FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Idol (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: American Idol
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone on the East Coast catch it tonight, I missed it and am dying to know...

edit...my husband (who is away on business) just called and he told me who is gone...can't believe it! [Eek!]

[ May 10, 2006, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
He couldn't believe it, either!
I think someone was knocked down a peg tonight.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww! I wanted to see Chris at least in the final episode.

I really don't like Taylor, and it's becoming apparent the rest of America does.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked. I literally had my hand over my mouth until the show finished. Dial Idol predicted he'd be in the bottom 2, but I NEVER suspected he would go home. I really was rooting for him to make it to the finals.

Also, do we know next week's theme?

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*growls* *wanted Katharine to be gone instead of Chris*
The US is out of their MIND.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris is the real American Idol....
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that was a bit of a shocker. I really did not expect him to go. I figured it would be Katharine or Elliot. I guess I just don't get the Elliot thing. I know the judges love him but I never am excited to see his performances. It has nothing to do with his singing. I just never smile when I see him. I don't have this urge to want him to succeed like I did with the others. I have been a Taylor fan for a long time and I really am intrigued by Katharine even if she didn't blow me away this week so I guess that I would be happy with that finale. Overall, this season I have liked a lot of the singers but just haven't had one stand out for me that I rooted for week after week as I did for Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken. I think I also saw a phenomenal singer in Fantasia it just wasn't my type of music. Last season I was luke warm on everyone. I am impressed though by the variety of talent that has succeeded in the AI format.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Chris is the real American Idol...."

Nah, Mandisa was the real talent. I didn't really care much after she was voted off.

Katharine should have gone, based on last night;s performance, but Chris really was the strongest of those left.

Whoever wins now will not be "big" like some of the others, but will sort of fade away like poor Fantasia. Just my prediction.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, I think Chris WILL make it big, and will be better off not being in the top two. In many ways, it stifles a person;s career as much as it enhances it. Chris can go do his alt rock thing, and he willdo well with the publicity.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the club that doesn't get the obsession with Taylor. Everyone else just seems to adore him! I wanted Chris and Katharine to be in the finals...so much for that! [Cry]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think someone was knocked down a peg tonight
And is it wrong that I get a little bit of joy out of that? Chris always seemed cocky and obnoxious. As a singer he had the performance appeal, but was never consistent and usually very flat. He oversings, thrashing his voice. If he does make it big, he might last 2 or 3 years as a touring act before he ruins his instrument. Or, I suppose he could change his style and hope people like the fact that he sounds like Steven Tyler. [Wink] My 2 cents.

That said, I'm surprised he was voted off as well, just because the trend has been to like him no matter what he does wrong. I have a funny feeling that Taylor might just win this thing, which will be rather subversive and unprecedented. It also makes me think that Idol has shifted to an older demographic (or at least the voters are a bit older than they've been). I think that's cool and I'm interested to see how it affects the next seasons. If I watch.

I don't know, I'm invested in this particular group for some reason. I haven't watched another season of AI since the first season and I may never watch another one. I really liked this group of people and it's been fun to see them as friends and performers.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That said, I'm surprised he was voted off as well, just because the trend has been to like him no matter what he does wrong. I have a funny feeling that Taylor might just win this thing, which will be rather subversive and unprecedented.
I have to admit that a large part of the reason I want Taylor to win is that Simon dissed him quite severely in his audition.

I do think he's the best performer left, but I'd be more likely to buy a CD by Chris than anyone else in the top 12.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else think that the way Ryan told Chris he was leaving was even worse than his usual dramatic Wednesday Night torture?

Everyone thinks he's going to drag it out, instead, just as we're catching our breath for who the bottom two are, he just blurts out "Chris, you're going home." No preamble, no dragging it out.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chris's exit interview. He looked pretty shocked to be going home, and truth is, I have to hope it was a squeaker, because Kat deserved to be the one to go. I like to think she just barely edged him out.

I'm now kinda hoping the finals will be Elliot and Taylor. I don't love Elliot (not my type of music), but I read this article: http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_27265646.shtml and came to the conclusion that the author is right as long as Elliot's performances continue to impress. He's allowed the stylists to really work him over...growing his hair longer and wearing those big chunky ties has given him a more funky, hip look than I would have thought possible, given his early Uncle Fester looks. Moreover, he comes across as a genuinely nice person who is just doing his thing. As with Melissa McGhee, only more subtly, I have to think that the producers of AI have been working against Elliot all along. And his determination to excel has kept him in far longer than they wanted or expected.

Elliot has really grown through the competition. I wonder what he will be as he continues to hone his craft. I appreciate that when the pressure is on, he brings it. Kat is crumpling under the pressure, which is unfortunate. Would that she had Paris's moxie.

All of that said, if Taylor doesn't win it by a landslide, I'll be shocked.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

I am probably way off but here are my predictions:

If Taylor sails through to the finals, which is highly likely as he will probably gain a lot of Chris voters, that will leave the decision between Elliot and Katharine, which will depend on performance.

If Elliot, wins, the finals will be legitimately interesting because they both have great voices, different styles, and huge adoring fan bases. And I do agree that Elliot has been downplayed--he is certainly an underdog, but Americans LOVE rooting for the little guy.

If Katherine wins, I think a good number of Elliot voters will go to Taylor to see a guy win, or because they like the male voice, and because Katharine's overall performance in the show has been more inconsistent and Taylor will easily win, especially if he varies between calm and smooth.

Also, did any of you visit Vote for the Worst? There is a HUGE article detailing precisely how Kellie Pickler is a complete liar and fake. An interestng read if you have the urge to procrastinate as much as I do.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I figured that Elvis was going to be good for Taylor, bad for Kat. I'm surprised it was Chris, but betting that it's going to be Kat next week.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I really thought it would be Kat and Chris in the final.

katherine can easily win now if she doesn't sing as badly as she did last week.

She fits the traditional Idol winner mold. So the people who vote, will vote for her. I don't see either Elliot or Taylor being able to beat her in head to head competition unless she blows it.

Of course Taylor hasn't been in the bottom yet.

I heard a rumor that Fuel has already offered Chris the role as lead singer. the rumour says Fuel's singer is quiting and going to rehab.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have rather seen Katherine go last night, but it's fine with me that Chris is gone instead. I don't know - there was just something about his attitude that was beginning to bother me, like he felt entitled or something.

I'd like to see a Taylor/Elliot final. That way, I'd be fine with it whoever wins.

Something else - and this is a bit of a rant. I keep hearing people (not so much here, but on tv and stuff) calling Elliot "funny looking" - I just heard one commentator on MSNBC call him that a few minutes ago, in fact. Okay, maybe he isn't the most classically handsome man in the world. But, you know, it isn't like he's ugly or anything. Not saying this because his looks do anything for me, either, because they don't - he isn't really my type at all. Maybe it's just that I've about had it up to here with this media obsession with "beauty", male and female, and the attempted marginalization of anyone who doesn't fit the look that the media has decided is "attractive". End rant.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I heard a rumor that Fuel has already offered Chris the role as lead singer. the rumour says Fuel's singer is quiting and going to rehab.

That would be a great fit. I'd be surprised if it happened though.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard a rumor that Fuel has already offered Chris the role as lead singer. The rumor says Fuel's singer is quitting and going to rehab.
I've read this all over, and it seems to be verified by many people: Ryan Seacrest, Randy Johnson, the television show Extra, and so forth. I don't know if these sources are legit, but I've heard it from enough places that I'm starting to think it might be based in truth.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
Something else - and this is a bit of a rant. I keep hearing people (not so much here, but on tv and stuff) calling Elliot "funny looking" - I just heard one commentator on MSNBC call him that a few minutes ago, in fact. Okay, maybe he isn't the most classically handsome man in the world. But, you know, it isn't like he's ugly or anything. Not saying this because his looks do anything for me, either, because they don't - he isn't really my type at all. Maybe it's just that I've about had it up to here with this media obsession with "beauty", male and female, and the attempted marginalization of anyone who doesn't fit the look that the media has decided is "attractive". End rant.

Well, he is a little funny looking.

Am I the only one who thinks he looks just like Mr. Tumnus, the Faun from Chronicles of Narnia.

Sorry I couldn't help it, I aggree with the whole media trying to make everyone fit into a certain mold of what's attractive thing.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Elliot did sing the best cover of Knocks me off the Feet EVER though.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, CNN Confirmed that Fuel has offered Chris the job. He just hasn't decided if that is the direction he wants to go yet.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Legally, he can't sign anything until the Idol tour is over this summer. This is the part where the contestants start to say "Damn American Idol!!" [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Is is just me, or does it seem like the judges are trying to sabotage Katherine? I thought her last number was dynamite (much more listenable than TAYLOR'S!!) and they torpedoed her again. [Frown] It's like they want her to be the next to go for sure.

I'm not sure who should go next, I know it will probably be Katherine or Elliot, but I'm digging all three. I just don't think Taylor is as good as the judges say he is. He can do no wrong in their eyes and it bugs.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed half of it because I was at the vet with the dog, but from the one song I saw of Elliot, and two of the other two, I think he's probably the one to go. I didn't like Katherine's "somewhere over the rainbow" Taylor did ok on "you are so beautiful" but that is one of my favorite songs ever.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Is is just me, or does it seem like the judges are trying to sabotage Katherine?

That's interesting...I thought it seemed like Simon, especially, was trying to promote Katherine last night. And he came right out and told Elliot that he would be gone come tonight. And I imagine he will be, but I really wish it would be Katherine instead. I just don't think she's that good.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

I agree with littlemissattitude. Both Coatesie and I felt that the judges were trying to promote Katherine. Not like Elliot did spectacular, but he was about at the same level as Katherine and they received wildly different responses.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

quote:
didn't like Katherine's "somewhere over the rainbow"
Really? I thought it was so pretty it gave me goosebumps. It was vulnerable and simple, which is why I liked it so much. It made her other two songs sound overly decorated.

Did anyone else think that Clive Davis's song choices were a little weak this year? I hate the song Open Arms. It was overplayed in my teen years and for me has become the ultimate overly sappy love song. I appreciated parts of Taylor's Dancing in the Dark but I thought it illustrated that Taylor is no Bruce Springsteen.

Mostly it was a good episode, but the highlight for me was Over the Rainbow.

I can't guess who is going. Just not Taylor.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with you jeniwren.

I can't imagine what tonight will bring.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Well, jeniwren, neither can dialidol.

Katherine and Elliot are pretty much tied. It's going to be a tense results show, that's for sure.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am just so bored by all three. I am still ticked about Mandisa, I guess.

Katharine's song(Rainbow-hate it anyway) the best song ever sung on Idol? Good Heavens, Simon, did you have some of Paula's juice?

Ah, well, the only good thing was this:

Me to my daughter: That Katherine reminds me of someone. Not someone famous, someone I know.

My daughter: Your tall friend who came to Rhythm and Roots with us. (Myr)

Yup, that was it!

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

She'd be better if she'd STOP WITH THE DARN CELINE DION vocal things! I mean it! It annoys me.
That woman strains her voice and lacks subtlety. She's not singing a darn rock and roll song crying with misery and pain BUT LOVE SONGS. So she must screach and scream and I hate it.
But, at least she sang this one song that prince wrote really well. Katharine was best when singing subtle and soft and not trying to get all loud and screamy.
Not every song requires that!

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

I agree with you too Synthesia, I was thinking of Katherine as more Mariah Carey in terms of trying to hit every single note in her range--argh! However, I did think Rainbow was the best I've heard her sing yet (other than the Black Horse and Cherry Tree song)
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Taylor was wonderful with Dancing in the Dark, it really suited him.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Who got voted off?
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Elliot
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

awww, actually I would have said that for any of them.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Was anyone else surprised that Taylor's (likely the highest percentage) was so close to the other two? I was.
Narnia
Member # 1071

This has been the oddest season. It started out with so much talent and we end with Taylor and Katherine. Not that they're not talented, but I just don't think they're up there with Mandisa, Paris, or even *gulp* Chris. Katherine has been a favorite of mine all along, but I just don't think she's been consistent enough to deserve a spot in the top two.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, don't hate me, but I have to do this: Katharine There's an "a" in the middle, not an "e".

I want her to win so there's another Katharine out there. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised that they were so close in totals too. I really thought Taylor was a sure thing and that Katharine and Elliot would be battling it out. It all comes down to now where Elliot's votes go. I think this is going to be closer than it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if Elliot voters are a bit hostile towards Taylor as he seems to get by on a lot of personality and Elliot's biggest downfall was not having a lot of spunk. I think this one will be closer than I originally anticipated.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Kat, how could we hate you for being a Katharine with an A? It's far more alluring with an A, after all...just as it is far more alluring with a K than with a C. [Wink] Pity me for being a plain old (and ubiquitous) Jennifer.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Oh, don't hate me, but I have to do this: Katharine There's an "a" in the middle, not an "e".

I want her to win so there's another Katharine out there. [Smile]

Ha ha! I noticed I had written it both ways, and thought, well, I'll leave it that way. One is a typo, the other is the correct spelling. If your name has an "e," choose the one with an "e" as the correct one.

Jeepers, Kat, of COURSE the one spelled with an "e" was the typo!

Kristen
Member # 9200

I haven't been able to get through with voting for weeks. And I tried for 2 hours. Makes me wonder since the percentages are so close that it's a matter of luck: what Katharine fans got through and what Elliot fans didn't.

I have been rooting for Taylor since his audition, so this would be the third season (out of 3 I've watched) where I have predicted someone in the finals from the beginning of the season.

And where was Ah-nold? Everybody else got a governor!

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Kristen, I'm betting that you can keep trying to vote well after your alotted two hours. I usually don't start voting until about half an hour to an hour after the show ends (I'm on the west coast) and generally get through about 60% of the time. Try it anyway and see if it works to try after your two hours are over. Being as you're on central time (aren't you?), you may have a few more hours if you don't mind staying up that late.

That's just a guess, though. I've not thought of trying to vote while the show is still on. I have company on Tuesday nights, and watch on DVR after they leave (which is just about when the show is over).

Kristen
Member # 9200

Jeni: I did! My last attempt was at 12:45am. Maybe I am just unlucky, alas.
Julia
Member # 9244

- posted      Profile for Julia   Email Julia         Edit/Delete Post 
anyone else feel like they are controlling the show with their every wish and whim? I don't even have to vote anymore. It's crazy.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Simon in an interview today say Taylor would win because he's from the south, and the south will get behind him and catapult him to victory.

Isn't it kinda funny that three Birmingham area natives have been in the finals? Ruben, Bo, and Taylor. I was born and have spent most my life in Bham and never considered it really a hotbed of musical talent. Weird.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet Home Alabama... but those guys were from Florida.

[ May 19, 2006, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Krankykat ]

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing all the finalists again made it glaringly obvious to me that Taylor should not have won. Ah well.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.