FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there any disaster that could wipe out the human race? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is there any disaster that could wipe out the human race?
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot think of a single disaster that could destroy humanity. Either we are too numerous, or too intelligent to be destroyed by these disastors

Comet: New technology is arising to counter these, which would ultimately make them undangerous.

Nuclear war: Every area of the world would have to be bombed, which is extremely unlikely. Politically, it would be almost imposible to launch that many nukes, to destroy mankind.

Can anyone think of something that could destroy the world? Funny ideas accepted too!

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sun goes supernova.

Game very OVER.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Ahhh yes, but that will be in about 5 Billion years. By then, we will have colonized other solar systems, and saved ourselves from this disatser.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, really. The sun goes nova. Better still, a nearby star (as in, within a few hundred parsecs) goes supernova. Some idiot makes a black hole large enough to survive for some period, and drops it into the centre of the Earth. An alien race drops a large nickel-iron asteroid into the Sun - solar flares, yay - or the Earth. (And I do think a comet shield is some decades away; you don't have to have aliens, even. Right now, if an asteroid was headed for the Sun, I don't think we'd detect it.)

There is no theoretical upper limit on the size of fusion bombs. So in principle you only need one. Or put a rocket on the Moon and knock it out of orbit, so it hits the Earth. Now, that would be a bang.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Are there any stars that will go supernova soon? Negatory according to what I've read. How do you create a black hole without destroying the Earth first? That kind of technology won't be around for a very long time. An asteroid would have to be so unimaginably gigantic to destroy the sun, or even make a change, I think we would dectect it. Besides, how would an asteroid get that big? Knock the moon out of orbit with a rocket? That would have to be a VERY powerful rocket.

There, I have annilhated your arguments. Hahaha!

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have a disaster. Picture this:

1) The Constitution is amended to once again allow presidents to have as many terms as they are elected.

2) President Bush is re-elected a few more times and decides that he had taken most of the power anyway, why not take all of it?

3) America becomes a dictatorship.

4) President Bush leads the world into World War III ending in nuclear armageddon.

5) Radiation and other sources of pollution from the war cause the atmosphere to gain an even larger hole.

6) The polar caps are melted, the temperature rises everywhere, the world is flooded.

7) The atmosphere continues to shrink and eventually the planet is fried by the Sun's rays.

Any questions?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Yes; will there still be icecream?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

No, Bush will ban ice cream and have anyone who makes/buys/sells/eats it be publicly executed.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you high?

And to think, I just came here to snark that if something did wipe out the human race, I'm sure it would be Pres. Bush's fault.

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Our sun asplode.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Darn! What about monkeys and cheese?

And Cheese Monkeys?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking about the complete extinction of the race, or the collapse of human civilization?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Wow, that post must make me look REALLY high.

Either, Tom.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
Are you high?

And to think, I just came here to snark that if something did wipe out the human race, I'm sure it would be Pres. Bush's fault.

No, I am not high. Though, I have been accused of being a stoner a number of times. [Big Grin]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
SteveRogers: Unless the only living humans are clustered in California and Florida, the melting of the polar ice caps won't kill us all.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Must you ruin the fun? Big meanie!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yellowstone erupting would be a pretty big deal. Between the immediate effect of wiping out the west coast, the tremors and shockwaves all over the globe, the economic disruption, and the dust and ash it would kick up... I can see that being pretty devastating. And there's really nothing we can do about it if it decides to go.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Our sun's not going to go supernova. It's going to become a red giant and burn up the Earth. So Earth asplode, but not sun.

Apparently last time a Yellowstone size event happened, only about a hundred people survived...

I think we should build some moonbases, like, now, already. Just in case.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
psshah. The biggest danger is if Chuck Noris ever decides to stop being lazy.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I bet that the world would end when a giant, black cat crosses its path.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The world will end when the Cylons come back.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"We'll all go together when we go, suffused in an incandescent glow.
They'll be no pain and misery when the earth is our rotisserie.
Yes we'll all go together when we go!"

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are a number of things -- nuclear war, flu epidemics, widespread famine -- that could, either alone or (as is more likely) in conjunction with each other, effectively shatter and then destroy human civilization. And once that civilization is destroyed, we'd become vulnerable to any number of normal extinction events.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Another season of "The Simple Life" ought to do it.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think that life as we know it shall end when George Lucas's next adaptation of Star Wars comes out. When does the three-dimensional version come out?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we're really that close to having a viable asteroid/comet survival plan, unless we pull a Deep Impact and burrow underground until the crap passes us by. But if it's big enough, that won't be enough.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Comet: New technology is arising to counter these, which would ultimately make them undangerous.
I have serious doubts as to our ability in the near future(next 20 years) to be able to automatically detect comets/asteroids in enough time to be able to launch something capable of doing anything about it.

What are these new technologies you are talking about?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Didn't Ronald Reagan propose the Star Wars defense for this very reason?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Peak Oil.

Peak Water.

Another George W. Bush term. *snicker, snark, snort*

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, The Rapture.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars was for point defense against ballistic missiles. It'd have no chance of ever denting an asteroid or comet.

Now, if earth were attacked by the Death Star...

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I believe he did.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

eros- You stole my answer.

Lyrhawn- Was that what it was for? I just remember it didn't turn out. At all.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, a miniature black hole passing through the Earth could do us all in. We have observed holes as small as pluto in the past and they are hard to detect.

And I want to see a Death Star built by humans. Or even better a Dysons Sphere.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You never will.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Which one? A Dysons Sphere or a big bad planet desroying space station?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Either. Both.

There is no way that humans will be able to build either of those within the next 100 years.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Are there enough building materials in the solar system to build a Dyson sphere at earth orbit? It would require something like 2.81497*10^29 cubic meters of material if the shell of the sphere averaged one meter thick. That would need something like 1.65197*10^15 earths' worth of material.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Hmm, true. But I can always hope that Humanity will eventually build a Dysons Sphere around our star within the the next 700 or at least the next 1000.

And a Dysons Sphere is a giant structure around a star or a collection of satalites surounding one.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Ummmm, 700 to 1000 years? Try about 5 to 7000 years.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Hmm, lets hope for a goal of 3000 at the most.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
<marks datebook for project deadline>
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Well, the Enderverse ahd spread to a hundred worlds in only 3000 years. So that might provide enough materials for its construction. And if Ender could do it, so can we. (minus the faster than light communication)

Edit: oops

Reticulum
Member # 8776

It's actually 3000 years.

*suffles feeet*

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Reticulum, your 1000th post!

Mazel Tov.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Which would you rather see Reticulum. A Dyson's Sphere or a Death Star? Or a combination of both?
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
The only danger to the human race is global warming. We should start to counter it now by sending the world into nuclear winter to balance things out.

*edited because i forgot how to spell to

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
A dyson swarm is, of the massively unlikely ideas, the most likely.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Mazel Tov! I would rather see a Dyson sphere, which I believe ranks as a type II on the Kardashev Scale.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

quote:
Originally posted by String:
The only danger to the human race is global warming. We should start to counter it now by sending the world into nuclear winter to balance things out.

*edited because i forgot how to spell to

Umm, you do know that would kill almost all Earthly life. Right? [Confused]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.