FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ramen Noodles (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ramen Noodles
Maria
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Maria   Email Maria         Edit/Delete Post 
MSG might be a neurotoxin.(google it!) Ramen noodles have high levels of MSG. They are not good for you, and have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the flavor packets have high levels of MSG. I don't think the noodles themselves are guilty of this.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't MSG have addictive properties?

Mmmmm...neurotoxic noodlecrack...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Maria:
Ramen noodles have high levels of MSG. They are not good for you, and have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I don't know, Maria...being delicious is a pretty redeeming quality to me.

Seriously, though, if I'm not mistaken, there is no conclusive evidence that MSG is bad for you. The only reason why cheap Chinese restaurants put big "NO MSG" signs up is that a lot of people are allergic to it. I could be completely wrong on this.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Omit the flavor packet, dose with oluve oil, red wine vinegar, and parmesan cheese.

or, mongolian fire oil, soy sauce, ginger, and frozen veggies.

But I must confess that I haven't eaten ramen since college. Found a dead mealworm in a package, and it kind of put me off them.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Similar things have happened to me, Sterling. It's why I don't eat most vegetables. [Wink]

Edited for notungoodless grammar.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Hi Maria.

When I was on the South Beach Diet for awhile, MSG was forbidden. Isn't it basically a processed something from the sugar beet? (I don't have time to google it sorry but that's what I remember)

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just did that google search, and most of the hits that show up (like the one from the FDA) say something along the lines of "MSG and related substances are safe food ingredients for most people when eaten at customary levels."
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
Similar things have happened to me, Sterling. It's why I don't eat most vegetables. [Wink]

Edited for notungoodless grammar.

Yeah, haven't been able to eat a dead mealworm since. All those noodles- eugh.

[Wink]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Doesn't MSG have addictive properties?

Mmmmm...neurotoxic noodlecrack...

-pH

*snicker*

Good thing I'm keeping away from the evilness that is the neurotoxic noodlecrack.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Like a few others here, I'll eat the noodles raw and crushed most of the time. The other times I actually cook it. Nothing special with it. After all, if I had the money to add little special things into it, why am I eating Ramen?

I have to eat it more or less. Only thing cheap enough to fit in my current budget. BJ's has the boxes of Ramen (36 in a box) going for about 3 bucks.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maria
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Maria   Email Maria         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my teenagers started having memory problems when she was eating a ramen noodle thing a day during the summer, and I eventually got a book on the MSG controversy, and although I'm not totally convinced it's as bad as they make it sound, the book made me wary enough that I avoid things that have high levels of MSG, and certainly don't get them for my kids any more. However much they beg! [Wink]

Lots of stuff has MSG in it, it's almost impossible to completely avoid. It's really just the massive levels in some products that worry me.

And the dead meal worms some of you found in the noodles just indicates to me that the noodle side doesn't have enough nutrition in it to keep a bug alive! [Razz]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it died from a CVA induced by sodium-sensitive hypertension.

Translation: it was the salt.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Was he even sure it was dead, could it have been in a weird molting phase? I used to purposefully keep live mealworms in my fridge.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

The mealworm in question was either entirely dessicated, or had actually been through the noodle-frying process. I'm *quite* sure it was dead.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I'd rather dead than alive. But you know, i don't like living bugs.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
RRR, I prefer rice noodles as well (although my absolute favorite is bean thread noodles). Those Thai Kitchen varieties are hidiously overpriced though. Go to a local Asian grocery store and get some rice noodle based instant soups there, that's my advice. Among my favorites are:

Rice Vermicelli:
Clear Soup (second row, first packet)

Normal-sized Rice Noodles:
Beef Pho, Chicken Pho, and Clear Soup (ie everything on the top row of this page)
Instant Pad Thai (this is what I actually had for dinner last night)

Bean Thread Noodles:
Clear Soup

The $3.50 is for four of those packets, so it's only around 88 cents per packet. I was surprised at the price, too, until I noticed the small print about that being the price for four rather than one. Thanks for the recommendations, though. [Smile] I'll have to go to the store this weekend and see what I can find.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister and her friend found meal worms in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups once...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a better deal than I'd remembered! I'll have to try more of them.

Most of the soups I linked to are around $.40/packet when purchased individually, or significantly cheaper when purchased in bulk.

Hope you like some of them.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the subject of cheap asian foods, Korean snack foods are AWESOME. And they have those really neat plum candies at the store I go to, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The battered fried peas are pretty tasty. I haven't had the plum candies though. You don't happen to remember their name do you?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Since I don't speak or read Korean, no... The English translation just says "Plum Candies". It has pictures of plums and plum blossoms on a white bag, if that helps.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'll see if I can find them next time I'm at the store.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This thread has done it. My late-night craving concoction tonight is: a package of ramen (noodles broken just in half) with about 1 cup of water (half the amount called for) and about a cup of frozen broccoli, with a splash of vinegar (for both flavor and color) in the microwave (covered.) When it's cooked, I'll add some soy sauce, a little Worchestershire (out of Nam Pla), a bit of sugar, and maybe a sprinkle, just a sprinkle, of the spicy seasoning from the packet (that's the flavor on this one: "spicy".) Maybe not. Maybe I'll go with some other flavoring instead.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Sounds good, kq!
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so maybe how you eat ramen noodles doesn't say that much about you. or maybe it does. it may say how much of a health nut you are, or how much money you have, or how lazy or creative you are, or how familiar you are with obscure spices and asian food-stuffs. or maybe not.

i really dig the egg idea, i don't know why i haven't thought of that. next time.

sometimes i'll make 2 bags, drain, add a can of cream of mushroom and a can of tuna and mix well. good god thats yummy.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yuck. [Razz]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since I don't speak or read Korean, no...
I do...or at least I did at one time. I assume you are referring to ja-du candy. I love kwa-ja!!!!

"Kwa-ja" means junk food. In Konglish it is usually used to refer to Korean junk food--which is AWSOME. I miss it. I am a fan of strawberry french pies, choco-pies , and peperos.

My favorite candy is a chocolate ring chip thingy that I can't find a picture of. [Frown]

EDIT: I should point out that "kwa-ja" means junk food like chips, biscuits, and other snack food. It doesn't refer to fast food or any type of junk meal. Hmm...maybe "snack food" is a better translation.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's the stuff! Thanks!

I don't like the choco-pies much, but I'm a big fan of peperos! When I was little I used to trade my fruit snacks for shrimp fries. (Of course, I outgrew my taste for seafood at about age 10, so not a big fan anymore.)

lem
Member # 6914

Two things I never aquired a taste for are rose flavored gum and amy sea food flavored fries. For those who have not had them, we are talking about fungion type chips that are either shrimp, crab, or fish flavored.

Seriously...rose and perfumed flavored gum? Who came up with that idea? [Angst]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, since rose water is a popular ingredient in pastries, sweets, and desserts in several parts of the world, it makes sense to me.

I like rose-flavored candy, personally. And I cook with rose water sometimes, too. But then, I was caught young. [Wink]

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
One month last year I went through a phase of eating raw ramen with smooth peanut butter spread over it. I ate a LOT of ramen that way. I've never craved it since...

Now I tend to either have my ramen bland, with just enough water to cook the noodles, or as more of a soup mixture, with frozen vegis, meatballs, and lots of spices and hot sauce mixed in.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
So people say that your favorite Beatle or Ninja Turtle says a lot about you. So i figure, the way you eat Ramen Noodles may say a lot about you too.
Is there anyone who is qualified to go back and analyze the personalities of those who posted how they eat Raman noodles?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

If anyone is, I'd guess Bob. He does ice cream; perhaps he can do nasty noodles, too.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.