FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Weird computer problem

Author Topic: Weird computer problem
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
A coworker and I are having strange, intermittent printing issues. When it happens to her, it's always from Internet Explorer. When it's my turn, it's always Excel. In both our cases, we can print from any other program, and anyone else can print the documents or pages we're trying to get. Nobody else has print jobs in queue when it happens, so we're not just hung up behind another user. We get the normal print command screen, and a pop-up telling us that our job is being spooled, but nothing actually makes it to the printer or to the queue listing on the computers. And the only way we've found so far to restore our print ability is to reboot our workstations. I've just had my third "attack" this week, she's had two so far and is out of the office today.

Part of the fun n games is that because our office's IT is an idiot, we have multiple different versions of Windows and multiple different versions of our programs on the various workstations. I honestly don't think we have two computers with matching configurations. Oh, and this didn't start happening until the IT reset everyone in the office to having "my" printer as the default. However, since both of us were already defaulted to this printer already, I think that's coincidental.

I'm relatively sure it's not viral because we do have Mcafee running at all times and it's set to auto-update on Wednesday nights. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Complete de-rail, but since you might by watching - do I owe you $ for cookies?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody - all I can say is that since our office switched to Office 2003 version, we have seen something like this on rare and intermittent ocassions with just one or two PCs.

Rebooting seems to fix it for the temporary, and so we haven't done any delving to try to find a cause or solution. We just tell them to reboot to get them going again and reconnect to the printer.

(in our case, it was always Excel, I haven't heard of a similar issue from IE).

I suppose I should actually try to find a solution some day soon....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate, I haven't gotten them from Jenn yet, which is why I haven't emailed you to coordinate lunch. She was out of town this week, I think she comes back tomorrow.

And FG, I'm so very glad to hear it's not just our system!!! Not happy to hear that it's pretty definitely an Office bug, but happy to know I'm not alone.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
You can try this. It has a small chance of working--depending on the problem.

Go to your run command ("windows key" + "R") and type:

"net stop spooler" hit "enter"

then bring up the run command again and type:

"net start spooler" and "enter."

See if that helps.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's IE. What's the big surprise? Ditch the bugger!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Kate: cookies are in!

JH: <laughing> except that doesn't explain my issue with Excel. While Tina could theoretically install and run Firefox (assuming our IT moron hasn't blocked us from doing so), I can't exactly dump my problem software.

lem: I'll give that a try next time I have a problem, thank you for the suggestion.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Woot! Lem, that works! (at least this time) Thank you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.