FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Capturing the beauty around you

Author Topic: Capturing the beauty around you
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the great things about digital cameras is the ability to take numerous photos of unimportant things, just to see how the pictures turns out, or because an interesting detail catches your eye.

I took some lovely sunset photos this evening. Arizona sunsets can be pretty stunning, and there are all these tall buildings on campus that reflect the light in interesting ways.

Student Services Building
Education Building
Auditorium
Orange Tree
A view from inside my dorm hall

I also saw a ton of birds flying over as I was walking around. I sure hope they're just migrating, and not, say, running away from some sort of geological disaster.
It's a bird...it's a plane!
A less zoomed shot of the tree and the birds
The birds all fly away

What have you seen lately that was beautiful?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
It snowed yesterday afternoon, so I spent the evening wandering around town, taking photos of the cathedral, the castle, and the abbey ruins all covered in snow. Everything looked so different, all soft and sparkly and magical.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as I get a camera, (a good one, like photagraphers use) I'm going to ride my bike around with one of my friends and take some pictures of whatever I think looks good.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
bella, do we get to SEE said photos?

shigosei, it's the light in those photos that's the most riveting, I think many of those would look awesome in black and white, where the light would be emphasized.

jeesh, you don't need a "good camera" to take "good photos." Sure, a good camera is nice, but it isn't the camera that makes a photographer "good."

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to capture beauty once, but then I got beat up by this jealous beast.

You don't want to know where the camera ended up.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I think I already know.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
bella, do we get to SEE said photos?

Soon, probably. I need to download them from my camera first!
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Well, then I'm waiting for a camera!
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Shigosei, the pictures were nice, but as a photophobe, I found all the light to be almost painful.

Don't you get clouds there in Arizona?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved the light on that Student Services building.

As for what I've found beautiful lately -- about a month ago I was in Delaware on business. A flock of geese flew overhead, at a fairly low altitude. It was a quiet, still morning and I could hear the whooshing sound of their wingbeats. That was beautiful.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Don't you get clouds there in Arizona?

Sometimes in the morning. [Smile]

Shigosei, while it pains me to say this as a current UA student, your pictures are very nice. [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Those pictures all had great light. Arizona is gorgeous.

I see beautiful pictures around me a lot too. I should get a camera so I can record some of them. All I have now is my little cell phone camera, and it doesn't really capture it well.

The neat thing about it is just getting myself in the habit of noticing the beauty that is everywhere all around me. So much of it I realize I totally ignore, which is a shame. [Smile]

Here are a few that I took around my house.
Japanese Maple Tree Another view

Here are some that I took around my office.
Many blossoms Across the Lake Forsythia

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, springtime has come earlier to you than to me. We are still having wintry weather, with not a bloom in sight.

We do have ice, though.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I'm in Alabama, where are you? Spring was a long time coming here, and the cold weather is still not totally gone. I feel sorry for people in colder places. I plan to move somewhere warmer someday. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Mackillian, I'll give the black and white thing a try. Thanks for the tip.

Tante, we don't get many clouds here. Actually, there's been a drought lately. It's been more than 120 days without rain. So, if you don't like a lot of light, Arizona is not for you. I generally wear sunglasses year-round.

I like the colors in your pictures, Tatiana!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

So last week I said I’d put my snow-day photos up here. It’s taken a while, but here they are.

It was just getting dark, so the light varies quite a lot from photo to photo, starting with late afternoon and ending with full darkness. The snow was ankle deep - just enough to make things look pretty. [Smile]

The castle, from the park

looking up
the Minster, through the trees

side view
over the hedge

Then I went down to the Abbey ruins

A few minutes later, it looked like this and this. Very Gothic.

Then I turned around… and found myself in Narnia.

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
"jeesh, you don't need a "good camera" to take "good photos." Sure, a good camera is nice, but it isn't the camera that makes a photographer "good." "

Taking a billion pictures in a weekend, and then deleteing 80 percent of them, is what makes a photographer good. [Razz]

Beautiful pics, Shigosei and Bella. Bella, I really like the first one. [Smile]

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

[ROFL]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.