FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For all sick Hatrackers, come here for sympathy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: For all sick Hatrackers, come here for sympathy
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm so sorry that you are not feeling well. There's a lot of that going around now, you know. Try to get plenty of rest and plenty of fluids.

Here, have some chicken soup. I'll bet a nice hot cup of tea would feel nice about now.

And you'll be needing this, I'm sure.

Feel better!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tante. I feel better already!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thag you very buch.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That tea is herbal, right? And safe for pregnant women?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

If it's the kind at the Giant's Shadow Resort, kq, then yes, it's safe for you.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you're not feeling well KQ. This tea seems like just what you're looking for.

And here, I just finished crocheting you a virtual Afghan. Cuddle up under it, keep warm, and enjoy your tea.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
We're just gonna pass our germs around this way...

Oh, fine. I need soup and an afghan BAD.

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Afghans all around, then.

And there's still plenty of chicken soup, hot tea, and Kleenex for everyone.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. Tea! Just might have to stick my nose in that. I miss being able to breathe. I also miss being able to swallow food or drinks without pain. And with my roommate, my boyfriend, and his roommates sick as well, I miss having someone to take care of me.

Feel better everyone. We'll all be functioning human beings soon enough.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Auntie Shvester, I don't want to go to bed because I have the beginnings of a cold and I know that by the time I wake up in the morning, it will be a full-on cold. Right now, I'm only a little achy and sniffly.

I should go to bed though.

May I take my afghan with me?

*pitiful look*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor jexx! You should definitely go to bed now, because if you don't you will still have your full-on cold in the morning, AND you'll be exhausted and feeling all the worse because of it.

There are plenty of Afghans to go around. Take it and keep it. Better take some Kleenex for the nightstand, too.

Feel better soon!

<pat, pat>

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, I can't drink black tea when I'm sick. Coffee, soup, water, herbal tea etc. but not tea.

I'm getting over my sickness, so here's good feelings to everyone else still working their way through [Smile] [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You sick people, to the edges of the herd! We don't want the predators coming through us to see you and pick you off!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, the dog and cat were a little extra aggressive last week when John and I were at our sickest, and my sister suggested that they sensed we were weak and were making their move towards taking over "boss". I actually think she might be right.

They weren't mean or scary, just... pushy.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I burnt my finger at work today and it still hurts hours later. I have put aloe on it but it still needs sympathy.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Walk it off, theresa51282!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Rakeesh,

I tried to walk off a twisted ankle on Friday--leave theresafiveonetwoeighttwo alone~!

*sympathizes with theresa*

My cold hasn't really 'hit' yet. I hate it when I can feel the phlegm waiting to explode into my sinuses. It is just a matter of time. I'm pretending like I am not sick so that my eight year old will not even *think* of being sick. I cannot let him stay home tomorrow from school. I need him to go away and let me be sick on my own.

The afghan helped, though, Auntie, thank you.

*sips nasty herbal infused green tea*

*it better help, is all I'm sayin'*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor, Theresa! Try smearing your hurt finger with salve and then bandaging it gently. That should help.

And have a Popsicle, 'cause that's always nice.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by jexx:
I'm pretending like I am not sick so that my eight year old will not even *think* of being sick. I cannot let him stay home tomorrow from school. I need him to go away and let me be sick on my own.

Well, the best way to keep the little snot-monster from getting all snotty is not by cultivating denial, but rather by good infection control practices.

Wash your hands often. Do not even think of touching anything but soap and water after you have wiped your nose. Lysol the phone, the keyboard, the other stuff that you've touched. Sitting in front of the computer, blowing your nose and getting the keyboard all germified, and then letting the little snot-monster have a crack at it is just encouraging his snotification.

Oh, just go ahead and Lysol the kid! (Well, that's not really recommended, but there have been times that I've been tempted).

Feel better soon!

Tinros
Member # 8328

quote:
Oh, just go ahead and Lysol the kid! (Well, that's not really recommended, but there have been times that I've been tempted).
Better yet: Fill a tub with lysol and make him bathe in it.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I loathe and dispise chicken soup. The slimy nasty chicken, the icky mushy carrots and celery, the greasy broth. I had some childhood issues with it. I made my Grandma cry once, when *I* was sick, and she was attempting to insist I ate that crap. She was the one visiting MY house and I didn't ask to get sick.

I really don't think you should guilt trip a sick child. Especially over nasty soup. Of course I guess it was standard M.O. for her in hindsight.

I've also been running a 101+ fever this weekend.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Tsk Tsk! (I'm clucking sympathetically)
I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy, Banna. If you don't like the chicken soup, then stay away from it. Can I get you some toast and tea? In any event, have a nice, warm, cuddly Afghan. Try to take what fluids you can.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any cough medicine? I can't stop hacking.

*cough* *cough*

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, the question is do YOU have any cough medicine? Honestly, Robitussin is just about as effective as codeine, but without the sedation and constipation.

Taking lots of fluids will help keep your sputum loose so that you can more easily hack it up. You know what is also wonderful for a hacking cough? Steam. Go take a hot steamy shower, and let the steam loosen your phlegm.

Unless, of course, you have the kind of hacky, non-productive cough that comes from a post-nasal drip. Then a decongestant will help more than cough medicine will. If the cough is all tickly in your throat, but not really phlegmy, decongest, even if your nose doesn't seem blocked. If the cough is all rattle-y in your chest with gooey phlegm gobs, take an expectorant and some steam. If the hacking keeps you awake, take a cough suppressant at bedtime.

But, rest and fluids in any event.

Oh, and have an Afghan. That's always comforting.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

Thank you.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching a movie with my brother when I noticed a slight discoloration in the center of his expensive front-projection home theater screen. "What happened to your screen," I asked. "I had a cold and sneezed," was his reply.

His chair is 20 feet from the screen!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

[ROFL]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Honestly, Robitussin is just about as effective as codeine, but without the sedation and constipation.

Pfffft.

It's never worked for me. Codeine, on the other hand, is very effective.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
"The bottom line is, when you look at the well-done scientific studies, there were very few showing that any of the cough and cold products that we often buy are in fact effective for the acute cough from the common cold," said Dr. Peter Dicpinigaitis
Wow. Not to mock someone's name, but that doctor sounds as though he ought to have a particularly nasty disease named after him.

"Doctor, what is wrong with me?"

"I'm afraid the tests are conclusive. You have Dicpinigaitis."

"Oy."

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the sweet thread, Tante.

I am feeling a bit better, no more fever, and no more sore throat. Like a good little patient, however, I'm still taking my antibiotic in hopes that we can eradicate the strep bug for good this time.

Tomorrow I go back to chemo and, provided my blood counts are high enough, will get treated again.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Honestly, Belle, have you and your whole family, including the pets, been treated with antibiotics all at once? You may be passing the same nasty strep bug around and around and around.

Also, there has been more and more resistant strep around lately. Besides the culture, has your doctor done a sensitivity to make sure that you are on the right antibiotic? Because if it is resistant, the pills you are taking might just quiet it down for a while, only to spring forth with renewed vigor once the course of antibiotics is done.

In the meanwhile, you just concentrate on growing new blood. If I had a good remedy for thrombocytopenia, I'd send it to you, but I don't really. Good luck!

And, what the hey, have an Afghan! Even if you are feeling better, they are still comfy and nice to have around in the winter.

Belle
Member # 2314

At one point Tante, yes all seven of us in the household were on an antibiotic at the same time.

I haven't had a culture again, I can ask the doc tomorrow, I think I'm supposed to see her.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
At one point Tante, yes all seven of us in the household were on an antibiotic at the same time.

The dog, too?
Belle
Member # 2314

No, wasn't counting the dogs. I don't see how I could get strep from the dogs, as I don't have that much contact with them. They're mostly my Mom's dogs, they stay downstairs in the basement with her when they're not outside.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, you see, dogs are reservoirs for strep. But they don't get symptomatic with sore throats and fevers like people do. Their anuses get colonized with it. Even after the whole family had been de-streptococcaled, the little 'cocci are lurking on the pup's butt, which, dogs being what they are, can land up re-cocci-ing the family. You don't even need to have dog-butt contact. But someone can pick up the 'cocci, not be sick, but be a carrier, and then spread the 'coccal joy to all his dear friends and family.

I am totally not making this up!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
We're all sick. Again. *grumble*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor Tom! Let me be the first to offer you heartfelt sympathy. Also a warm and comfy Afghan, hand crocheted by me, some nourishing chicken soup, homemade by me, as much hot tea as you like, lemon and honey stirred in by me, and, of course, some Kleenex.

Now don't you feel just a leetle bit better knowing that someone cares?

Feel better soon, you and all your partners in snot.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] [Group Hug]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Blayne, that's sweet and all, but you picked the two most unhygienic graemlins in the bunch! Particularly unsuited for this thread!

[Wave] from a safe distance would be a little healthier, I'm sure.

katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm bored and whiny and looking for some sympathy. I've been running a pretty decent fever for several days. When it shot up to almost 104 someone finally took me to the emergency room where they gave me some good cough medicine and IV fluids and medicine to help with nausea. Sent me home and had me quartantined for at least 48 hours with instructions to drink as much as physically possible (which wasn't much yesterday as I was still not able to keep much down).

My 48 hours are up but since I still have a fever and cough and congestion only one person will come anywhere near me. I can't go into the living room to watch television 'cause there's almost always someone in there. I had to move out of my bedroom so that I'd be closer to the bathroom so I don't even have my music. I swore up and down to wash my hands really well and not breathe on the keyboard if they'd just let me use the computer for a little while.

So here I am, whiny and bored and weak lonely and looking for any kind of interaction. If you have any more sympathy to dole out, send some my way please!

Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Kat wins the prize of sickest 'racker so far! Sent you home to quarantine?!! Hokey Smokies!

Are you on antibiotics? Have you spoken with your doctor since your 48 hours are up and you are still so sick?

I give you sympathy <pat pat>, and an extra soft, thick Afghan to snuggle under. Would you like a popsicle, honey? Do you think you could have some toast and tea? Tsk tsk (sympathetic clucking). Here is a nice cool cloth for your feverish forehead. That's OK, you can lay it over your eyes, too, dear, if that helps.

A good steam in the bathroom will help loosen up your congested chest. But if you are weak and feverish, it is probably best not to go under the shower. Just let the hot shower fill the bathroom with steam, while you sit and breathe.

And feel better soon, dear.

Tinros
Member # 8328

Great. Just great. Now I'm getting really sick. My temperature is down to 96, I'm shaking, and I hurt all over. Not to mention sinus drainage. Yuck.

Can I have an afghan?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, poor Tinros! I thought you just got over some tummy trouble, and now this. Tsk tsk (sympathetic clucking) Have some nice homemade chicken soup, and a warm and snuggly handmade Afghan. And you should probably just take that Afghan into bed with you and get lots of rest, you seem kind of run down.

And don't forget your Kleenex!

Feel better soon, sweetie.

jexx
Member # 3450

I'm feeling better, but The Boy is feeling worse. I had to keep him home from school & karate yesterday, and this morning I had to keep him home again. :/ He gets real talkative when he's sick, which is funny on one hand, but annoying on the other. We don't have any escape from one another when he stays home sick. It gets a bit trying.

We do a lot of handwashing in my house (in reference to Auntie's earlier admonition). I worked in the food industry for many years and learned the value of hot water and soap! Handling other people's dirty plates (and dirtier money--yuck!) will do that for a person. Unfortunately, my son's birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese *shudder* on Saturday transcended any kind of Lysol disinfecting. So many children, so little Purell!

I'm just glad I'm not as sick as some of the other people in this thread *disinfects computer*. I'm sending healing thoughts from far away!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor Boy Jexx! Prop his little snotty self in front of the TV, wrap him in an Afghan, and let him watch Mary Poppins on video. Ply him with chicken soup, Kleenexes and Purell.

Oh, and don't let him eat cereal straight from the box. I once caught my snotty, coughing kid dipping his germ-laden hands into the Cheerios, and I freaked out. I don't think he's done that again.

Glad to hear that you are doing well, though. See! The soup worked!

jexx
Member # 3450

Oh, ew ew ew snotty hands in cereal box! *shudder* Luckily, I seem to have put all of the snacky-type things (including cereal) up too high for him to reach, and I always put cereal in a snack bowl or sandwich bag.

He will not eat soup. *sob* I don't know whose kid he is, I love soup. Oh well, more soup for me!

He is looking over my shoulder as I type this, because he wants to use my laptop to look up cartoon characters. *gets Lysol ready*

katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I am feeling much better today. My fever is gone, the aching has left my body (except for my head). I have been allowed into the community room again, but no one's home. My legs are still too weak to actually walk any great distance but at least I can stand up without having to hold onto something.

Thanks for the Afghan and I think I'll take that popsicle now!
Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes a small corner and sleeps*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Jexx, feed the boy jello. Or whatever he will take. As long as it is keeping him hydrated, it doesn't HAVE to be soup. But soup is the best choice. Chicken soup. How many chickens have sacrificed their lives so that we could recover from our colds?

Katd, I'm relieved to hear that you are getting better. Have another cool cloth for your head, and a popsicle. You are also given permission to watch as much junk TV as you like -- after all in your weakened condition you can not be held responsible for your choices.

Christy, not you too! Are you coming down sick as well? You just rest and try to sleep off the worst of it.
<tucks a thick and cozy hand crocheted Afghan around Christy>
And when you are ready to get up, I left a nice pot of chicken soup simmering on the stove for you. Help yourself to as much as you like.

jexx
Member # 3450

*wraps all of the sick people in love and comfort*

Christopher will drink as much water as I ask, which is so wonderful of him. He likes to have lemon in it. He's just funny about food. Applesauce and crackers are pretty much it today.

He took a nice, warming bath today (with lavender salts in). Would anyone like me to draw them a bath?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.