FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things Not to Do While Integrating (or Reintegrating) Oneself Into Hatrack (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Things Not to Do While Integrating (or Reintegrating) Oneself Into Hatrack
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty much the lifecycle of MOST threads, really.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Advent, I just want you to know that even if others haven't, I have accepted your apology. It doesn't erase what you did, it simply means that I forgive you. It means I am willing to give you a second chance.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helion A. I.
Member # 9223

- posted      Profile for Helion A. I.   Email Helion A. I.         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. But I am afraid you may be the only one willing to give that chance.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
No, in spite of the people who have said unkind things, I don't think I am the only one.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
If you would stop wallowing in self-despair, you would see that pretty much everyone here is willing to give you another chance.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Apply a B list actor's Shakespearean accent to all of Helion's posts and it really makes for some amusing reading.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Helion A. I.:
Then perhaps we have not learned the same lessons Karl. From what I see no one is ever loved for what they truly are in there heart of hearts. They are loved for how others percieve them to be. Not for what they really are to themselves.

Then you have a truly sad life. I wish you better, in the future, but you're the only one who can do anything to change it... and it starts by not seeing every hand as a potential fist and every love as descending from "what can you do for me." If you believe that love does not exist, then, for you, it cannot.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Have many people been unkind? I think a lot of us figured out that you were Advent, but we were going to let you carry on this new persona, if that was what you felt you needed.

Having your alts interact with each other left a sour taste, but I think a lot of people would have overlooked it.

If you were interested in my advice, I would say stop with drama. That includes not constantly bringing up what people have found annoying. That includes not insulting us, either individually or en masse. That includes not rending your clothes and gnashing your teeth about how you're treated here. Honestly, there is only one thing you *have* to do, if you want to be accepted: start contributing. That's more important than any apology. If you contribute, then sooner or later people will come around.

It's beyond unfair for you to say that nobody has been forgiving, or that everyone has been mean to you. Speaking for myself, I certainly think I have been both welcoming and accepting.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you keep on being so negative about my posts, my solution will be to send you to a little place the French like to call L'Hopital.
[ROFL]

-----

You didn't create an alt to "rise from the ashes", you did it so you could spy on us and ask questions about what you did wrong. And, you were painfully obvious about it. And, you pulled more of what got you into trouble in the first place, playing games and thinking you're smarter than everyone else by continuing to post as advent and helios simultaneously.

If you wanted to come back under a new persona and start fresh, you would've retired 'advent' and just posted as 'helios'.

I don't believe your apology because I don't think you believe it. I think you're doing what a small child would do when they're caught misbehaving by their parents. You'll keep casting the apology net farther and wider until everyone agrees that it's sincere enough and forgives you. You'll continue to play the martyr and hope you can guilt people into giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Some, and maybe even most, people will. But not me. No amount of pseudoapologies will work on me. The only thing that I'll accept from you is a genuine reformation of your attitude and behavior. And this isn't it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was there ever any joy to be had here at all? I saw no possability of it.

My friend's dad once asked him, "What's the difference between fun and joy?" My friend, ever the smart alec, replied, "You can poke fun but you can't poke joy." His dad replied, "I have a friend named Joy, you can poke her." He didn't understand why his son laughed so hard at such an innocent pun.
</derailment>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I like what Karl said. However, I think I would prefer the happy third option.

Oh, me too. But when it's not an option (and often it's not) I opt for the extreme that is real rather than the extreme which is not.

What I mean is when people love something that is not you, the love is hollow and unfulfilling. Be you. The best you you can be, of course, but presenting yourself as anyting else ends up robbing others of the opportunity to know you and honestly relate to you. How they relate to you is beyond your control, but you can know that however they relate to you they are doing so from a basis of who you are. If it's negative, well, you can determine at that point if their negative reaction is reason enough for you to change yourself.

[ March 07, 2006, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helion A. I.
Member # 9223

- posted      Profile for Helion A. I.   Email Helion A. I.         Edit/Delete Post 
K. No more En Mass Insults or any other kind. But the remark about me sounding like a bad Shakespearean actor was just not right.

I sound more like Edgar A. Poe when I talk like that. [Wink]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Then perhaps we have not learned the same lessons Karl. From what I see no one is ever loved for what they truly are in there heart of hearts. They are loved for how others percieve them to be. Not for what they really are to themselves.

Well by my best guess I have 20 years of lessons on you, so you still have time. [Wink]

But seriously, what you wrote in the quote above is a problem for many people. The only way to fix this is to make sure what you present is as close to what you are, in your heart of hearts as you can possibly make it. To the degree that you acheive this, then the deficiency in perception is on the part of others. It becomes their responsibility (if they love truth) to learn to perceive better. If they don't love truth, then it really doesn't matter what they think.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

One last bit of unsolicited advice: I liked the Advent screen name better than the alts you have come up with since. I'd suggest just going with that one regardless of the baggage it has.

I haven't written a "I forgive you" post for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that all the drama isn't worth my time, but even if I were to write one, I'd wait for you to settle down so I'd know which of all the alternates is the real one. I'm not going to get emotionally invested in a screenname, but I might risk the investment in the person behind one. You might want to keep one name long enough for the person behind it to come into focus so people can decide if you're worth the investment.

/my 2 cents

Helion A. I.
Member # 9223

I hope I can learn at least the lesson that keeps you so happy Karl

EDIT: The only reason I am still writing with this name on here is so I can pay attention to this thread at the same time I am watching others.

KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
I hope I can learn at least the lesson that keeps you so happy Karl

Quite honestly, if I have a secret to happiness, I've just posted it on this thread. That's truly how I try to live my life. It's not easy, and I've learned just as often that the negative reactions I've gotten from others are deserved as I have the contrary. But if I didn't know who I was I wouldn't know what parts of me I needed to change in order to be a better person.

Life is feedback. You can't trust the feedback if you aren't being real.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Life is feedback. You can't trust the feedback if you aren't being real.

Karl, I think you're my new hero. I like this one even more than I liked the love vs hate line. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings "Did You Ever Know That Your My Hero" in background* [Wink]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you mocking, Advent?

I don't think that's helping your case at all.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he was playing. At least, that's how I read it with the winking smiley in effect.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the remark about me sounding like a bad Shakespearean actor was just not right.

I sound more like Edgar A. Poe when I talk like that. [Wink]

No, you sound more like you're trying to sound like Edgar Allen Poe. [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
What I mean is when people love something that is not you, the love is hollow and unfulfilling.

Amen. I've found to be too true so often in my short life. I can act in such a way that everyone (or nearly everyone) likes me, enjoys being around me, trusts me ... all that kind of stuff. Some would even go so far as to love me. But that always leaves me feeling rotten. Gives me headaches. I am never satisfied with that kind of love. And for me personally, I can either try to get more people to like the fake me, hoping that someone will truly love me (bad idea), or I can find who I truly am, and be that (good idea). When I be me, occaisonally it will inspire hostile feelings, but more often then not the result is indifference. But there are some who truly care for me, and let me tell ya ... there is no better feeling on this earth.

Except for a good MLT. Mutton Lettuce and Tomato. So perky. [Razz]

And Advent ... I like what ... someone said. I don't remember right now. But basically, the absolute best way to get people to respect you, accept you, notice you without cursing ... whatever it is you desire ... is to contribute to the Hatrack community. I am still integrating myself into Hatrack myself, so don't ask me specifically what contributing entails (one of you oldtimers wanna start a thread about that?), but don't do what this thread advises not to do, and I'd say you're on the right track.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
If you keep on being so negative about my posts, my solution will be to send you to a little place the French like to call L'Hopital.

L'Hopital rules!!!
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Apply a B list actor's Shakespearean accent to all of Helion's posts and it really makes for some amusing reading.
*snort* You're right.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
*rolls eyes* Okay, maybe I do sound like that. But then again I think that thats giving me way too much credit.

And El JT, I was both joking and feeling that way myself. I mean what Karl was saying really did have thta kind of affect. (plus I thought it was really funny for some reason that Nell started saying things like that, I'm not really sure why it was so funny to me but it just was)

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Great insights, Karl.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Well said, Karl! (As usual. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Here I am, innocently checking Hatrack, and now I am all distracted. [Smile]

*steals Karl's philosophy and distributes bootlegs to friends via lj-post*

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Derail alert!

Y'know, whoever said in the FAQ thread for newbies that it's a good idea to lurk first had a point. If you want to find joy in Hatrack, have a look at the pregnancy and marriage threads, the landmarks, Belle's cancer thread, the planning threads for meeting up in real life, the cooking threads, even the debate threads in which people still do speak with passion and listen with respect. What makes Hatrack special is exactly what Karl said - we care about the people behind the screen names. Emotions run high here precisely because we DO care.

Hatrack is like any community - you have to get to know it a bit before leaping in with both feet. There is an unwritten "way we do things here" which it's sort of hard to grasp initially but which really does work - it's what has kept me here for the last eight years.

/end derail.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To which I reply "Why would a caged wolf hold still? So that the hunters might have cleaner kill? I would prefer to be on the move, rather than give any one hunter a clearer shot at my heart."
To which, in turn, I'd reply that Hatrackers are not hunters out to kill you. It is entirely possible, even likely, that the reason they complain about your post is because they think doing so will help you write better posts.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think so, but, to be clear, that doesn't make it selfless/altruistic. We want people to write better posts so that we can enjoy them more. [Smile]

(Antecedent deliberately left unclear.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Once again, I'm better now. I had some sort of delusional state yesterday.

I'm fine now. But I think that line is both a little funny and kind of deep. But mostly funny.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had some sort of delusional state yesterday.
No, you didn't.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Okay, how about a pathetic deppressed state? Does that explain it better?

But like I said, I'm better now. [The Wave]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Good. [Smile] Hope the day continues to rock for you.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Same here Claudia, same here.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You know this thread is really beating a dead horse now. It's time to let it die.

Advent/Helios, If you really want to become a respected member of this community, you need to show us that you are worthy of respect by contributing honestly and respectfully to many threads over an extended period of time. If you do that, people here will forgive you. Its happened with others.

Continuing this thread is counter productive. It just reinforces the idea that you are here to cause a stir or get attention.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

....okay. I thought that thats what I was doing in the Bartending 101 thread.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Great, then you are on your way.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Very much so. And Advent, when you're ready, regale us with textbook information about one of the red wines. (Which one sounds most interesting to you, and why?)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Sure. My favorite style of Red Wine is Merlot. Last time I had it was at my sisters wedding 4 or 5 years ago. I like it because it has a great textue, low on the acidity, and it has a dry flavor to it.

Not that I've had any since then (no occations worthy of it).

"Merlot is a popular red wine due to its soft, lush, and easy to drink nature"

"If you are new to red wines Merlot is a great place to start"

But as far as the most interesting sounding I would have to say that is the Pinot Noir style.

""Pinot Noir is valued for its fruit flavor, often tasting of berries, and its velvety smooth feel in the mouth"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.