FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 (thank you for not writing like that OSC!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 (thank you for not writing like that OSC!)
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Alex,
His style might not work for you, but Ray Bradbury is an undisputed master of his craft with an amazing amount of good stuff to offer. You could do much worse than to try to develop a taste for that type of style.

My advice is to give it a couple of years and try again. If that doesn't work, there's always Asimov, who is just about the mirror opposite of Bradbury in terms of style.

----

I'm a big fan of 451, not just for the story, but because I think it's really the most realistic of the dystopias I've read. Most of the things that Bradbury describes exist in a somewhat toned down form in our culture.

The version I have now also has a really great afterword about censorship and the whiny populist anti-elitism that is credited with driving the censorship in 451 that I absolutely love.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Asimov's style is different than Bradbury's, but their ideas have enough similarities in some reader's minds for Asimov to be the author second-most mistaken for Bradbury right after Vonnegut!
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
If people are mistaking Asimov and Bradbury and Vonnegut for each other... Just -- jesus.

I don't know what.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously. I could see people confusing OSC for Asimov (or vice versa) MUCH more easily than Bradbury. Especially if we are talking about novels.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.