FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone else playing Galciv2?

Author Topic: Anyone else playing Galciv2?
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, it's one of the best turn based strategy games I've played. I'm especially loving the ship designer, which is definitely one of the deepest I've ever seen. Is anyone else here playing this?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
My hubby was thinking about that. Could you give a few more details? =)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking on the homepage now. It looks interesting. How is it similar or different then to Civ4?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
I am looking on the homepage now. It looks interesting. How is it similar or different then to Civ4?

As far as similarities go, the games share a lot of the normal rbs conventials. In other words, you have a tech tree, military units, diplomacy, ect. The two games have somewhat similar diplomacy systems, although I think that Galciv does a better job at it.

A lot of differences come from the setting of the game. For one thing, the idea of terrain is pretty much nonexistant in space, and the locations of planets are fixed. As I mentioned before, Galciv2 has an amazingly open ended ship editor. It allows you to really go wild when designing your units.

One of the biggest differences is that Galciv2 has no multiplayer in it. Personally, I think that Galciv2 has a more fun single player experience, but I can certainly see why some people would be a bit turned off.

One other thing I'd like to mention is that they haven't included any DRM or copy protection in the game. In my opinion, this is very much a breath of fresh air after the way some recent games have gone.

Basically, if you have any interest in single player turn based strategy games, I would strongly recommend this game. I've had a lot of fun with it, and it seems quite replayable.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

In case anyone is still interested, Gamespot posted their review.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.