FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's the little things

Author Topic: It's the little things
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
that can ruin your mood.

i.e.;

Reaching into the bag of M&Ms, and finding none left,

having a story idea that you have been fleshing out for a while fall apart,

finding out that the really good library book that you just started reading has to be returned, that you can't renew it, and you can't get another copy for another week or so.

Well. At least it's Friday.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
finding out that the really good library book that you just started reading has to be returned, that you can't renew it, and you can't get another copy for another week or so.

Discovering 400 pages into your (library) book that it's missing about 50 pages right there in the middle (this has now happened to me twice).

Putting a spoonful of cold cereal in your mouth only to discover that the remnant of that gallon of milk that expired three weeks ago has finally gone sour.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Taxes, dude, Taxes.
I hate it. The harder I work, the more money I lose... Whereas someone who doesn't need it gets a tax break...

Irratating people trying to ruin something as good as a DIR EN GREY CONCERT. But I won't let them
Oh, no.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Remembering that your cable box is out when seeing so many people get excited for Battlestar Galactica tonight...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Bending down to tie your shoes only to remember your leg is broken
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also the little things that can cheer you up.

Like having a teacher care so much about you and your well being that it drives you to tears. (Happy ones.)

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Hey. You're sun's shining on my gloom here.

[Big Grin]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

[Big Grin] So sorry.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Dang . . . and you can't use Uprooted's technique--just hang on to it and pay later? ;-)

(I know, I know, that's a bad thing to do if someone's on a waiting list for it. I don't think the books I borrow are ever that popular!)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Finding out that you're getting kicked out of the place you were supposed to close on today!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Putting a spoonful of cold cereal in your mouth only to discover that the remnant of that gallon of milk that expired three weeks ago has finally gone sour.
Being a college student, I completely know how this feels. Although, you are a little braver than I am. Three weeks is pushing it.

Realizing that it's colder in MA than in DC, and you forgot to bring a scarf.

But I'm home, so I can't really complain.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

Dang . . . and you can't use Uprooted's technique--just hang on to it and pay later? ;-)

(I know, I know, that's a bad thing to do if someone's on a waiting list for it. I don't think the books I borrow are ever that popular!)

To tell you the truth, I would've been more than willing to "lose" it. It was getting good...

--j_k

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and having your "friends" drink a fifth of your Jack and eat the two pizzas you ordered for them and then ditch you at 10pm because they have something "better" to do, knowing that you are being kicked out of the place you were supposed to have closed on today. [Mad]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Having your step-daughter join Hatrack and mess up your automatic login! I had forgotten my password for heaven's sake! [Frown] Well, she's banned from my school computer...that one's MINE! Mine I tell you!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to having friends visit for weeks, only to have them cancel the day before.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to tell the principal that the kids are still complaining about fights in the bathrooms and having him blow it off and say it is not that bad.

Establishing rules for where the students are allowed to be (not in the building afterschool) and then having the prinicpal let kids do whatever they want while the teachers bust our rear ends to try and maintain order.

After hearing the superintentent say we wouldn't have to worry about having our horrible principal again another year, listening to the said principal talk about all the changes he will make for next school year that have very little to do with what ACTUALLY needs to be done.

Reread the title of the thread. I guess these aren't really little things.

Having your daughter wake you up at oh dark thirty in the morning when you were hoping to sleep late.

Realizing that hubby did not make coffee before going to work.

The thought of all the cleaning plans when the weather is perfect outside.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Having bangs that won't cooperate !!!!
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
People who are nice to you until they make some sarcastic comment and reveal how arrogant they actually are.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand for Soara's comment*

I fit that utterly and completly.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

*smiles cheerfully*
*hands out chocolate chip cookies and milk*

C'mon guys, life is good!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to laugh off the little things and not let them get under my skin.

Some days, I just laugh and laugh and laugh!

The big things, though. Well, I guess I'll just try to rise to the challenge and overcome.

Wish me luck with that plan.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
You being really into a game so that it seems realand then someone comes by and says "You know it's just a game don't you"
Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Having your alarm go off, getting all ready for work and then remembering its the weekend.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate waking up with a headache. 'Cause if it is already hurting when I wake up, then it's only going to get worse when I start moving around and starting my day.

Thank goodness for Excedrin, though.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RuggedAscent
Member # 7764

- posted      Profile for RuggedAscent   Email RuggedAscent         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting REALLY into a tv show just to learn that it's been cancelled and you will NEVER KNOW HOW THE STORY ENDS!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that, Rugged.

<grumbles about Firefly>

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
Trying to tell the principal that the kids are still complaining about fights in the bathrooms and having him blow it off and say it is not that bad.

Our school has a policy on this I had never seen before: the bathrooms are all locked during classes. If a student wants to use one, they have to get a key from the teacher or wait 'til lunch when there are faculty on duty nearby. It doesn't make bathroom fights impossible by any means, but it has nearly eliminated those that take place between students who would be ditching class and 'hiding' in the bathrooms.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You should be proud of me. I just wrote a nasty comment about your school and deleted the WHOLE THING! I am such a good girl!

[Evil]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.