FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "n00b." A question of linguistic origins.

Author Topic: "n00b." A question of linguistic origins.
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a nagging question. I have seen terms like newbie , newb , noob, nOOb , and n00b floating around for some time now (I'm sure there are other variants I'm missing). Newbie seems relatively straight-forward (NEW-bie, someone who is or acts or is considered to be new), and newb could easily be explained as the short form of newbie.

But the alternate spellings of noob, especially capitalizing the 'O' or using zeroes, suggest that there's some other significance to the word, as if it's an acronym or a shortened form of some word or phrase. I've often seen this usage in conjunction with such words as own, pwn, or prune (ie: "We're gonna go pwn us some nOObs!"). The meaning of this phrase seems clear (ie: "We're going to emerge victorious in this highly civilized competition against opponents who are clearly our inferiors."), but it isn't clear to me where nOOb came from and why it is used the way it is.

Also, is it possible that nOOb is a precursor to newbie and that the latter is a misunderstood or misrepresented version of the former? Or, it occurs to me that nOOb and newbie could have evolved independent of one another and have since (perhaps mistakenly) become associated with each other.

This n00b would appreciate it is someone could set him straight. As long as he doesn't have to get pruned in the process. [Smile]

[edited for spelling]

[ February 24, 2006, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: JemmyGrove ]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
A n00b seems like internet-speak for newb. But the connotation is certainly different!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Is n00b Leet? Is pwned also Leet? I often hear my brothers/students mention 'leet speak' and I figured it had to do with all of this.

I should check out wikipedia I suppose....

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet_speak

Yes. I think n00b is l33t. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh, and hi there. [Wave]
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to work on the assumption that this is a more-or-less serious query and give my 2 cents:

newcomer (or something like it from "legitimate" language) became newbie

newbie was then shortened to noob (effectively the phonetic spelling of the first syllable)

due to a combination of 2 factors I can think of, it is often typed as: n00b
1) "leetspeak" where as many letters as possible are transcribed to numbers or other characters which can take their place (approximately)

2) due to the fact that the word sounds like the similar slang term: boob, which refers to breasts, the larger "0" is sometimes used in place of the smaller "o" to emphasize this mammary link.

If you want to go further you can view other offshoots of the term such as:
nub (generally used in either a more caustic or more sarcastic vein, also draws in reference to the insignificant with the comparison to more legitimate terminology of nub being the remains of something, be it a limb, eraser etc...)
nublet (associated with "nub" but adding further insult with the connotation of an infant)

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
additional comments on leetspeak, and associated terminology:

while some terms have been melded into leetspeak, they don't all have the same source. The mainstream push of leetspeak in my mind is to replace legitimate letters with numeric/symbolic substitutes, such as 5 = S, but some terminology breaks from this trend.
For example:
pwn is derived from the common misspelling of "own" but since the p key is adjacent to the o key, it is commonly misspelled, and eventually was drawn into common usage.

similarly "teh" is replacing "the" as it is the commong mis-type of the real word.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, I could tell the origin of things like 'teh' and 'pwn,' but I didn't realize they all had their own linguistic category. Cool.

And welcome to the forum The Grimace. [Smile]

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I use "teh" instead of "the" when I'm making fun of someone or something, generally.

For example, if I was speaking of some random girl who'd said something ridiculous, I'd type it to someone else as:
"And she was like, "OMGZ U R SO TOTALLEE DUM TEH INTARWEBS R LYFE!!!1!11!one'"

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all. I meant it as a serious query (despite the attempted humor), and that's great feed back TheGrimace.

And l33t makes sense, although that doesn't explain pwn or prune. Any ideas?

And hi Narnia. [Smile]

Edit: Sorry, too slow.

Double Edit: Welcome to the board TheGrimace. [Wave]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

So is prune then derived from pwn? Another case of using a word that sounds like a word that looks like the word that means what I'm trying to say . . .
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

pH, that's hilarious! I love it. [ROFL]
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
People mistyped OWNED so often online, that the mistake became the norm.

Now people aren't owned, but pwned. [Wink]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
I think n00b is l33t. [Smile]

Isn't it |\|006?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by JemmyGrove:

Thanks! I win the internets. [Cool]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Originally posted by JemmyGrove:

Thanks! I win the internets. [Cool]

-pH

That's "TEH INTERNETS" [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Noob is derogatory. Newbie is not. Well, at least in the MMORPG world... [Smile]
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Swampjedi nailed it: "n00b/noob" tend to be derogatory, where "newbie" is just a term.

See the difference:
"Hi, I'm a newbie, what are the rules regarding signing your posts?"

vs

"ROFL OMG STFU NOOB."

"pwn" and "teh" were consciously adopted misspellings as has already been explained; however, I think they are a recognized part of l33t speak purely through association, since l33t began with the deliberate deformation of words.

quote:
Isn't it |\|006?
No, the |\| to replace an N and [\/] to replace M, etc., were all much later innovations generally ignored by l33tists, since they did not contribute to the original goal of making permanent information (e.g. websites, BBs, chat logs) untrackable through word recognition searches.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. And here I was thinking that the original goal was to make the information unintelligible to parents.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

"pwn" and "teh" were consciously adopted misspellings as has already been explained; however, I think they are a recognized part of l33t speak purely through association, since l33t began with the deliberate deformation of words.

Is there a source for this information other than Wikipedia? It seems mildly questionable to me. I've been trying to figure out how correct it is, but haven't had any luck.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
quote:

Is there a source for this information other than Wikipedia? It seems mildly questionable to me. I've been trying to figure out how correct it is, but haven't had any luck.
I'd heard something similar way, way back.

I mean, OMG STFU N00B!!1!11one

-pH

Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want the essentially authoritative answer, check out this link: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/N/newbie.html

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I got the information through experience - more some friends' than mine.

Edit to add: You can also read a lot of Vinge's nonfiction and essays for anecdotes and interviews with hackers, programmers, security officials, CIA agents, etc. to verify the information. The appearance of l33t is closely tied to the surge in cyberpunk science fiction, the digital anarchist movement, etc.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

The BBC article confirms that l33t originated as deliberate deformation of words in order to make public information unsearchable by keywords.

I think I find the article annoying because I don't consider medium/hard/ultra l33t to be leetspeak anymore - it's just children creating millions of variations of their own code language.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Oh. And here I was thinking that the original goal was to make the information unintelligible to parents.

What I've always heard, although I'm not sure if it is true, is that a lot of the early leet speak started as a way to fool search engines.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In my direct experience, l33t predates Yahoo. While I have no doubt that it became more prevalent in order to "defeat" search engines, its questionable utility for that purpose makes it more likely that it was adopted out of the vain hope that it might help obscure illegal file-sharing and/or hacking discussions (while, of course, reinforcing a sense of "special" knowledge.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

Boris, that article was great. I had no idea what I was getting into with this topic . . .

I guess that probably identifies me as a n00b. [Wink]

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

what I find particularly amusing is the different "levels" of l33t, and what is acceptable in certain company. for good example, many would not have issue with terms such as pwn, nub, n00b, l33t, etc. as the common and easily typed variants of the normal words, but then when you keep going along those lines of blurring to [V] and others (as mentioned above) you would likely be subject to ridicule.

Part of this differentiation I believe to be associated with the initial usage as an actual substitute to the normal spelling of word in conversation (i.e. I can train myself to substitute 3 for e automatically if so desired) versus 2 factors:
1) an attempt to "look cool" by creating even more obscure replacement letters (also coming out in the obscure symbols you get with alt + {some number combo}). this motivation is largely looked upon with annoyance or scorn.
2) an attempt to have a certain screename/handle which was already taken (seen as somewhat more legitimate, but still somewhat frowned upon)

Not that this discussion really gets us anywhere, but it's fun to mull over.

Also, thanks for the welcome to the boards =p

~Teh Gr1[V]รว3 (just to be rediculous)

Narnia
Member # 1071

[Big Grin]
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
pH teh r0x0rz
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
I found one inconsistency with that article, being a big 1337 fan. [Big Grin]
n00b is most commonly said as an insult, such as idiot, not newbie. That is, when in the presence of 1337 fans, at least. [Big Grin]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

Does this mean that technically, the 'correct' l33t spelling of noob is with zeroes (as opposed to capitalizing the 'O')? The zeroes would seem to be in line with what I see as the primary justifications listed for l33t5p34k: replacing letters with numbers or symbols, and making the word unsearchable by keyword.

Is it a contradiction in terms to specify a 'correct' spelling of any word in l33t? [Wink]

[Edit: on my own unsubstantiated advise I have edited the thread title to use zeroes.]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, it actually does look weird with the OO and that shows that I spend too much time on the internet. [Wink]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I found one inconsistency with that article, being a big 1337 fan. [Big Grin]
n00b is most commonly said as an insult, such as idiot, not newbie. That is, when in the presence of 1337 fans, at least. [Big Grin]

I might be wrong about this (since current l33tists, especially those of the online gaming variety, are frequently morons - no implication intended), but n00b still does not translate directly like "idiot." It's an insult, certainly, but only because of the implication: n00b basically translates to "stupid newbie," as per my example above:

quote:
ROFL OMG STFU NOOB
From what I've seen in 10 years of MMO gaming, it's evolved into a gutshot insult purely because of the reaction it tends to provoke - the same way gamers will say things that imply someone is 12, purely for insult factor, even when they're reasonably certain it's not true.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
quote:

I'd heard something similar way, way back.

I mean, OMG STFU N00B!!1!11one

-pH

LONG and drawn out shudder..... ugggghhhh [Mad]

I am SO GLAD to see that garbage gone (mostly) from the net. It was such a pointless waste of time and mental energy. I suppose you could label it a "cultural paradigm shift," but I would only call it tiresome, and confusing.

And by the way, "nOOb" is such a cynically pointless epithet, I scarcely consider anyone who might use it to be worth the time it took to compose even this response. As if the internet or any part of it exists in such a way as to place some in friendly territory, and others as visitors in a foreign domain? Give me a break please everybody.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.