FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grr!

Author Topic: Grr!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so my girlfriend has this job. And this morning, two minutes after she's left to catch the train, I get a call from her boss (incidentally getting me out of my nice warm bed, which was very cozy) who tells me 'She doesn't have to come in today, or tomorrow'. So the question is, should I have used a past tense in 'has this job'?

If not, how should we respond to this? It does seem to me that less than an hour's warning is really quite rude. If it's just once, well, we might live with it. But if this is going to be a regular occurrence, it could swiftly become a major annoyance, indeed. On the other hand, it's a rather new job, and it pays fairly well. How can we make it clear that this is really not on, without stepping over a line and getting fired?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
First -- answer these two questions:

Is this an "on-call" position?

Is California an "at-will" employment state?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What is the job may I ask and tell her congrats on getting a job that pays well. The best I could hope for is minimum wage.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not on-call, no - there was a written schedule for this week. California is at-will.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I would start with a friendly chat - does he know how long it takes to get to work on the train? He might've figured timing was such that he'd catch her well before she left.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if it's an "at-will" state, that's poor form, and I do think she should politely talk to him. I have never had an employer who would give so little notice on a shift cancellation.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually get an hour or so notice before a shift is cancelled, but I don't think they put as much consideration into whether or not the lowest paid person at the restaurant is inconvieienced or not.

Still, they usually give me the option of coming in to do some other work, or least offer to make me a sandwich or something when I get to my next shift. It's not bad.

However, in the professional business world, if that is where your girlfriend works KoM, that is very poor form indeed. She might start off by asking other employees if they have gone through the same thing. That might give her some information without having to suffer through a confrontation so soon after first getting the job, then you can decide how to proceed from there.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
All of these suggestions assume that I'll get to go to work again, at all! For reasons that continue to mystify me, I generally can't hold down a job. Six months is a record for me; less than six days is more typical. So at the slightest sign of "we don't need you", you can imagine my paranoia.

As it is, technically, I'm still scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, and for other days through the middle of March, but that schedule was made by a senior coworker semi-independent of my boss.

Lyrhawn, I like your remark. Whatever my boss thinks he's doing, you're right, it is poor form. (by the way, I don't know if I'd call this job something in "the professional business world", since it's hourly robotic work, but it is in an office) Also, as far as form goes, last week, I was told I'd only have to work a half-shift on President's Day because the boss figured things would be slow. As I began to head for the office exit, the boss called out, "Hey, can you work a few more hours?" I swear to G-d I thought he was being sarcastic, but no. And so instead of getting out at 2pm, I got out at 6. (it didn't trouble me that much, but I guess this is indicative of someone who takes a lax attitude toward my time) (and I guess the fact that I worked those extra hours is indicative of someone who desperately wants to hold down a job, regardless of how bad it is so long as it remains steady)

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Federal law says they have to pay you at least three of those hours, unless you agree to not some in. If you are scheduled, and it has been posted, that is....

I guess I would just say something, politely, this time, but if it becomes a regular issue I would make a bit of a stink. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it seems (Upon further review) that most of those things are goverened by the States, not the Federal gov.....got it mixed up a bit. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I got that a lot too when I worked at a restaurant. It was even worse because I would get dressed up for work, show up, and be told to go home.

Frankly, I needed the money so I didn't complain. However, I did realize I couldn't count on that job for predictable hours so I found myself a second job which was great about scheduling and made that job my priority.

Suggestion: I don't see how she could get fired from having a discussion with her boss about future scheduling. Even if he's not willing to change his methods (and yes, I find that inconsiderate), she'll get a better idea of how the company is run and proceed accordingly. Good luck.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.