FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LDS and infertility - support request (edit: and book research too)

Author Topic: LDS and infertility - support request (edit: and book research too)
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine from another forum is LDS and dealing with issues relating to premature ovarian failure and the church. She's looking to connect with other people who are or were in her situation. If there's anyone here (or anyone knows someone) who would be willing to "talk" to her, she and I would both greatly appreciate it.

My email is in my profile. Please email me for her contat information - neither of us want to put hers out in public view for obvious reasons.

edit to add: A message from Nicole and for full disclosure

"I am writing (or compiling) a book about the experiences of both men and women in the church who are experiencing infertility. Because of the culture of the church, infertility is generally unspoken of and couples who experience it are left to feel quite alone in their challenges. I hope, in compiling this book, that a) members who do not struggle with infertility have their eyes opened to what we experience, and b) those who feel alone in their struggles have a resource and know that they are not alone. All participants will be granted complete anonymity if they do not wish to share who they are, as I recognize the delicacy of the topic. I would appreciate also having participants (or non-participants) share this with anyone who might be interested in participating - anyone who is LDS and has experienced (or currently experiences) infertility."

[ March 08, 2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, I'd be willing to talk with her.

I think.

On second thought, the most likely outcome of such an interaction could be a double suicide.

No. I'm very interested in talking with her really.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm probably the only one here who fits that bill. I'll email you immediately.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, I'm an LDS woman in her mid-forties who can't hasn't been able to have children, so you are no the only one here who fits the bill.

While my infertility problems aren't due to premature ovarian failure, I don't think the source of infertility is the central problem for an LDS woman.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several sisters who struggle with infertility over at Nauvoo.

Here's a website for LDS folks with fertility struggles; they have mailing lists, looks like.

2ofus4now is a website dealing with the issue that I've heard is really wonderful from friends who've needed support. There's also a Yahoo group.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, The Rabbit, thanks. Didn't know that.

I was referring specifically to the premature ovarian failure bit, not the infertility bit. I wasn't meaning to insult or anything.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

It's OK quid. I know you weren't meaning to insult or anything. This is a hypersensitive issue for me so I tend to over react.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies, thank you! I've forwarded emails received to Nicole as well as links to this thread and to Nauvoo. We truly do have a wonderful group here.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The Rabbit, I'm sorry you have a difficult time with this issue. That's no fun. [Frown] It doesn't bother me much at all, but I never really had a desire to have children. OTOH, I have other major issues, so I guess it all evens out.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, and Goody, I'm over at Nauvoo as well. I'm... quidscribis there, too. [Smile]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not LDS, but if she ever wants to talk about infertility in general, I'm happy to do so.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

bump to update. Nicole emailed me with further information about her project, and that's added to teh first post in the interest of full disclosure She also told me she's been in contact with a couple of you already, and again I pass on my thanks for your assistance. I suspect that her book will turn out to be helpful to anyone going through infertility, not just members of the Mormon church.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.