FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Letter from my uncle in Iraq

Author Topic: A Letter from my uncle in Iraq
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The subject line of the e-mail he sent me said, "Letter from the Mayor." He was referring to a letter from the mayor of a town in Iraq that had been making its way around the area where he is stationed. The e-mail is below:

quote:
Hi everyone! 

This letter is from the Mayor of Tal Afar, Iraq, one of the areas that we support – to the soldiers of 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment – one of the biggest units we have supported so far.  They are done with their tour and redeploying home, but they did good things while they were here.  Just thought I’d share this letter because this is, again, another “good news” story that will never make the news and most Americans will never hear about.  That’s really sad.  This is a great letter and just goes to show that there are good things happening over here.

Letter:

In the Name of God the Compassionate and Merciful

To the Courageous Men and Women of the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment, who have changed the city of Tall’ Afar from a ghost town, in which terrorists spread death and destruction, to a secure city flourishing with life.

To the lion-hearts who liberated our city from the grasp of terrorists who were beheading men, women and children in the streets for many months.

To those who spread smiles on the faces of our children, and gave us restored hope, through their personal sacrifice and brave fighting, and gave new life to the city after hopelessness darkened our days, and stole our confidence in our ability to reestablish our city.

Our city was the main base of operations for Abu Mousab Al Zarqawi. The city was completely held hostage in the hands of his henchmen. Our schools, governmental services, businesses and offices were closed. Our streets were silent, and no one dared to walk them. Our people were barricaded in their homes out of fear; death awaited them around every corner. Terrorists occupied and controlled the only hospital in the city. Their savagery reached such a level that they stuffed the corpses of children with explosives and tossed them into the streets in order to kill grieving parents attempting to retrieve the bodies of their young. This was the situation of our city until God prepared and delivered unto them the courageous soldiers of the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment, who liberated this city, ridding it of Zarqawi’s followers after harsh fighting, killing many terrorists, and forcing the remaining butchers to flee the city like rats to the surrounding areas, where the bravery of other 3d ACR soldiers in Sinjar, Rabiah, Zumar and Avgani finally destroyed them.

I have met many soldiers of the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment; they are not only courageous men and women, but avenging angels sent by The God Himself to fight the evil of terrorism.

The leaders of this Regiment; COL McMaster, COL Armstrong, LTC Hickey, LTC Gibson, and LTC Reilly embody courage, strength, vision and wisdom. Officers and soldiers alike bristle with the confidence and character of knights in a bygone era. The mission they have accomplished, by means of a unique military operation, stands among the finest military feats to date in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and truly deserves to be studied in military science. This military operation was clean, with little collateral damage, despite the ferocity of the enemy. With the skill and precision of surgeons they dealt with the terrorist cancers in the city without causing unnecessary damage.

God bless this brave Regiment; God bless the families who dedicated these brave men and women. From the bottom of our hearts we thank the families. They have given us something we will never forget. To the families of those who have given their holy blood for our land, we all bow to you in reverence and to the souls of your loved ones. Their sacrifice was not in vain. They are not dead, but alive, and their souls hovering around us every second of every minute. They will never be forgotten for giving their precious lives. They have sacrificed that which is most valuable. We see them in the smile of every child, and in every flower growing in this land. Let America, their families, and the world be proud of their sacrifice for humanity and life.

Finally, no matter how much I write or speak about this brave Regiment, I haven’t the words to describe the courage of its officers and soldiers. I pray to God to grant happiness and health to these legendary heroes and their brave families.

NAJIM ABDULLAH ABID AL-JIBOURI
Mayor of Tall 'Afar, Ninewa, Iraq

Greyhawk adds that members of the Regiment are now returning home to Ft. Carson, Colorado.

Col. McMaster is the Commander of the Regiment and a Ph.D. in American history. This past September, Col. McMaster briefed the Pentagon press corps on Operation Restoring Rights by video from Iraq that was accessible here (I can't find it at the moment). Forty minutes long, Col. McMaster's briefing was utterly compelling, including an account of the discovery of an enemy house rigged with chemical weapons. You may also wish to check out Col. McMaster's

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The mayor definitely has a way with words.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone Snoped this? It'd be awesome if it's true.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Why wouldn't it be true?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that can be used as strongly as this can by either side in a political debate is suspect until substantiated.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why wouldn't it be true?
Why? Hmmm...the internet has made skeptics of some of us and gullible believers out of the rest. I firmly believe that the only intelligent thing that ever came out of Ronald Reagan's mouth was "Trust, but verify."

Edit: Edited for clarity's sake, and also because of an unhealthy penchant for thinking intelligent and typing intelligible...

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It's all over the net.

Steve, I think "glurge" is the concern. Here's a link that may explain:

http://www.wordspy.com/words/glurge.asp

-----------------------------------------

Excerpt:
quote:
Glurge (a term which can be used to describe one story or applied to the genre as a whole) is the body of inspirational tales which conceal much darker meanings than the uplifting moral lessons they purport to offer, and which undermine their messages by fabricating and distorting historical fact in the guise of offering "true stories." Glurge often contains such heart-tugging elements as sad-eyed puppies, sweet-faced children, angels, dying mothers, or miraculous rescues brought about by prayer. These stories are meant to be parables for modern times but fall far short of the mark.
—DDEckerslyke, "Glurge," alt.usage.english, August 26, 2003

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I guess that makes sense.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Snopes says it is undetermined.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It hadn't even crossed my mind that it might not be true. I just assumed that it was since I'd gotten from my uncle who was there. I just thought that was verification enough, I guess...
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The thing is, most "glurge" is just a step or two from the original writer, or so it seems. Your uncle could well be in the midst of a very busy life, and -- coming across this in his email -- think you might appreciate it.

Of course, the people cited as involved may very well have been there and done good work. It's just that the mayor might or might not have written this particular letter.

You can see how your uncle might easily provide verification of the former and just be (understandably, as many people pass these things on, true or not) assuming the latter.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading for a long time that the 3rdArmoredCavalry has a very very good reputation amongst Iraqis. There have been more than a few mainstream newspaper/magazine/NPR/etc articles about what they're doing right inregards to relationships with civilians, treatment of suspects, etc within their area of control.
So the only surprise in that commendation letter would be that a public official had the bravery to sign it in face of the insurgency.

[ February 24, 2006, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I too would love for this to be true, but good things like this more often than not end up being not true.

I'm suspicious of anything I hear on the net.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Snopes has it as undetermined.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I know a bit about Arabic translations, and either that's a REALLY good one, or someone did quite a bit of tweaking. Unless the original is in English, in which case, the mayor is either an American or British.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
I at first thought this was a likely fake, because I recognized the Name "McMaster" from a Tom Clancy book on armor in Desert Storm. I googled the 3d ACR and their commander is, indeed, Col. McMaster and, incidentally the same man as Captain McMaster from Clancy's book, now in command of the unit he was a member of over a decade ago.

So that much, at least, is true. There doesn't, however, seem to be a reference to the above letter on the website.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

link to a recent interview with Col. McMaster that would seem to indicate the Mayor has reason to be pleased. (haven't finished reading it yet, but it seemed relevant)
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Great interview! It makes me so happy to hear about those successes. It's really a crucial thing that we are doing to help bring stability and democracy to Iraq. It can make such a difference in the middle east and the whole world if we can, with God's help, pull it off. I know the people of Iraq deserve to live in peace and freedom. I know that those who want to destroy what's being built are wrong. I really wish things had worked out so that I could have gone over there. I don't know how much I could have helped, but I do feel that it's so very worthwhile a thing to do.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I am more than willing to believe the mayor really feels as his letter indicates....

On the other hand, how do you treat all the people with the heavy firepower that not only have all the big guns, but also represent the possibility of a lot of improvements and money for your town...?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved a letter from my own uncle, some months ago, he is a Captain in the marines, who works in intelligence near falujah.

His letter was not quite so cheery, and I always wonder why we get these anecdotal tales from the military in which everything is sunshine and lollypos (an exaggeration on my part). My own uncle is a career military man, and he isn't totally against what is going on there, but he's not afraid to admit the downsides.

I wonder if it is a lack of confidence which prompts military people to speak out so strongly in favor of war? I suppose if you felt that we never got good news about the war, only the failures, then you might feel slighted at having to be seen as a part of disaster like that. On the other hand, I wonder if the military isn't exposed to what we are. What I mean is, maybe the military doesn't know what it is we hear and don't hear, maybe they are told that we get only bad news.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

I'll admit I've seen more news of the letter (which is uncomfirmed in snopes, but has been reported by a few newspapers) than of the briefing/interview, but, (while I suppose it is strictly true) it seems a little disparaging to dismiss this press conference as "anecdotal", especially when Col. McMaster answers the questions this directly and forthrightly, with hard numbers in applicable spots.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
On the other hand, I wonder if the military isn't exposed to what we are. What I mean is, maybe the military doesn't know what it is we hear and don't hear, maybe they are told that we get only bad news.

I'm willing to bet that every soldier over there now has seen exactly what the media tells the country about the war. Soldiers in Iraq typically stay there for a year. There aren't any soldiers that haven't been home and seen what makes the news here.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by password:
I'll admit I've seen more news of the letter (which is uncomfirmed in snopes, but has been reported by a few newspapers) than of the briefing/interview, but, (while I suppose it is strictly true) it seems a little disparaging to dismiss this press conference as "anecdotal", especially when Col. McMaster answers the questions this directly and forthrightly, with hard numbers in applicable spots.

Col. McMaster specifically mentions the letter written by the mayor? *interested

I care about the accuracy of the the report of the letter because if it wasn't actually sent from the mayor as described, then it can cast a pall on the underlying truth of the story.

I can imagine this:

quote:
"Hey Joe, you hear about that 3rd cavalry unit in Iraq? Pretty cool, huh?"

"Aw, naw, I read that that letter was a fake. They disproved that."

That [false] conclusion would be such a shame!

Accuracy is important. It's hard to get people to parse out what might still be true out of something that's been cast as false in some general sense.

That is, I don't doubt these are fine guys. I think the honor we could pay them would be scrupulously correct about what they did and what came of it. [Which may or may not include the letter, of course. I just think it deserves verification.]

password
Member # 9105

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Col. McMaster specifically mentions the letter written by the mayor? *interested

No, he does not mention it at all. Forgive me if I gave that impression. It seemed to me that Orincoro was lumping the letter and the interview together as "anecdotal", but I have already miscalled things like that.

However, he (McMaster) *does* inadvertently confirm one of the other names in the letter and yet another name shows up on the regimental website. The letter may still be a piece of urban legend, but it seems much better researched than most.

What I'm trying to say here is that my intent was to gain recognition of the difference between the interview and the letter, especially since the more established one does agree with the other, at least with regard to circumstantial things.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by password:

What I'm trying to say here is that my intent was to gain recognition of the difference between the interview and the letter, especially since the more established one does agree with the other, at least with regard to circumstantial things.

That's great. I think we have the same intent, then.

Fight the good fight! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.