FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Introduction of a Harpy (or Hello #8)

Author Topic: The Introduction of a Harpy (or Hello #8)
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
JennaDean has begun the introduction thread frenzy.

I'm not yet an established Hatracker, so it's not too late for me to post one of these threads, right? Besides, they're kind of fun.

One of your regulars, erosomniac, is my best friend. We met eight years ago when he was a Backstreet Boy for the middle school pops assembly and I sang "If We Hold On Together." Then the next year we were both in our school's production of The Music Man. I have pictures somewhere; I should post them. Anyway. That's how we started.

We're both pretty big nerds, and when he insisted that his forum was better than mine, I had to come over to check it out. My join date's misleading. I mostly lurked for the first five months and only began frequenting this place recently. He was right--his forum actually is better than mine. (Hopefully he won't notice that I said that. I tend to only grudgingly admit when he wins.)

Let's see. I was born in Okinawa and raised in Hawaii, and I currently attend college in Northern California. Next spring I will graduate with a B.A. in philosophy, a B.S. in economics, and a religious studies minor. Of those three, I'm definitely the most passionate about philosophy, and I focus on ethics and logic. Don't get me wrong, metaphysics and epistemology and the rest are fascinating, but I've always been drawn to more applicable fields. I hold a part-time on-campus job as an accounting assistant, which is weird because I have absolutely no experience in accounting. I just like numbers.

My musical hobbies include but are not limited to Okinawan dance, shamisen, koto, timpani, and snare drum.

Random facts about me:
  • My television is my least favorite possession.
  • I know, by heart, the entire Wicked soundtrack, but I've never seen the musical and I hated the book.
  • I like the Aristotelian model of friendship, and I'm always looking for a phronimos.
  • Despite my fantastic ego, I'm actually quite self-conscious.
  • I don't seem lazy, but I really really am.
  • I think parenthetically.

I'll answer any questions you might have. [Smile]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that I've wondered about--in some thread or another you indicated that you were 16, but your life experiences don't match up with that at all, unless you're a child prodigy whose parents forced her into a fast-track that involved being in middle school at age 8. I expect that I must just have you crossed with someone else, or have misread the post where you were talking about your age, but I'm curious--how old are you?

[Edit--welcome, by the way! You're definitely a perfect fit for Hatrack. What was the other forum, if you don't mind my asking?]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I'm twenty, but I get mistaken for younger all the time. I probably look about sixteen.

And I'm hesitant to admit this because I'm scared people are going to judge me for it, but the other forum is loosely tied to Tatsuya Ishida's webcomic (though we hardly talk about the comic). It's called Sinfest. So, yeah. It's pretty much the exact opposite of Hatrack.

And thanks, Noemon.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
Celaeno, welcome. With your philosophy/logic background, do you have any experience in probability calculus and symbolic logic? If so, perhaps you would not mind weighing in on this Hatrack Thread. Some of the symbolic logic arguments used in the debate are beyond me, and I would be interested in seeing another point of view (even if it refutes the argument I have been feebly trying to defend).
Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I sang "If We Hold On Together."
From The land Before Time?! I LOVE that song! and that movie!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Celaeno, that's quite the background you have going on there. Cool!

Welcome to HatCrack!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome (I'm trying to see how it feels to think parenthetically) Celaeno.

I saw Wicked on Broadway. (It was swell, I'm thinking.) I liked the book, but I'm a bookworm, and like all kinds of books. (This parenthetical thinking isn't as easy as it looks. I wonder how Celaeno manages it all the time.)

(hmmm)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Cracken Von Poopenhoffen
Member # 9170

- posted      Profile for Dr. Cracken Von Poopenhoffen   Email Dr. Cracken Von Poopenhoffen         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Caelano. I predict you will have a long and healthy life on HatCrack.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days, either Celaeno or I will post one of our IM logs and you'll see beyond parenthetical thinking: parenthetical HIVE MIND ACTION!

"Welcome" seems so wrong. Hi!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

David: I checked it out, and I've only studied informal logic not formal. Sorry, I can't help you with the symbolic stuff. When I have more time I'll take a better look and see what I can make of it though. I'm always up for a challenge.

Tinros: It was my first favorite movie when I was a kid. [Smile]

Tante: I'm a bookworm too, and I like all types of books, too. I even liked Maguire's writing style and the first half of the book had me intrigued. I just felt like he dropped the ball on the second half. Once he had to make his story match the Wizard of Oz story we all know, it seemed stretched.

Dr. von Poopenhoffen: You're probably right.

erosomniac: But which logs can we post that won't incriminate us in one way or another? My favorite quotation from you is "When we're at the pearly gates God just has to hold up our IM logs and we'll hang our heads in shame and walk to the elevator to hell."

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity (not any bias), have you read any of OSC's books?

And "welcome" doesn't feel right from me either. I'm more a lurker.
But NorCal! So Hi, from me. Until we have our mini-con and then it's in person, and we're real.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Oh yes. I've read all the books in both the Ender and Shadow series many many times. I loved Enchantment; in fact, I just reread it over winter break. I own Rebekah, but it's still sitting in my incredibly large pile of books to get to soon.

I've been meaning to get into others, but they might have to wait until the summer. Unfortunately, I hardly have any time to read these days.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.