FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bringing Pollution Down to Zero...

Author Topic: Bringing Pollution Down to Zero...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently remembered the name of a TV show that I used to watch. I don't think its on anymore. But it was really cool.

Does anyone else remember watching Captain Planet?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure do. It even came back on years later with different voice actors, wasn't as good the second time around though.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that show. What the hell was Heart all about? he never did anything usefull. Fire and Earth kicked-A though.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
The power is yours!
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I remembered it during my Honors Biology class today. We were doing an in class project that involved making a five-year plan to clean up a site near a factory with a two million dollar budget. And someone mentioned, "What was the name of the one guy with the power rings?"

And I suddenly remembered, and, rather than answering, proceeded to yell, "Earth!" and shove my fist into the air. People looked at me and I explained about Captain Planet. My partner and I ended up hiring him for our project.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
I remember that show. What the hell was Heart all about? he never did anything usefull. Fire and Earth kicked-A though.

I think he had something to do with animal life. Didn't he have a lemur that lived on his shoulder or something?
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Earth!
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he made animals love him. But what good is that when you can make a pillar of earth smash a bad guy into the ground or make him errupt in flames?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

"Fire!"

"Wind!"

"Water!"

"Heart!"

"Go planet!"

"With your powers combined I am Captain Planet!"

"Captain Planet, he's our hero! Gonna take pollution down to zero. He's our powers, magnified. And he's fighting on the planet's side!"

Geez, I can't believe I remember that.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Heart was definitely the weakest of the five. Wussy.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the theme song to that show on my computer. I have the theme songs for a lot of 90s shows on my computer. Including Ducktales and Tailspin. Those two were classics.

Fire was the coolest, although Earth is right up there. Heart was just a stupid character. But I wanted to be Water. She was awesome.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Yeah, he made animals love him. But what good is that when you can make a pillar of earth smash a bad guy into the ground or make him errupt in flames?

I think he would have been a lot cooler if his power had been, "Rabies!" And he could make rabid animals attack people.
sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I will sometimes randomly start singing the Captain Planet theme song. I don't know why it just sometimes pops into my head. . .weird
Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Planet was such a lame superhero. Garbage and pollution hurt him, so could I kill him just by throwing crumpled balls of paper and candy wrappers at him. [Razz]

And what was up with those villains? I can understand polluting for profit, but half the time it seemed like they were doing it just to be jerks.

"I'll pour this toxic waste into the river. Why? Just because! Mwahahaha!"

It did have a catchy theme song though.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Planet: he's a hero!
Gonna take pollution down to zero!
He's our powers magnified
And he's fighting on the planet's side!

We're the planeteers, you can be one, too,
'Cause saving the planet is the thing to do!
Looting and polluting is not the way;
Hear what Captain Planet has to say!

"The Power is YOURS!"

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

My new purpose in life is to make the Captain Planet movie. And you may laugh. But it'll rock your socks off.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I still sing that theme song ALL THE TIME. [Big Grin] I even have other versions for it, like when I clean and dress my husband's finger injury every day:

"Action-bandage, it's a zinger!
Gonna let the Marky use his finger!"

And so forth. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I wish they'd put it on DVD now...
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the memories! I loved that show, and I think I was an adult when it came on.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

There is no shame in that.
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I love captain planet!

On a [somewhat] related side note, four guys I know walked down the halls one morning at school singing "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" in four part harmony. THey're good singers, too. it was incredible.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I wasn't any good at those computer games...
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
On a [somewhat] related side note, four guys I know walked down the halls one morning at school singing "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" in four part harmony. THey're good singers, too. it was incredible.

Actually, the theme song was originally done by an a capella group called Rockapella. So, the 4-part harmony doesn't surprise me. But that's still really cool. It's like a barber-shop quartet. Only sexier.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
We're the Planeteers! You can be one, too! 'cause saving our planet is the thing to do! Looting and polluting is not the way! Here's what Captain Planet has to say!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Don't litter. It makes pandas die.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Fire was kinda cute.

erosomniac and I had a discussion about Captain Planet a few weeks ago and concluded that it merely reinforces American stereotypes of the world. [Razz]

Earth is from Africa!
Wind is from...Holland or something! Either way, she's vaguely European, where they have windmills! They are also very blonde!
Heart is from South America or something, where they commune with animals, but that is a totally useless ability in today's world!
Water is Asian because they have tsunamis!
Fire is free-spirited and rebellious, like all red-blooded American teenagers!

(And no, it wasn't meant to be a very serious discussion. Don't jump all over me.)

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Actually, I had a similar thought. It was a very stereotypical show.

Another show I used to watch was Street Sharks. Did anyone watch that show?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.