does that mean you'll be in town this summer (I'm still not sure what I want to do).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

It would be second summer session, and in town. First summer session I'll be doing some sort of research (also in town).

[ February 21, 2006, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Well from an IR standpoint, I'd think that Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian would be the most worthwhile seeing as how that region has known particularly large amounts of conflict and IR work lately.

But that might not be proactive enough. I'd say Turkmen for looking towards the future.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
No Basque?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*snort*

These are languages offered as part of a program cosponsored by, among others, the Russian and East European Institute and the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures. Both of those are very strong programs here at IU, along with Central Eurasian Studies. Very strong as in among the best in places to study those things in the world.

Oddly enough, I don't think we have much in the way of Basque here. I think our linguistics department has the traditional Basque speaker, but nothing beyond that. Its just not an area with a really strong program.

oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
learn Polish! You'll have great time, I promise! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Luxembourgish.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

but if you're thinking jobwise, I'd lean towards either Russian or one of the EU 10.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Romanian
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Want to be rich? Learn Arabic.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What?! No Bulgarian?! [Razz]

Russian is probably a good choice. Others are more unusual/interesting, but Russian will probably be more useful.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Russian will get you around the majority of those countries anyways. Probably more useful.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Only try that if you're big and intimidating-looking. [Smile]

You already speak English anyway, which will get you around 'most of those countries' with a much more polite reception.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

*points up*

what she said.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You would think decades of being exposed to warm Russian hospitality and fun-loving hijinks would incline East Europeans to look on the Russians more warmly.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Kama, haven't you met fugu? [Taunt]
Kama
Member # 3022

yes?

oooooh. ok. No, I meant the second part of what she said [Wink]

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, you should learn the language of looooooooove. [Wink]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Of those? Russian...

If I could pick a list of languages to be fluent in I would pick English, Spanish, Japanese and Mandarin. I think if you speak those you're pretty much set.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd pick one of the rarer languages: Azeri, Georgian, Kazakh, Uzbek, Turkmen, Tajik, Uyghur, Pashto, or Tatar just as some extra job security.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
If they ever reenstate the draft, any of the above would win you a year in Monterey CA.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Of those? Russian...

If I could pick a list of languages to be fluent in I would pick English, Spanish, Japanese and Mandarin. I think if you speak those you're pretty much set.

True, especially considering the following conditions:

a) certain portions of the United States are rapidly becoming (or already are) bilingual between Spanish and English (or America's rough equivalent) due to high levels of immigration from Latin America - legal or otherwise. As a public school teacher, over half of my school (even in Oregon!) is Hispanic. While the kids speak and understand English fairly well, it is almost impossible to speak with parents, unless I have an interpreter. And scheduling time with them? A nightmare.

b) Chinese and U.S. economic interests are becoming so alike that it seems as if our two countries are going to have it out sometime in the next few decades. I want to have a nice deep hole I can bury myself in for a few years if this ever happens. And if the Chinese win, it'd be a definite plus if you could speak Mandarin.

c) Japan has been on par with the U.S. economy for quite a while now - theirs is the lingua franca in some parts of the world.

d) English...well...this may sound arrogant, but if one had to, one could get by in MOST of Europe by speaking English. Not that one would be appreciated or treated well, particularly if the arrogantly and ignorantly went around asking "par lez vooz english?" everywhere they went. Of course, this is more of a testament to the low priority placed on learning foreign languages within the U.S. public school system, rather than a fault of the European community.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd lean towards Uyghur or Kazakh. The Uighurs are one of the many ethnic minorities in Northwest China and so far as I understand Kazakhstan is pretty frickin' huge and is poised on the cusp of massive oil and gas development. If you're looking at IR then what more could you ask for than to be able to communicate in the heart of what will surely be a large exporter of natural resources in the next decade?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently took an online course in Esperanto. I recommend it as an introductory course to linguistics in general because it allows you to observe grammar and syntax in a flexible yet structured language setting.

I don't remember the exact site, but you can search for it if you're interested ("online esperanto course" maybe).

Also, you may learn some useful word roots!

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no real opinion on the subject, but for fun I'd learn Hungarian.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I remember Mr. Abrams saying that neither time he went to Kazakstan did he hear much Kazakh, it was pretty much Russian. You could always stop by Batchelor and talk to him, he likes people who are aware of the world, and think he knows something, and you're parents live two blocks away.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should learn Bosnian so you can rap and program with Irfan in his native language.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.