FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For all sick Hatrackers, come here for sympathy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: For all sick Hatrackers, come here for sympathy
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jexx:
Would anyone like me to draw them a bath?

Draw? No. But could you paint one? With watercolors?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin*

I actually could, if you like. I have acrylics, as well. But not oil-based paint. When Christopher was littler, I was afraid of him getting into my paints (even though they were out of reach, I am a worrier), and figured that watercolors (and later acrylics) would be easier to purge. Er. TMI?

*toddles off to paint Auntie a bath*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
That bath sounds soooooooo good. I think I'll take one whilst I read Tale of Two Cities...
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd kill to have a bathtub. I'd have to go to a different building to get anything except for a shower.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katdog42:
I'd kill to have a bathtub.

I think we found a motive for the murder, detective!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

I admit it! I did it in the hall with the candlestick.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Back to bed with you, you're Clueless!
katdog42
Member # 4773

Nah, that was just a red herring.
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante! I have a sinus headache and an achy throat and Sudafed helps some but not enough and I'm exhausted because I woke up after only four hours of sleep and was too achy to fall back asleep and we have an 11-hour train ride tonight. [Cry] I need hugs and chicken soup!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor KQ! Here's just what to do: help yourself to a nice hot bowl of chicken soup, and stir in some Vitamin H -- Heinz Ketchup. Tylenol will probably make you more comfortable. I hand-crocheted a nice thick Afghan, wrap up in it, armed with a formidable supply of Kleenex. I'll give you all the chicken soup, Kleenex, Afghans and sympathy you need, but no hugs -- I've already had a bad dream that I got sick from all the contagious people on this thread, and I woke up with a really sore throat. It got better, though. I think it was just a dream sore throat, but it felt real.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
But virtual hugs involve no physical contact! *whines*

Thank you for the afghan and soup, though. I did take some Tylenol, and with that and the Sudafed was eventually able to get a little nap.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

((ketchupqueen))
Tinros
Member # 8328

One week of illness and counting. I feel horribe even with Dayquil. And Nyquil only helps me sleep for a few hours or so. It's transformed into a cough with an on and off runny/stuffy nose. And all-over body soreness. At least it's the weekend, and school doesn't start til 9:30 each day next week because of Ohio Graduation testing(the Ohio version of the proficiency tests) for freshmen adn sophomores. Ah, the joys of being a senior. And the pain of being sick. Ugh.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor Tinros! Still sick! Tsk tsk. Have a nice hot cup of tea with honey and lemon to ease your cough. You still have your comfy crocheted Afghan? Now would be a good time for it. And some more Kleenex, too. I know that it is hard to sleep when you are coughing and congested, but even if you can't sleep, try staying in and resting as much as you can. You are just running yourself down and prolonging your misery by trying to work through the Cold from He_ _. You have my official permission to stay in and watch TV snug in a nest of comfy Afghan and Kleenex. If anyone gives you a hard time for laying about, just tell them that your Tante said that you needed to rest and take a couple of days off.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish me well you guys. I have to work tomorrow and I just CAN'T miss it. [Frown]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Ryuko:
Wish me well

If wishing would make it so, then Wellness I wish to you.
katdog42
Member # 4773

I'll send you some good thoughts and vibes. Hope that helps!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone gave me a cold. *glares at everyone in thread*

*sniffles, coughs*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my roommate gave me his flu.

This is what I get for taking care of my friend.

*drinks tea* Ohh, I don't feel so good.

*runs to bathroom*

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, poor Rivka! I'm sorry that you got a cold. Have you had some chicken soup? I really do think it will help. Oh, and some of those extra nice Kleenex with the built-in lotion, so that your nose won't become fatigued. Get as much rest as you can, and feel better soon.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Oh, poor Rivka! I'm sorry that you got a cold.
Thanks.
quote:
Have you had some chicken soup?
Yup.
quote:
Get as much rest as you can,
*looks at calendar and laughs*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Tsk tsk tsk (sympathetic clucking)

Advent, I'm not surprised to hear that your roommate passed on his flu to you. Flu is awfully contagious, and this is the reward that we get for caring for others. I'm sorry that you're so miserable. Wrap up in a thick soft Afghan, and go lie down in bed. Some Tylenol will help with the aches, fevers and chills, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to sleep and rest and take plenty of fluids. Tea is fine, and when you are feeling up to it, have a nice bowl of chicken soup. Make your roommate get it for you -- he owes you. I left some Kleenex right there next to your bed, so you don't have to move too much.

Feel better, Advent.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the well-wishes, Tante, katdog. I think due to divine intervention/the flu shot, I was well enough to go to work Sunday night. I would say yay, but I'm still feeling ill so it was more like I had to be sick at work. :/
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniffles* Thank you nurse Tante.

*takes Tylenol* Now, if I can only finish my Homework so I can email it in tonight.... [Frown]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Ryuko, get some rest now, so that you will get better faster. Oh, and some soup.

Advent, send an email right now that you'll need an extension because you are sick with the flu and you have 102 degree fever, and can not compose a proper sentence in your feverish state. Make sure to include lots of pathetic errors in your email in order to prove your point. Then, and this is very important, LOG OFF THE COMPUTER AND GO LIE DOWN! You go to sleep, now. And don't let me catch you hanging out in bars or going snowmobiling in your condition, young man.

Seriously, take care of yourself.

Tinros
Member # 8328

I'm all better! Thanks for the afghan and the soup, Tante!
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I need sympathy for my son Daniel. [Frown]

He has an ear infection and is home from school.

The trip to the doctor this morning was...memorable.

He looked at his ear and said he needed to pull out some wax because he couldn't see the eardrum. So he started cleaning out the ear. And he kept cleaning it. And he kept cleaning. There was an unbelievably amount of wax that came out of that boy's ear.

Then the doctor says "Aha! Found it."

And shows me an eyeball.

Yes. An eyeball that was in my son's ear. One of those little plastic eyes you find on small stuffed animals. Since Daniel has rarely been sick, and hasn't been to the doctor for a while, it couldn't have been in there for who knows how long.

At any rate, he's feeling better since I got some motrin in him (he had a high fever, 103.5) and has some antibiotics to take care of the infection. He had a blast telling everyone in the store what happened. It's very entertaining to see the look on a pharmacist's face when a five year old announces "The doctor took an eyeball out of my ear!"

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

But I need to finish it nurse Tante. And my math teacher isn't very understanding when it comes to being ill.

And I'm not doing much moving other than with my fingers. *shudrs* This Thera Flu stuff is just nasty, but at least its keeping my stomach down.

rivka
Member # 4859

Belle, [Eek!]

[ROFL]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

((Daniel)) I'm sorry that you are feeling so sick and that your ear hurts. I remember when I was your age, I had an earache, and it hurt really bad. You must be a very brave boy indeed to let the doctor pull all that wax out of your hurt ear.

But an EYEBALL!!!??? That is definitely the coolest think I have ever heard. I hope that you saved it! Maybe you can glue it to a piece of paper and make a frame around it and hang it on your wall. If the doctor didn't give it back to you (was he afraid that you'd stick it in your other ear?), then at least draw a picture of a sick boy with an eyeball in his ear, and make a frame for it and hang it on your wall.

The doctor gave you medicine, right? So, take your medicine, even if it is nasty stuff, and you will soon be feeling a lot better. And, you will have THE COOLEST show and tell to bring to school when you go back -- the eyeball that came out of your ear.

And ask Mommy if she has any popsicles and jello. They will feel nice to eat and will help you feel better.

I hope you are feeling much better by tomorrow, and in the meantime, you can work on that eyeball art project.
None of these guys even HAVE ears! --> [The Wave]

rivka
Member # 4859

They have ears. Just not external ones.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
my math teacher isn't very understanding when it comes to being ill.

Well, I usually don't approve of this sort of thing, but you may just have to teach the teacher a lesson by turning in your germ-encrusted math homework in person. Be sure to cough in his general direction and tell him that you would have just stayed in since you were so very sick and contagious, but that you know that he will take no excuses about math homework. *cough cough wink wink*

Theraflu is loaded with Tylenol (acetaminophen). Do not take extra Tylenol along with it, since the last thing you need is a hurt liver. Try to get as much rest as you can, and to sleep though the worst of this siege.
[Blushing] <-- poor Advent looking alternatively pale and flushed.

rivka
Member # 4859

Hmmph. As a teacher, I'd like to know how long Advent has been putting off this assignment before you advise that he infect his teacher.

I have no sympathy for students who come to me with excuses that boil down to, "I did no work on the assignment for two weeks because I planned to do the whole thing at the last minute, and then I got sick." [Roll Eyes]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I have no sympathy

This is why we didn't leave you in charge of the sympathy thread.

Now go have a cup of tea with some honey and lemon, and take it easy. You're not feeling that well yourself.

rivka
Member # 4859

I am taking it easy. [Smile] We went to an early seudah (too crowded and too noisy, but the food was good), and now I get to stay home and hydrate (I'm actually drinking water at the moment) while the kids deliver.

As for taking what I said so completely out of context . . . [No No] [Mad] [Razz]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I am taking it easy...now I get to stay home and hydrate

Good girl. Refuah Shleima and a Freiliche Purim.

(Oh, why do I even bother to run a post like that through the spell checker?)

rivka
Member # 4859

Because if you don't (well, maybe not you, but if I don't) the misspelling of the single English word will slip by?

Because it's an opportunity to educate your spell-check? [Wink]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Didn't want to get out of bed this morning to go to work. But I did. By 10:30, I was so spacey and achy and chilled that I packed it up and went home to bed. Where I fell into a dead stupor and didn't budge for the next seven hours. I just got up and put some soup on the stove, but I'm ready to go lie down some more.

Crud. [Frown]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! What shall we do when the person in charge of the sick people's sympathy thread is sick herself?

Poor Tante. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oy! Ok, someone (and I'm not naming any names here) at KosherCon must have been dispensing cold viruses.

*hands Esther a box of Kleenex, a warm blanket, and a cup of tea with lemon and honey*

katdog42
Member # 4773

Have a nice warm blanket and I'll go get that soup off the stove for you. Hope you feel better soon!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Thanks, guys. I don't have a cold. I'm not sniffling or congested. Just achy, chilly, and exhausted. But thanks for the hot soup and warm blanket.

I'm going back to bed again again.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniff*

I can't get sick again. I just got over a 3 week battle with the flu.

I had blood drawn earlier this week, had a tetanus shot and then I started my period...is it possible to feel like you're catching a cold with a combo of those three? My throat hurts, joints ache and I just want to sleep. Ithink I'm going to go stand in a steamy shower for a while and see if that helps.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor Jeni! A tetanus shot might make you feel achy, a blood draw is unlikely to make you feel anything, and getting your period makes everything feel worse. But if you are sniffling and have a sore throat, well, I hate to confirm what you are already suspecting, but you probably are getting a cold. Have some soup, and try to rest. You may be run down from your flu battle, and not yet up to your full strength. Try to baby yourself, and see if you can sleep through the worst of it. This, this, and this ought to be of some use, not to mention this for your sniffly nose and this for your aches and sore throat.

Feel better, honey!

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Those links made me feel better, Tante, thank you. I'm going to finish this project for work, then I think I'm going to go lay down with my orange juice and popsicle. With soup for lunch.

You're the best, Tante...I really needed a little sympathy.

[Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Glad it was some help. Try not to get too much popsicle and juice on the sheets.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sick. [Frown] I just got over a nasty cold that took my voice and last night this particular cold settled in my nose. I'm the queen of post nasal drip.

I'm going to bed at 7 tonight to sleep through, hopefully that will shorten the duration.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor Narnia! The post nasal drip is such a miserable thing to suffer through. You have my sympathy. Eating a nice hot bowl of chicken soup can actually decongest your nose; I'd highly recommend it. You know what can also be very helpful? Afrin Nasal Spray. You just need to be sure to use it right and not abuse it. No more than two sprays in each nostril no more than every 12 hours for no more than three days. Otherwise, the rebound congestion can leave you worse off than you started. But it will halt the post nasal drip, let you breathe easier so you can sleep, and make you much more comfortable.

And speaking of comfortable, have you helped yourself to an Afghan? No, never mind that, I meant an Afghan. No, no, a hand made crocheted Afghan. In any event, drink plenty of fluids, and rest your voice. You will only prolong the laryngitis by trying to croak hoarsely through it.

Feel better!

jeniwren
Member # 2002

(((Narnia))) I'm loving my Vick's Vapor Rub. I hope you feel much better tomorrow.

I'm finally done with my project for work, so I think I'm going to go grab that blankie and snuggle down in front of the fire.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.