FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lets hear it for the good guys--The Patriot Gaurd

Author Topic: Lets hear it for the good guys--The Patriot Gaurd
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a wide range of people here, conservative, liberal, moderate, religious, irreligious, etc.

There are some here who pro-war and some who are anti-war, but there are a few things I think everyone here agrees on.

1) The Soldiers in Iraq, for the vast majority, should be honored and celebrated. Those who have died should recieve a hero's funeral.

2) Fred Phelps is a wart on the face of Christianity, a public nuisance, and a closed minded idiot.

3) Phelps anti-homosexual protests at the funerals of our soldiers is wrong.

So lets send out a great big "GREAT JOB" to those who have found a way to do something about it.

The Patriot Guard is a group of veterans and motorcycle enthusiasts who travel from funeral to funeral waving the flag and demonstrating the nations true respect to her soldiers and her family.

Everyone join me in giving this group a rousing [The Wave]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good. I've known about the WBC's funeral protests for ages, and it's so good to hear that someone's actually doing something about it.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Go team!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal. I absolutely agree with all the things you posted.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't.

quote:
The Soldiers in Iraq, for the vast majority, should be honored and celebrated.
Why? What are they contributing to society or to the progress of mankind? In my opinion, a person who willingly makes himself a weapon of war is a person who has no respect for the sanctity of human life. He's a person who would kill in the name of an ideal; a zealot; a maniac. And is almost certainly *with a few exceptions* undeserving of honor or celebration.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my opinion, a person who willingly makes himself a weapon of war is a person who has no respect for the sanctity of human life.
How do you feel about the police?

I think your opinion is way off base and without a foundation in reason.

quote:
The Soldiers in Iraq, for the vast majority, should be honored and celebrated. Those who have died should recieve a hero's funeral.
I'm uneasy about this, though by and large, I agree. I'm not sure why exactly I am uneasy-- I wonder, though, if this focus on the soldierly hero isn't a bit excessive.

I'm a bit more interested in the civilian-as-hero then I am in the soldier-as-hero.

If we had more patriotic, liberty-minded citizens, I don't think the President would be nearly so blase' about his domestic espionage programs. The citizen-soldier (as opposed to just the soldier) is more vital to the freedom of the country than the armed forces.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are some here who pro-war and some who are anti-war, but there are a few things I think everyone here agrees on.

1) The Soldiers in Iraq, for the vast majority, should be honored and celebrated. Those who have died should recieve a hero's funeral.

I don't think it is safe to say that everyone agrees that we should honor and celebrate soldiers fighting for a cause they don't agree with via methods they don't agree with. After all, how many people think the terrorists should recieve a hero's funeral in their own countries? I suspect not too many.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

My concerns aside, bravo for the Patriot Guard. It is a completely admirable thing that they're doing.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Treso--I was saying that all here believe in honoring the commitments and dedication of US Soldiers, at least those who don't disgrace themselves, their uniforms, and thier country (ie, the torturing Abu Graib guards and others do not deserve this praise). I had yet to see any sign that people believed that the US Soldiers were bad people, wrong, or simply wasting their lives.

There is a difference in the motivation between a terrorist and a professional soldier. One is seeking to die for fame and glory and kill as many others as possible. The other dies despite their desire to live, but in order to serve their fellow countrymen, protect their country, and do so causing as little damage and death to non-enemies as possible.

Sure, you may be against the war, and against those who orchestrated it and especially those who fouled it up, but those politicians, generals, and policy guru's are not the soldiers who have died.

We don't honor US Soldiers for the way they die. We honor them for the way they lived.

TL, before you make so strong a comment on people willing to die for you, get to know them. Meet some soldiers and find out why they are doing what they are doing, and find out exactly what they are doing.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
My kudos to anyone who does something to stand up against Fred Phelps.

My favorite example is enacted in the play The Laramie Project. When Phelps was given permission to demonstrate in the park across from the church where Matthew Shepherd's funeral was being held, several members of the community got together to do something about it. On the day of the funeral, they arrived dressed as angels with 12 foot tall wings, and created a living wall of white that completely screened funeral attendees from Phelp's demonstration. I understand this was a re-enactment of something that actually happened. I hope so. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
TL, before you make so strong a comment on people willing to die for you, get to know them. Meet some soldiers and find out why they are doing what they are doing, and find out exactly what they are doing.
What makes you think I haven't...

*honestly perplexed*

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Because you posted something that some of us who also know soldiers and ex-soldiers find very incongruous with the men and women we know.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Phelps (I just can't give him the title of Rev.) both worries and baffles me. And these recent protests strike me as utterly bizarre.

(On a side note - I was reading about them in one of the Australian newspapers. The headline didn't mention Phelps, just "fundamentalist Christians" or something like that. The first third of the article only mentioned the name of his church [which I didn't recognise]. I was getting all agitated, until the article made the Phelps connection. And then I was relieved it was a known loony.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Why is it incongruous? The soldiers you know would *not* kill in the name of an ideal? The soldiers you know are *not* weapons of war, tools in the arsenal of decision-makers?
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is a difference in the motivation between a terrorist and a professional soldier. One is seeking to die for fame and glory and kill as many others as possible. The other dies despite their desire to live, but in order to serve their fellow countrymen, protect their country, and do so causing as little damage and death to non-enemies as possible.
The difference between the two descriptions you gave is thin when it comes to motivations. I suspect terrorists also die despite a desire to live, sacrifice their life in order to serve God (rather than their country), and do so to protect their people. Beyond this, the difference is mainly in the methods they consider acceptable to achieve that goal, and the degree to which we think (or don't think) what they are doing actually does help their people. I suspect most of us would agree the terrorists are shooting their own people and culture in the foot, and doing so in a morally unacceptable fashion, despite what they may think they are doing. So, for those who think the U.S. is using unacceptable methods to achieve its goals and who think those goals do not actually help the American people, it is reasonable to think they might not want to honor those soldiers.

I don't agree though. Frankly, I don't see any reason why anybody should not be honored at their funeral - especially if they sacrificed their life doing something that they considered morally important. That could include soldiers, terrorists, civilians, whatever.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of whether or not we should even respect the soldiers for what they do, only a vile and cruel person would protest at a funeral where loved friends and family say their final goodbyes.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Dan on this. That their sacrifice has been, I believe, misused, does not detract one bit from the enormity and gallant nature of the sacrifice our soldiers make. One of the reasons I am so outraged at this war is because I do not think that the enormity of that sacrifice was (or even now, is) fully comprehended by the people who made the decision to go to war. (see "cakewalk").
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stasia
Member # 9122

- posted      Profile for Stasia   Email Stasia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Regardless of whether or not we should even respect the soldiers for what they do, only a vile and cruel person would protest at a funeral where loved friends and family say their final goodbyes.

I second this. I was fighting with the right words but then you said it perfectly for me.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:

I think you are naively optimistic.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very anti-this-war-in-particular. I have spent a lot (though, clearly not enough) time at protests, lectures, meetings, and so forth. If you count this thread, I have heard the soldiers themselves disparaged exactly twice.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you oppose the war to the point of derision towards the soldiers themselves, Phelps and his ilk aren't opposing them for anything having to do with the war. They're opposing them in the psychotic belief that they're being punished for fighting for a country that harbors homosexuals.

I'll echo the approval of the Patriot Guard.

[The Wave]

As far as Phelps and his Christians-in-name-only, perhaps he should be feel lucky for the freedoms of speech, assembly, and religion.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I back you on this. What the Patriot Guard is doing is fantastic.

To anyone who has something against the soldiers (I don't care if you're against the war, just the soldiers)...there are words that I have for you, but I can not write them on this forum. How can you sit there and put down those that are willing to take a bullet so that you can waste your life playing as you please? Yes, I said waste. Because it seems to me that I am being told that we waste ours by being in the service.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I oppose the war. Vehemently.

That has absolutely nothing to do with whether our soldiers who are now dying in Iraq should have a respectful funeral service. Funerals are a chance for family and friends to say goodbye to someone that they love. Anyone who disrespects people who are hurting at such a time shouldn't have the right to call themselves human.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.