FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stupid formatting/Linux question

Author Topic: Stupid formatting/Linux question
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I don't know this, but yes I'm a dummy. If any of you can help me, I'll be in your debt.

I've reformatted hard drives dozens of times, and I think I could do it in my sleep now. But I've always used the Windows disc, and done a format (NTFS) and Windows install simultaneously.

Now I've got enough spare parts to make a new computer, and I want to use it to screw around with Linux. I've got my Ubuntu install disc and an old hard drive that's currently formatted NTFS and full of a bunch of junk I'm ready to erase. So now I need to know how to put some kind of FAT format on this thing so it'll be ready to take the Ubuntu install.

Can anyone either tell me how to do this, or point me to a little tutorial? I'll love forever if you do. And you'll have the satisfaction of helping another newbie on the road to a Microsloth-free lifestyle. You can't lose. [Big Grin]

[ March 05, 2006, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Baron Samedi ]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

BTW, while I'm on the topic, if anyone has any ideas for resources that will help me understand what the heck this Linux thing is and how to use it, that would be nice too. I've seen tons of books at Barnes and Noble and I'm tempted to get one, but I don't want to spend $50 unless I know that they're worth it, so if someone knows a good one, I'd appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks again. [Smile]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, Ubuntu doesn't like FAT either; it can use a number of different (and far more advanced than FAT) filesystems.

Just pop in the Ubuntu disk and when it asks you if its okay to delete everything on the hard drive, say yes. It will set up the hard disk as appropriate.

As far as using Linux, its a bit hard to do from a book, partly because there's more than could ever be covered in a book.

This might be a good place to get some info, though, and its cheap: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdesktoppr/index.html

Among other things, it has ubuntu specific information. Also for that, the guide: http://ubuntuguide.org/ and wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ will be very useful.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
What I do for good books, usually, is go to Amazon, type in the keyword (Linux in this case), and check out the reviews.

I do some Linux, but I don't know how to do hard drive formatting.

You might also try the key phrase "system administration."

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks, fugu, I'll give that a try. [Hail]
Jade Peat
Member # 9230

- posted      Profile for Jade Peat   Email Jade Peat         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu's got some good info.

Also, do a google search for "Linux Tutorial" or "Linux for beginners" or the like--you'll find something if you search around a bit. Linux isn't all "RTFM!" these days, so there should be free online tutorials somewhere. [Smile]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
also, if you are new to Linux, I'd go with Redhat or Mandrake. They are more userfriendly...and have a very easy install. Actually, I found it easier to install redhat than to install windows. As for your actual question, both Redhat and Mandrake will reformat your hard drive and use the correct format for Linux.

I actually found it funny when one time I had a hard drive crash and had to reformat and reinstall windows and linux (turns out I had a bad hard drive...that I later replaced). Anway, I installed windows first and found that it didn't recognize my network card. This was in late '98-early '99 so support for ethernet cards wasn't as good as it is now. I of course had lost the disk so I needed some way to get a driver. Since my only internet connection required my ethernet card I couldn't connect to the internet to download the driver.

I then said screw it, I'll deal with it later...and installed linux (I dual booted). Linux automatically recognized my ethernet card, so i could then go online and download the windows driver...so I could then get my ethernet card to work in windows.

[Smile] From then on, I always got a bit of a chuckle whenever people said that Linux was hard to use, or hard to install...since I had to use Linux to get a driver for my windows installation to work. [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Lupus: I would argue Ubuntu is more user friendly than either Fedora or Mandriva (there is no more consumer distribution of Red Hat -- Fedora is a related community distribution -- and Mandrake changed its name [Wink] ). It doesn't have a GUI installer, but its installer is no less comprehensible than a GUI installer.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Fugu: Hey, this is my first post from my fully functional (by some definitions) Linux computer. I just wanted to use it to say thanks.

There are a lot of things that are freaking me out. But you were right about the Ubuntu forums. Although the things that I'm reading there now are terrifying me (concerning command lines and solving problems by modifying code and the like), it also promises to be loads of fun.

I'm open-source! Hooray!

[Party]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Linux can be a lot of fun, and it will definitely be a beneficial learning experience [Smile] . Command lines are nothing to be scared of, but you should pretty much never need to modify "code" in a mature distribution like Ubuntu . . . now, you might need to modify config files . . . [Wink] .

Feel free to come here with any questions, though the Ubuntu forums are also an excellent resource.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.