FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Old man Bob sets things straight (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Old man Bob sets things straight
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
They still make these too.

brand new mimeograph

Does anyone remember the difference between mimeographs and dittos?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
In my day I shaved with a straight razor.

Still do that too.

I also use bits and a brace. Who knows what that means? (no google allowed)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, you wacky Luddite, you!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

And proud of it baby!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I also use bits and a brace. Who knows what that means? (no google allowed)

Suspenders, right?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Nope.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Maybe Bob would know. It's a man thing, probably.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

A truss?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
A hand drill.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was your age, we didn't have cable, we didn't have satellite, we had antennae on the roof.
I just bought one of those. Guess what? It works.

You fools! Put the antannae in the attic not on the roof. It works just as well but doesn't get blown down in wind storms or crushed by heavy snow.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Dana got it in one.

Tante: I thought that might lead in that direction.

Rabbit: The house I grew up in had a flat roof and no attic. The house I now own has "cathedral ceilings" (which is pretty funny considering the slope of my roof is only 1 on 12). Neither had an attic to put an antenna in. And I've never had an antenna get blown down in a wind storm. I imagine it'd be hard to get the antenna rotator to work in an attic also, 'cause it would get caught on the christmas ornament box everytime you try to tune in a station from Schenectady.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Does anyone remember the difference between mimeographs and dittos?

No, please tell me. Because what Tante described as mimeographs--the purple-ink sheets we deeply inhaled--we called dittos.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Your TV stations broadcast over the airwaves? WOW!

In my day we didn't have airwaves. It was all particles. Photons were little billiard balls. If you went outside on a sunny day, you'd come back home with a concussion and a lumpy sunburn.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hey, I STILL come home with a concussion and a lumpy sunburn if I go outside on a sunny day.

Anyway, when I was a kid, we didn't have "outside". If we wanted to go out, we had to go out back.

Later on, when these kinds of things go to be more widespread, we could go out front.

But out side? Unheard of!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah widespread! We had to spread things narrowly when I was a lad. Anything over a millimeter and you'd be in BIG trouble. And that was before we even had the metric system to know how wide a millimeter was!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
So you used hairs off your head to measure 'em?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Mimeograph was the stencil, Ditto was the spirit fluid. You needed both to make a copy.

Then there was the Ozalid process (positive image), and the even older blueprints (negative image).

Tante: When I was a kid, there was no inside. Which was just fine with me, because houses are nothing but a modern convenience anyway.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*laughing at Glen Arnold*

You're right, Glen -- houses were big adult conveniences, and giant-sized kid headaches.

If we were in one, it meant just a couple of things:

1. In deep big trouble
2. Sick
3. Dinner, (tubbie), bed

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mimeograph was the stencil, Ditto was the spirit fluid. You needed both to make a copy.

FWIW, this is not accurate. Mimeographs and dittos are two closely related, but distinct forms of printing. Ditto is not a fluid, it is the machine, or process or whatever, itself. Ditto sheets were thicker than mimeograph sheets, and worked by a reverse process, kind of like a carbon paper. Whatever you wrote or typed would be copied in reverse on the back side of the sheet. Then you would throw away the carbon and attach the ditto paper to the roller, which would make the impressions, re-reversed, or correct side out. Mimeographs used a much thinner paper, and pushed ink through the paper, as opposed to "reflecting" it off of the paper.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
What the--?

Does anybody else have the title "Is Sex Important?" at the top of this window?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My window says "Is Bob Important?"
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
My window says "No"

Sorry man, I couldn't help myself.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so old that I laughed when The Rabbit posted about tv antennae.

(A link for yuo whippersnappers)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rabbit+ears

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.