FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » USA Olympic basketball

Author Topic: USA Olympic basketball
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
made a big mistake

I don't understand why they wouldn't let Iverson on the team. According to the stats, he's the 2nd best scorer and around the 5th best passer in the NBA. One of the best players in the league right now. Doesn't America want to make up for it's embarrassing finishes in the Olympics and the international Basketball Championships? They could still probably win both without him, but he could be a huge help for Team USA. Not sure how many basketball fans there are here, but I thought I'd mention it. If Team USA has even a drop of chemistry, they'll probably kick a** at the tournaments, with all of the amazing talent they have now.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Take the Pistons starting five, and then round out the rest of the team with NBA talent.

The world wouldn't stand a chance.

At least they have Billups on the list, that'll help.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Heh. Not a bad idea. But I think putting enough talent on the team that every player on the court needs to be double-teamed to be stopped would be better. I think Kobe, Lebron, and Wade will make an incredible combo with two unselfish players and good passers, three incredible scorers, and three incredible defenders. Can't stop that.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Kobe isn't a good team player in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player all around, in the sense that he is very talented. But the next Olympic team needs chemistry. They need to be able to pass and play off each other's strengths and make the plays as Team USA, not as NBA Superstar Guy. I don't think Kobe has that in him.

Lebron and Wade certainly do, I think the two of them should automatically be on the team.

My biggest point in suggesting the Pistons is that the starting five have some incredible team chemistry. They've been playing that line for years, and it's taken them to the championships twice in two years, once with a victory, and now has them with the best record in the NBA and in team history. They have confidence without being overconfident also.

Chemistry is what we were missing two years ago, and it's what killed us in the end. You said it yourself in your first post, and you were right.

Either take the Pistons starting five, or remove the Olympic players from their teams for a month so they can practice together. Otherwise you'll never get the kind of team cohesiveness that is necessary.

PS. Look at the Swedes. They won the gold medal, and five of their best players are all on the Red Wings. Two lessons to be learned there. 1. Team cohesiveness is key. 2. Detroit is where gold medals are born [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Binger
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for Binger   Email Binger         Edit/Delete Post 
Chemistry is the reason they're putting the team together now, isn't it? Do you not think it will work, starting them playing together two years early?

After all, they will get some experience together at the World Championships.

I would have liked to see Iverson on the team. He actually cared about the Olympics in Athens, and he wants another shot at a gold medal.

Also, why Luke Ridnour?

(Hurray first post! I finally did it.)

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Do you think AI shouldn't be on the team because he's not a team player? I thought his assists-per-game average showed that he is a very good passer in addition to being an excellent scorer. The only reason I can think of is that he probably doesn't have the best attitude and America probably doesn't want someone like him representing them.

I think Kobe would work very well as a huge offensive spark coming off the bench, or just the main scorer in the starting lineup. You don't need all 5 guys to be great passers. You need one person to finish.

Edit: Welcome Binger. Luke Ridnour is a great passer, and they could use that with a huge surplus of great scorers. If I read the article correctly, some players will be cut. Luke might be among those. A great passer, but his overall talent might not be enough to make the cut. I hope he does, though.

Ender12
Member # 8873

- posted      Profile for Ender12   Email Ender12         Edit/Delete Post 
whos on the roster?
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Binger
Member # 9213

quote:
The only reason I can think of is that he probably doesn't have the best attitude and America probably doesn't want someone like him representing them.
Wasn't he a great representative in Athens, though? I think he's been working on improving his image lately, too.

I still think choosing Ridnour to try out is silly. Allen Iverson has a higher assist average than Ridnour, as do Baron Davis and Andre Miller. Iverson, Davis, and Miller are better scorers and rebounders as well.

Unless those guys just aren't interested - and we know Iverson is - I have to wonder about that choice.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, take out all the NBA players and turn the team over to amateurs. It's a game, not life-or-death.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I think putting enough talent on the team that every player on the court needs to be double-teamed to be stopped would be better.
That's what they did for the last olympics, and they got embarassed. Terrible idea.

quote:
I think Kobe, Lebron, and Wade will make an incredible combo with two unselfish players and good passers, three incredible scorers, and three incredible defenders. Can't stop that.
I count 0.5 unselfish players, one good passer, one good defender, and three incredible scorers.

Kobe hasn't defended so much as a waterboy this year, and LeBron and Wade seem incapable of playing solid on the ball defense. All three jump the passing lanes and gamble for steals, which pad the stats and can look like good defense to the inexperienced eye, but really hurts the team by leaving the big men unprotected and prone to picking up early fouls.

AI wasn't included because his style doesn't do well in the international game, but more importantly because he'll be 32 by the time the games come around. He takes a pounding, and no one knows how much of his quickness he'll retain at that point. A lot of veterans were left off the list for that same reason; too old, too beat up.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Allen Iverson has a higher assist average than Ridnour, as do Baron Davis and Andre Miller.
Oh dear lord. I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this pass. Do not look at assists per game as the end all stat for a point guard. Baron Davis and AI dominate the ball. That, as much as their ability to penetrate is responsible for their assists. Andre Miller is about the 12th best point guard in the NBA. The hope is that Ridnour will continue to mature so that by the time the games come around he'll be a good point guard who plays the right way. Chris Paul already plays the right way, which is why he's the only rookie on the list. I predict he'll be the starting point guard come gametime.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Binger
Member # 9213

quote:
Baron Davis and AI dominate the ball. That, as much as their ability to penetrate is responsible for their assists.
There's another guy on that roster who dominates the ball and has great penetration ability, too, without the assist numbers - Kobe. 32 or not, I'll take Iverson on my Olympic team over Kobe any day.

And no, I don't especially desire to see Miller or Davis on the team. I just feel like there was a better choice than Ridnour out there somewhere.

Or maybe I just don't know enough about the guy. [Wink]

In any case, I hope Ridnour - and the team - do well. I am glad we aren't going the "throw all the superstars together" route.

Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
AI wasn't included because his style doesn't do well in the international game, but more importantly because he'll be 32 by the time the games come around. He takes a pounding, and no one knows how much of his quickness he'll retain at that point. A lot of veterans were left off the list for that same reason; too old, too beat up.

I beg to differ. AI was possibly the only player at the 2004 olympics who looked comfortable in the international game. He has a lot of heart, and even without much of a quickness you're looking at a guy who can shoot better than ridnour, defend better than ridnour and have alot more experience playing international basketball.

I'd have him leading the team, even if you give most of the minutes to Chris Paul. It seems silly to drop him now

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

JT, who would be your starting five and substitutes?
Binger
Member # 9213

I have just discovered, with much horror, that my username (which is pronounced with a hard 'g' in my head) could be pronounced with a soft 'g' as if it meant 'one who binges.'

Dictionary.com says it is also slang for a crack addict. [Embarrassed]

I'm going to re-register now; feel free to laugh.

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs*
Hi, Binger. Don't change it, it's fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Binger
Member # 9213

As long as we're all clear on the fact that I am neither one who binges nor a crack addict.

It's definitely a hard 'g.'

*sigh* After three years of lurking, not the start I was hoping for.

Ah well. I can handle it. [Smile]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You're here : you're a Hatcrack addict.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I agree that AI was the best player and hardest competitor on the 2004 team, and I agree that there are better choices than Ridnour. I wouldn't have a problem with him being on the team, but I can easily defend him being left off. I'm lukewarm on Kobe, as well, because of his ballhogging nature and ego. But he's an outstanding penetrator, competitor, and scorer and since Jordan retired there's no one better at hitting big shots.

My starting five would be young, athletic, and coachable.

PG - Chris Paul (facilitator, defense)
SG - Kobe (scorer, leader, defense)
SF - Shawn Marion (rebounder, defense, slasher)
PF - Chris Bosh (rebounder, scorer, shot blocker)
C - Dwight Howard (rebounder, defense)

2nd Unit
PG - Jason Terry (defense, penetrator, shooter)
SG - Dwayne Wade (slasher, rebounder, finisher)
SF - Al Harrington (rebounder, scorer)
PF - Amare Stoudamire (rebounder, finisher)
C - possibly a young kid, like Bynum, or an out of position PF like Duncan (who would be the 1st team C)

Bench:
G - Gilbert Arenas or Andre Iguodala
F - Boozer or Shane Battier.

----------

I tried to avoid major egos (beyond Kobe and maybe Arenas) and poor defenders (sorry LeBron; I'd have to find him a spot if I were in charge, but in what-if land I'm ditching him) and coach killers (Marbury, Francis). I avoided anyone who'll be mid 30s because who knows how much gas they'll have in the tank (KG, Shaq, Elton Brand, Ray Allen). The one thing I don't have that I need is a pure shooter or two. Guys who are deadly from midrange, who can combat the extensive zones they use in international play. But this is off the top of my head, so that's an easy fix.

Paul at the point is a stretch, but I'm in love with the way he plays; hard and fast. Center is tough to call because there are precious few good ones, and they're all old or foreigners. Fortunately this is a problem for every country and centers don't dominate the way they used to. A big PF would do fine. I loaded up on guys who will attack the glass, play man up defense, and run and get garbage buckets. I have two world class scorers in Kobe and Wade, two good defenders at PG, and a bunch of post players who can run and jump. But more than anything they need to play together enough to really become a team. If they do that they should roll to the gold.

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
What had you had in mind for your start?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Binger
Member # 9213

aiua -

Well, I came up with a username fairly quickly (Binger originally comes from the initials of a girl I liked, but has since come to be a personal neologism-type thing - I like to make up words.) Anyway, I never once realized the word could be read that way until I saw my second post. Oh, embarrassment.

I'm not actually disappointed in anything, though. I'm just glad that I actually managed to click the Add Reply button.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It could also mean "something that goes 'bing!'"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh dear lord. I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this pass. Do not look at assists per game as the end all stat for a point guard. Baron Davis and AI dominate the ball. That, as much as their ability to penetrate is responsible for their assists.
It may not be the end all stat, but it probably is the most important positive stat for any point guard - with turnovers being the most important negative. Penetration is a useful ability for point guards, but passing and ball control are the truly critical factors... along with intelligence and intuition for the game.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Assist to turnover ratio is the most important stat for point guards, but to really evaluate players only by looking at stats is just plain foolish.

The point guard's primary duty is to bring the ball upcourt and initiate the offense, preferably with a pass. He should also be able to penetrate and either dish or finish if the offense breaks down. He should be able to pressure the opposing point guard to slow down the fast break and disrupt their offense. He should be able to hit the open three.

JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe they left AI off either.
quote:

AI was possibly the only player at the 2004 olympics who looked comfortable in the international game.

I completely agree with that.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

So, the USA seems to be playing great in their first two exhibitons. They beat Puerto Rico pretty bad and now their destroying China. I'm still curious to see what the starting 5 would be when the real games start. I haven't caught the beginning of games, can someone tell me the starting 5 in the exhibitions? How do you all think the USA will do when the championships and Olympics come? By the way they look now, think they'll dominate?
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is that Paul Pierce better make the team. He's the only one who was invited that can actually handle the ball it seems.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lebron and Wade certainly do, I think the two of them should automatically be on the team.
Isn't Wade one of the reasons the US lost last time around.

[quote]I avoided anyone who'll be mid 30s because who knows how much gas they'll have in the tank (KG, Shaq, Elton Brand, Ray Allen). The one thing I don't have that I need is a pure shooter or two.[/i]

The last olympic team lost, in my opinion, because the team didn't have enough hard-boiled veterans. I'd like to send a humorless, determined group to China, with a PG I can trust, like Kobe or Steve Nash, a rebounder like Wallace and a big man who isn't afraid to rough it up.

I'd feel more comfortable sending the forty-five year old '92 dream team than bunch of young slashers.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

"The last olympic team lost, in my opinion, because the team didn't have enough hard-boiled veterans. I'd like to send a humorless, determined group to China, with a PG I can trust, like Kobe or Steve Nash, a rebounder like Wallace and a big man who isn't afraid to rough it up."

Kobe isn't a PG and Steve Nash is Canadian. Though I would love to see Nash play for Team USA. I think USA would break the record for largest margin of victory if Nash played for them. I think Wallace (Ben, right) would help them out, but I think he'd be better coming off the bench. I really like the way Brad Miller plays, even if he isn't the toughest Center. I think he's a graet passer and his 3 point shot gives him a hell of an advantage when playing other big men.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest that the best way to ensure a win is to simply send the NBA champion team for the most recently completed season to the Olympics, coach and all.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered about Nash being Canadian. He is a little older than I am, and I remember when he was at Santa Clara. I always make sure I get him for fantasy leagues, and he never disappoints. I knew he was Canadian, but I figured something was up becuase he didn't play for Canada in the Olympics, then when I read your post, I remembered it was because Canada didn't make it.

I remember watching the Puerto Rico game in 2004, where the US seemed to have all of these incredible athletes who couldn't make a shot or run a play. Puerto Rico had a point guard who seemed to control the game with unerring poise.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
The last olympic team lost, in my opinion, because the team didn't have enough hard-boiled veterans.
The last team lost because it wasn't a team, it was a marketing assemblage. Larry Brown was lost coaching the international game, and Carmelo, LBJ, and Wade were young punks who thought every game was an all star game.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Do you still think those 3 shouldn't play for USA or that none of them should start?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I say take the team that wins the NBA Finals that year and automatically make them Team USA for the Olympics. I was happy to see us get our butts kicked in 2004, we (the US) were not playing a team game, and Eastern Europe showed us over and over why that is a mistake.

On the year where the Olympics take place, have the finals end about 3 weeks before the Olympic games take place, shorten the season if neccesary.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

No, I think they should all be there. Carmelo in particular seems much more mature. He and LeBron should come off of the bench, and Wade should start in Kobe's place. Wade's finals performance sold me on him, and LBJ is the only one of the three who still looks selfish to me (as of the most recent games).
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Did anyone watched the Fiba Americas Championship? Entertaining stuff. Well, if you like watching a bunch of NBA stars crush poor, helpless South American countries in basketball. Which I do. [Big Grin] Seriously, USA is finally back on top, easily winning games and looking unstoppable. About time.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I caught a couple of the games, and was very impressed by the team play of Team USA.

To people who suggested using the NBA Champs to play at the Olympics (an idea that sounds funny but has a lot of promise at the same time)...The 2003 and 2007 NBA Champions were the San Antonio Spurs, they would have been the team to play in 2004 and 2008, if we in fact used such a system. Given that Tony Parker is French, and Manu Ginobili is what, Argentinian? And those are two of the three biggest stars of the team. Seven of the fourteen players are American.

Not saying I don't think it's a good idea, I think it'd probably work if they could get enough of the team to go to the games. Just that it wouldn't have worked so far this decade [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.