FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'd Never Heard of This Before... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I'd Never Heard of This Before...
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I have alot of those symptoms. I'm also diagnosed with ADD, and when it comes to certain things, I have OCD. I'm very introverted, but I try desperately to be more extroverted. I'm INTP, too.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
There was a kid at church in my primary class with Asperger's who also had facial blindness. (He couldn't recognize faces.)

Face blindness is prosopagnosia. As someone who is affected, I can tell you that it can be a social handicap. Imagine seeing people who are your friends, who greet you by name, and you can't figure out who they are. Imagine having trouble recognizing your co-workers. I try to cover by smiling and greeting everyone, and then trying to figure out who they are by other cues (lots of times, when people start talking, things fall into place).

I'm pretty good at recognizing people's hairdos, but when they try a new style, they are like a stranger to me.

I have long been attracted to people who are physically different. This may be because their differences make it easy for me to recognize them and be natural around them without having to cover up the fact that I don't know who they are.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, since I suffer from a very mild form of prosopagnosia myself, and I too am attracted to faces with strong, obvious features.

I remember as a child embarassing myself because I called one classmate by the name of the other because I perceived them as looking the same. I tend to remember clothing, so once someone changes clothes, if their face is not very memorable to me, I worry that I will forget what they look like.

It *is* socially crippling even in mild form.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
We should begin a Prosopagnosiacs Society. If only we could recognize each other.

beverly, don't you think this world would be a much better place if everyone was required by law to wear a prominently displayed name tag at all times?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...it's not normal to have trouble recognizing someone you've seen only a couple of times? I often don't recognize people until I've seen them enough for the image to be firmly in my mind, or they have distinguishing features. And I get people mixed up frequently if they look too much alike (especially with similar hair colors).

And yes, everyone should wear a nametag. Actually, since I'm a visual learner, that's one trick I use to help me remember names...I imagine them wearing a name tag. Seeing the name in conjunction with their face helps me remember the connection.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Tante, that would make my life *sooo* much easier!

My biggest worry is the inevitable offense others feel if they think I ought to remember their face and I don't.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get offended at that. I might if my own mother didn't recognize me, but that's never happened. People forget names all the time, so it probably makes them feel better that they aren't the only one.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I'd be pulling ideas out of nowhere any more reputable, myself. [Smile]

But, yeah, I'm an ENFP. More specifically, I'm overwhelmingly EP and just barely NF (usually only a point or two to either side, but typically tending NF depending on mood). I don't know if there's a personality type for that. *laugh*

Oh my gosh, Tom. You're like my extroverted doppelganger.

I had about the same reaction as Porter: I recognized a lot of these traits as beings ones that I have, even if they're very mild. However, then I got down to the "Definitions and diagnostic criteria" section of that Wikipedia article and realized that I don't actually meet all the criteria.

And even though I may have some traits in common with this syndrome, I wouldn't consider myself impaired in any way.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I guess I feel bad because I don't think I've ever had someone forget my face, even if some might forget my name. I must just have one of those faces.
beverly
Member # 6246

Those "Definitions" were what convinced me that Porter fit the bill.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And even though I may have some traits in common with this syndrome, I wouldn't consider myself impaired in any way.
Nerd. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I just meant that it's not extreme enough that it affects my ability to make friends or communicate or things like that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't really related, but its a news story about a kid with autism. I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.break.com/index/autisticbball.html

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say that those personality traits do affecty my ability to communicate and get along with people.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I don't get offended at that.

OK, but try to imagine a co-worker that you've known for 4 years snubbing you for no reason. And you would never know that it is because you got a perm and now she doesn't know who you are.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, in that case, after you figured out who that coworker was, would you tell her about the facial blindness? If so, does that ever help so that people know what to do to help you?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, been there, snubbed people. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I have ADHD (diagnosed) and OCD (diagnosed by everyone who spends any time with me, though not by a professional.) Some of the Asperger's traits fit me, though most peple who know me would say I don't have the social issues. But it's kind of an act- I have always felt there are some rules that everyone but me gets.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I know of Asperger's, most people who are diagnosed would not be able to cover it up, like an act to keep themselves from appearing sociallly lacking.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if there's an online diagnostic test for Asperger's? I have at least half of the symptoms mentioned in that article.

It's nice to know there's a reason for it other than sheer geekiness. [Wink]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's something I would want diagnosed through an online test, much of it is based on observation rather than experience.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have ADHD (diagnosed) and OCD (diagnosed by everyone who spends any time with me, though not by a professional.)
God, I can't imagine how awful that would be. You feel compelled to wash your hands all the time, but you keep getting distracted before you finish. *shudder*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who thinks they may be mildly Asperger's, you might want to look into NLD - Nonverbal Learning Disorder.

Basically, things that aren't language-specific become more difficult to process. So, while someone's words may convey a ton of meaning, their facial expressions or ironic tone may be missed entirely.

I've taught both Aspergers Syndrome students and NLD students, and there are many similar indicators - though the Aspergers students tended to draw more attention to their difficulties fitting in.

[ March 08, 2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have ADHD (diagnosed) and OCD (diagnosed by everyone who spends any time with me, though not by a professional.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God, I can't imagine how awful that would be. You feel compelled to wash your hands all the time, but you keep getting distracted before you finish. *shudder*

This is as true as it is funny.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Beer Expedition, Flying Cow? Maybe *I* have a NLD. [Big Grin]
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Huh?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Your NLD link came up as Beer Expedition Denver, Colorado Breweries.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

LOL. Sorry... hehe.

Let's try this again. Where's the Ctrl+V thread when you need it?

Here you go. I'll fix the link in the other post, too.

[Blushing]

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

[ROFL]
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

NLD is a very recently diagnosed problem. I learned a lot about it from a teacher in my school last year whose daughter was NLD.

Apparently, students diagnosed with NLD have a very high rate of suicide in their preteen years, because they don't understand the rapidly changing relationships and feel abandoned by their elementary school friends.

Those that make it through often find careers that allow them to avoid human contact, often with computers. The internet has been a wonderful outlet for NLD students.

On a related note, both my NLD and Asperger's parents found that The Sims was helpful in developing social "cause and effect" relationships in a nonthreatening environment.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by signal:
Does anyone know if there's a connection between Asperger's and personality type? The reason I'm asking is because there are a few similarities between Asperger's and the INTJ Keirsey personality type."

According to Wikipedia

"There seems to be a strong correlation between those with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism (HFA) and the INTP type of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): description 1, description 2. Another theory states that Asperger's correlates to the INTP personality type, whereas high functioning autism correlates to the INFJ personality type."

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm INTP (solidly, never varied) and I don't have any of the Asperger traits. *shrug*

There is a student in my major with Asperger: he comes in late and slumps almost if he is asleep, and will blurt out the answers, every so often, without raising his hand. He definitely does not make eye contact.

I really do believe he has a disorder as he communicates just fine online and ruefully recognizes his inability to perform and adapt to social situations. I can't say it's been easy for him...

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to a friend today and he told me he was diagnosed with Asperger's in 3rd grade. I'm not suprised at all, after reading the symptoms.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
Tante, in that case, after you figured out who that coworker was, would you tell her about the facial blindness?

No, I rarely admit it. I just cover for it, and act really nice and friendly once I figure it out. And I apologise for the snub, saying that I was distracted by something, and I hope that offense wasn't taken.

I HAVE been accused of being racist, because I can't tell Asians, Indians, and Blacks apart. I can sputter in protest all I want that I can't tell white folk apart, either, and I'm white, but my inability to recognise faces does make me suspect.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, studies have shown that white people are better at recognizing white faces, but have a hard time with other races. Those same studies show that blacks can identify blacks but not other races, Asians can identify Asians but not other races, and so on. So if you're racist on that basis, then so is everyone else!

I've now read over the NLD description, and that DEFINITELY ain't me. Nope, I'm back to Aspergers. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you ever not recognize your own face like in a mirror? Also, are you affected when you look at photographs? I'm such a visual person and if I was ever like that, I think I'd go insane. It must be so frustrating.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, well, try having amnesia. That's way frustrating. [Big Grin]
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
studies have shown that white people are better at recognizing white faces, but have a hard time with other races. Those same studies show that blacks can identify blacks but not other races, Asians can identify Asians but not other races, and so on. So if you're racist on that basis, then so is everyone else!

I think it has more to do with which races you grew up seeing the most often rather than which race you are.

I'm Asian, but for the first 18 years of my life I lived in a small town that I'm guessing was about 97% white and 2.99% Hispanic (my mom and I made up the other 0.01%). I'm bad with faces to begin with, but I've noticed that I have a harder time recognizing blacks and Asians. I can never tell any of my Filipino cousins apart in pictures, and it takes me a really long time to be sure of who is who when we're together in person. I usually depend on hairstyles or height rather than their faces.

/slight derailment

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nell, you're right. I should have added that.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Yeah, well, try having amnesia. That's way frustrating. [Big Grin]

You remember having amnesia? Huh.

I'm not sure about recognizing my own face. I mean, who else could it be in the mirror wearing my clothes? It's GOT to be me. In a group photo, I can pick myself out, but I think it takes me longer than it should.

I can recognize people that I know intimately. But it may take me a few beats if they are out of context. Even my own son. I will see him walking towards me, when we are outside of the home, and until he comes close enough that his face lights with recognition of mine, he looks like some boy, but not MY boy. If I am actively searching for him, though, I can recognise him before he sees me.

He has been taught from a young age not to embarrass me by asking to be introduced to someone that I am speaking with. He understands that a lot of the time, I'm just covering, and I have no idea who it is that I'm talking to.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, Tante, I STILL HAVE the amnesia. As in, I'm still missing huge chunks of time, as in years, where I remember nothing. Or, um, years worth of memories. Or something. *confused*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You poor dear! Emotional trauma or traumatic brain injury can do that. Neither one is a treat. My heart goes out to you.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Eh, I'm okay. [Smile] It happened a long time ago and I'm used to it and all the odd side effects. But thanks. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Glad you're OK. You DO remember how awesome you look in a Salwar Kameez, don't you?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so strongly N on the MBTI, that I am at the point where I almost cannot learn from textbooks. They spell it out so plainly that my brain rejects it. I learn best when I have to infer meaning from the text.

I'm also really, really bad at math problems. If you were to put even a simple algebraic equation in front of me, I'd have a hard time solving it. But if you used the same principle in a word problem, I wouldn't have a problem figuring it out. This is one of the reasons I always did well in Physics classes, but terribly in Calculus.

When this happens, I feel like I have to almost force my brain to do it. It's one of the few times where I feel like I cannot do something. Most of the time, I can just wing it, but I feel as though I'm fighting some kind of huge mental block that I cannot surmount.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Tante, have you even seen me in a shalwaar?

I got the three shalwaars back from the seamstress - the pink cotton one with aqua and purple embroidery, the aqua cotton-silk one with lots of beadwork for the wedding, and the purple one with lots of beadwork for the groom's feast after the wedding. And, um, yeah, they look okay on me. [Wink]

I'll have to take pictures and post 'em sometime. [Razz]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I haven't seen you in the outfits, honey, but I, myself, own three salwars kameezes (or whatever the plural is), and where I live in New Jersey it is a very common thing to see women wearing them. I'm just assuming that you look terrific in it. Everyone does. And I can't resist playing with my dupatta, either.

(just wait -- someone's going to stick that last line in the out-of-context thread)

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Tante, I love that your default assumption is that I look terrific in them. [Kiss] You are a dear!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw man. I don't have any type of disorder, and my personality's so bland, I failed the Briggs-Meyer test.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Poor Scott. *pat pat*
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.