FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Forum Standards: A Lament Laced With Guilt (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Forum Standards: A Lament Laced With Guilt
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I was irritated and whining to a group of friends about a poster.

I wrote:

quote:
I can't accept the idea that he is 18. Most late teen kids who complain about the type of childhood that he claims, are mature, savy and angry. He's got the anger thing down, but lacks the rest.

Also, his moods swing so wildly that he seems to be playing an RPG. I am left with the impression that he's either a 12 year old or a poser.

Wahh, if there is going to be discord, I prefer it be about substance. At least then I can learn something.

I wrote this in response to the threads that he started with real or feigned ire, then quickly broke into jokes and giggles. I also resent that so many of his posts seem designed to manufacture emotion on the part of the other members of the forum.

I don't apologize for the impression that I took from his actions, but I do apologize for not being invested enough in him to bring them to his attention rather than whining about them behind his back.

The people I'm speaking of obviously have the time and intelligence to be a valuable asset wherever they choose to spend time, I just wish that they respected the rest of us enough to gift us with a bit more decorum and attention to their written thoughts.

I realize that respect begets respect. So I'll make a pact. If I can't extend to you the type of respect that I am requesting, then I'll avoid reading or responding to your posts/threads so as not to tempt myself into bad behavior.

editted to make post and title more in line with forum standards.

[ February 22, 2006, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind him so much. Except it irritates me that just about every thread he starts is him whining about a video game.

Blayne, if you are reading this, you need to make an official video game thread instead of wasting room on Hatrack, darn it. *waves fist*

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks LadyDove, you expressed what I feel, but with class.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Whining about video games, or whining about how someone is 'misrepresenting' China. The happiest place on Earth.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that you are trying to come clean and make amends. However, in this case I think that what someone doesn't know doesn't hurt them. If I heard that someone was laughing at me behind my back, that would just hurt me more. Making the promise to yourself sounds wiser than sharing it. If you read this before Blayne does, you might want to consider deleting this.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I would respectfully ask that you leave Blayne out of this. I agree that a call for more respectable and mature behaviour is in order. But to single out one person is classless and I see it as more detrimental to the health of the forum than 10 video game threads.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only reason Blayne was singled out is LD is quoting something, and it applies more to him.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Amanecer and Dr Strangelove,

I appreciate your concern and admire your motives, but regarding this, clarity is very important to me. If Papa feels otherwise, or if Blayne would like me to remove his name, then I will definitely do so.

edit to add: Exactly, Breyer. Thank you.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it when I know what people mean.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks LadyDove, you expressed what I feel, but with class.
Apologizing for saying something bad about someone behind their back but then refusing to apologize for the bad thing said is not what I'd consider class. Neither is suggesting that 'if I can't respect you, I just won't talk to you.'

I believe Respect is something you choose to give. It is not correct to say you can't respect someone. You have chosen not to - and could choose otherwise.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Lemme reread it a couple of times, its not making sense to me. My mind is tired and hurts a little when the tonne of bricks fell.

Also the radioactive poisoning doesn't help matters lol.

Ow.

Okay A) What do you mean about an RPG? I didn't get it when i read it in sake river.

B) Mood swings? I'm slightly confused I have bad memory please elaborate (or if you'ld prefer just email me that part).

Okay, I've finally coprehended the posts I do not mind and apology accept and I hope you'll accept mine for when I was being slightly bitchy when i replied "Oh and apparently I have mood swings" in sake.

But ya I'm still in overall confused. Please elaborate exactly WHAT I did wrong in Hatrack via gmail. blayne.bradley@youknowtherest.com [Big Grin] (making a joke, a joke)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack seems like it's having some...drama (for lack of a better word) lately. Lots of threads whining about other members or picking fights with other members. It's getting kind of annoying. I don't come to Hatrack to see fights and drama.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

ROFL, omg, *cries in laughter* DRAMA? lol! [ROFL]

You should see the stirr I caused in sake. Its like I detonated an atomic bomb.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't flatter yourself. You created a brief flurry of ripples in a pond.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
ooo... The Hatrack lynch mob is forming again.
Frankly, lynch mobs annoy the **** outta me.

I may or may not agree with Blayne on any given point, but what he has to say is usually interesting. And nearly always lead to an interesting discussion, which is all ya can ask of a thread.
Lynch mobs are boringly predictable.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Comparred to what I have seen in my 3+ years cruising forums I'm afraid that I'm the edge of my seat I've never seen this happen before.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
See Blayne! You are interesting! There's a consensus.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Sweet. I'm ALWAYS interesting in RL, I do the "risky" buisness slide, cuz my shoes have no friction.

So I run, I slide across and open door and people are always like "every time Blayne walks in the room something interesting always happens."

I brought in a cute packers shirt that fits on a water bottle and I took a Buffalo Bill shirt and did the same thing and had a DBZ match between the 2 bottles.

The room placed bets [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
ooo... The Hatrack lynch mob is forming again.
Frankly, lynch mobs annoy the **** outta me.

I may or may not agree with Blayne on any given point, but what he has to say is usually interesting. And nearly always lead to an interesting discussion, which is all ya can ask of a thread.
Lynch mobs are boringly predictable.

Lynch mobs are fun! Peasants and pitchforks, torch wielding farmers!

"Then they turned on the floodlights and it was all jackboots and smoochheil smoochheil!"

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

As long as your not the one being lynched. Mobs are brutal.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

quote:
I believe Respect is something you choose to give.
Tres, that is true in a vacuum of information, but after it is lost, it must be earned.

Secondly, I wasn't looking for absolution. I was trying for understanding and clarification.

LadyDove
Member # 3000

Blayne,

An RPG is a Role Playing Game. One assumes the guise of a character and imbues the character with certain powers and personality traits.

editted to change "you" to "one".

aspectre
Member # 2222

I'm still hyper-torqued that they managed to hurt/anger bonduca into leaving. And that was over three years ago.
Since then, they've managed to chase off several other interesting contributors. And lynchings for absurdly trivial reasons are a nearly automatic response to youngsters such as want to write and peekaboo.
Heck, they darn near chased off ClaudiaTherese and Tatiana as well, who are as about as conversationally polite as one could get.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Gaal, stick around longer, you'll see it again.

Eventually it becomes a part of the overall cycle that is Hatrack River. It's kinda reassuring, really.

And don't worry Blayne, you aren't the first, nor will you be the last that gets all of this "attention". What will make it interesting is how you respond, Blayne. I'm hoping in the positive, not just for Hatrack, but for yourself (which usually ends up pretty close to the same thing).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

** Eyes aspectre menacingly **

And if you aren't careful, we'll run you off too!

** Cackles **

[Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gaal, stick around longer, you'll see it again.

Eventually it becomes a part of the overall cycle that is Hatrack River. It's kinda reassuring, really.

Exactly. And quite frankly, whatever's going on now isn't nearly so interesting as what has gone on in the past. (I suppose this is where I mention that I haven't been paying attention to this latest batch, eh? [Wink] )
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
want to write wasn't chased off, he was told he was an ass and then chose to leave...then came back and I believe got himself banned.

There is nothing wrong with saying "I don't like what you say, and how you say it, so I am going to avoid your threads unless you change." Sometimes it is better than continuing on as things have been.

Not that I think Blayne is/was as bad as W2W, even if he is a little overeagar at times.

I just take a pass on most of his threads...they just don't interest me, but when I do incounter a topic where he is involved then I comment as I wish. Sometimes a agree, sometimes I don't.

There HAS been a lot of drama lately, but this too shall pass, one way or another. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
this too shall pass

I really love that line. For some reason it just really works for me. Such a great mantra.
aspectre
Member # 2222

"And if you aren't careful, we'll run you off too! [Wink] "

Seriously, I'd MUCH prefer that the stones be tossed in my direction.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
Ow.

Okay A) What do you mean about an RPG? I didn't get it when i read it in sake river.

Ah, I didn't realize that Blayne had already heard what you had quoted. But if I'm reading this right, he had. This thread now seems far more appropriate. I retract my comment and I'm sorry for getting involved in something when I didn't know the details.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
quote:
this too shall pass

I really love that line. For some reason it just really works for me. Such a great mantra.
It must be particularly comfortable to anyone who's had kidney stones.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

** Looks around frantically **

How about donuts?

*shrugs*

-Bok

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
quote:
this too shall pass

It must be particularly comfortable to anyone who's had kidney stones.
[ROFL]

Thank you Dag, now I can go to bed smiling.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem, as I see it, is that the circle is really more of a spiral.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Like a ham, Tom?

-Bok

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Like a great sucking vortex.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was four, I had a dream where the devil came to me and gave me an ultimatum -- I had to either wash my hands with soap (which I hated) or proceed directly to hell.

I choose hell.

While I was circling down a vortex into the depths I trie calling out thar I changed my mind, but it was too late.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Of ham, Dagonee?

-Bok

--- Speaking of vortexes, I saw The Black Hole last week. It was pretty creepy for a Disney film... And ripe for MST3K treatment.

aspectre
Member # 2222

Thinking of the wrong person, Kwea. want to write was guilty of posting such things as "my teacher says that war is bad" and "my sister doesn't like george bush"

At which point, the lynch mob would start criticizing grammar, spelling, capitalization, etc, then generally devolve into namecalling. With almost nary a hint of addressing what s/he said.

If want to write was ever rude, I never saw it on this side of the forums. If it occurred over on the other side, it would have been well after s/he was called twenty different kinds of idiot, over and over again, so I'd understand why s/he would have wanted to retaliate.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Egad, aspectre, you really AREN'T a good judge of character, are you? [Smile]

People were cold to want 2 write because w2w was a lying troll. I'm rather surprised that this was not obvious to you.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I also think we should leave Blayne out of it. I understand why his name was used, and I certainly can't disagree. But the larger topics is disrepectful noobs, and I'm not sure Blayne qualifies.

He's not a noob, for one*. He's been here for almost a year under one SN or another. And although he recently displayed some annoyingly noob-like qualitites I don't think he's the worst offender. There have been several people recently who have shown a continuing refusal to conform, to listen, or to think before posting. Some of the problem is poor spelling and grammar, but ultimately it's about much more than that. We've formed a community here, and, for the most part, we enforce our own standards. Things are done a certain way, and everyone tries to stay within those unwritten guidelines. Not because there's some punishment for straying, but because it's the nice thing to do. King of Men, as objectional as I know a lot of you find him, conforms to our standards of polite and reasonable discourse for the most part. Sometimes the definitions of polite and reasonable get a bit stretched, but mutual respect keeps the number and frequency of our flame wars down.

This is a big reason why, IMO, people keep coming back here. Because they know they can count on people being friendly, educated, and interesting. That's a rare trifecta, especially online, and when new people show up and want the way the want to do things to be the way everyone does them, well, that just doesn't fly. You don't move to Lithuania and demand everyone start speaking English and playing Football. It's their culture, and if you're smart you'll take the time to learn how they do things before you jump in with both feet. And I think that's all that people here ask, as well.

* I realize that everyone's a noob to someone. Somebody's been here so long they think of TomD as "the new guy". But a year and over a thousand posts is safely out of newbie territory as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Want to write lied constantly.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Granted, JT. And at this point, I've already connected with Blayne, so I'll delete his name.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not the first thread this week started in order to call someone out for bad behavior. I'm not entirely comfortable with (what I sincerely hope will not become) the trend. Yeah, we have some immature members on the forum. The forum, however, is meant to be welcoming and safe for teenagers. That's why bad language and the like are discouraged. You can not blame the teenagers for being immature; you can hope that they'll grow out of it.

Perhaps a good response to bad behavior is to ignore it (or just to email the poster a [No No] ). I'm betting that if the provocative behavior garners no attention, it will quickly fade. Keeping those threads going on the front page with multiple pages of fury and debate is really just encouraging the poster. Ignored threads quickly sink out of sight.

I am uncomfortable with Hatrack jumping all over Blayne. Lighthearted teasing -- well, that's a specialty of mine. But I wouldn't want to see anyone humiliated, or for us to adopt the culture of bullying those goofy outsider kids.

Cause, honestly, how many mature Hatrackers were once goofy outsider kids?

<I'm raising my hand>

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am uncomfortable with Hatrack jumping all over Blayne. Lighthearted teasing -- well, that's a specialty of mine. But I wouldn't want to see anyone humiliated, or for us to adopt the culture of bullying those goofy outsider kids.
Ditto. Though, it's funny, I don't hesitate personally attacking Blayne, but I didn't want him to leave, I want him to change. He isn't obnoxious as much as he is deeply, deeply wrong.

I'll also say that Ladydove is one of the charming hatrack women, at the same time sharp, moral, and sweet as pie.

[ February 22, 2006, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but the whole "Lets be nice to the newbies and they'll be nice back" thing is a bunch of crap. You're not going to get a response if you don't bring attention to the problem. Sure, singling out people may not be the best thing, but calling attention to the idiocy plaguing the forum is the only way to get it moving up hill again.

Point of fact, this is not a new trend for Hatrack. In fact, the only new trend I see is the fact that the veterans are getting more apathetic about calling people out. There once was a time where we'd sit the kiddies aside and let them know how things went 'round these parts. Now, I don't see that happening as much or at all.

I don't blame them, though. There are better times/places to expend that kind of energy.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- is a newbie
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, you might have missed it, but the reason this thread was addressed to Blayne in particular is that he read LadyDove's comment in it's original context. She got caught out talking behind his back, and was -- very graciously, as far as I'm concerned -- apologizing for it in "public."
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah Tante, I don't think you really qualify as a newbie anymore. Some people pass through that phase more quickly than others. And no, it's not because you average about 700 posts a month that you're not really a newbie; it's more of a personality thing.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- is an incalcitrant newbie.

Primal Curve,

I couldn't agree with you more. The kiddies should be sat aside.

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.