FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Longing for something new to read

Author Topic: Longing for something new to read
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in one of my mainstream fiction moods, and I just don't know what to read. The amount of mainstream fiction that is utter crap astounds me and I can't think of any way of sifting through it all.

So anyone, anyone, tell me something fantastic to read. Modern novels are better (it seems to be that sort of mood), but I'll take anything.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
"Once a Thief" and it's sequel "Always a Thief" by kay Hooper are absolutely incredible. They're REALLY funny. But I can't say anything or I'll give away the big twist. *zips mouth shut*

Mmmph mph, mmmph, pmm mmph. [Wink]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Louise Erdrich's Tracks?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Boys (Orson Scott Card) - I finished reading this one a few days ago...it was excellent! [Big Grin]
Dune (Frank Herbert) - Was referred to read this book. Not far in at all (pg. 19-20?). Heard great things about it, though.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll also second the "Dune"... it really is incredible. It can get a bit tedious at times, xxsockeh, but don'e give up!

Oh wait! my lips are sealed. :X

mmph.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"

I found it insightful and very, very funny.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you read Lamb you also have to read "Fluke: or i know why the winged whale sings"

Also i like " So you want to be a wizard" and the rest of that series

[ March 02, 2006, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Geekazoid99 ]

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Life of Pi
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Carl Hiaasen's books about ridiculously odious Florida dwellers are usually a lot of fun. "Skinny Dip" was one of our favorites. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
None of these are new, but Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, The Chosen by Chaim Potok, and Peace Like a River by Leif Enger were all good reads. (hmmm . . . actually those just came to mind and it wasn't intentional, but all have religious themes. )
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirrored Shades
Member # 8957

- posted      Profile for Mirrored Shades           Edit/Delete Post 
'Lamb' is great. Also, 'Good Omens' if you haven't read it already.

I've been reading W. Somerset Maugham, and am absolutely in love with just about everything he wrote, but he's not exactly modern...

'Gun, with Occasional Music' is my all-purpose recommendation at the moment. It's by Jonathen Lethem, and is a lot of fun. Talking animals, weird drugs, and futuristic detectives, but what's not to love about a gangster kangaroo named Joey?

Posts: 36 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Carl Hiaasen is good fun. Serious and sad: Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini). Romantic and modern: The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger). Strange and shocking: Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides).
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonide, I just read Lamb as well. I enjoyed it immensely. I liked the way I could relate somewhat to Joshua as a human, a person with needs and uncertainties, and desires.

I also enjoy irreverence. And there was plenty of that. However, I suspect that it may be offensive to some people, so be warned.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed "Angle of Repose" by Wallace Stegner. It is seriously good.

Carl Hiaasen is fun and light. Not really serious literature, but diverting.

Pete Hamill's "Snow in August" and David Guterson's "Snow Falling on Cedars" are two books that have nothing in common but snow, but they are both worth reading.

"Inside, Outside" by Herman Wouk was enjoyable. Not serious, but well-written, funny, and diverting.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Lamb (one of my favorites) and Middlesex, and I also enjoyed Life of Pi.

Alex Garland's The Beach is a wonderful novel, far better than the bizarre movie nominally based on it.

And it's not fiction, but Color by Victoria Finlay is a fascinating travelogue/history of pigments.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Sport of the Gods by Paul Dunbar
A Fairly Honorable Defeat by Iris Murdoch

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Try "Blindness", from José Saramago. The story is powerful but disturbing. The Portuguese author is a nobel prize winner. The translation to english is supposedly very good.

Here is a link to Amazon, where you can read full-fledged reviews and comments about it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0156007754/qid=1141379771/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-7502775-6688868?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon
Elinor Lipman's Isabel's Bed (not real heavyweight, but enjoyable)
Dave Barry's Big Trouble
Elmore Leonard's Pagan Babies

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Girls and North by Frederick Busch, in that order.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Trans-Sister Radio
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Grass by Sheri S. Tepper. It is Sci-fi, but it's quite a trip.

My mother swears by anything Tepper writes, but Grass is the only one I've looked at (actually I haven't yet finished it, so don't give anything away if you read it [Wink] ).

And I'll give a whopping second to anything by Dave Barry.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
If you liked the "Da Vinci Code", I am reading "The Templar Legacy" by Steve Barry right now that is seeming to be a fun, fast read.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree with Xaposet and Nell. Life of Pi by Yann Martel is splendid.

If you get it, buy it in the children's section. It's usually about $14, but I stumbled upon a smaller kid's paperback for $7.99.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
I'm in one of my mainstream fiction moods, and I just don't know what to read.

What I don't understand is why people would read this line, and post recommendations for Dune and So You Want To Be A Wizard.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.