FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Synesthesia....

Author Topic: Synesthesia....
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a person here whose username is Synesthesia...and I was wondering, does your name connect to the brain disorder? The reason I ask is becasue I'm trying to do a science project on synesthesia, and I find it very interesting. Do you have synesthesia yourself?
I don't know much about it yet, but basically what it is, is a brain disorder where your senses are mixed up. For example you could see music or taste words. Also, letters or numbers are certain colors, so maybe every time you see the letter A it's red. For example. Most people have one or two symptoms of synesthesia but I think the full blown disorder is fairly rare. (Like my bio teacher hasn't even heard of it). I've always assosiated colors with the days of the week, but this is as close to synesthesia as I can get. I think it would be very cool to actually have it. (Monday is blue (obviously), Friday is brown, Tuesday is red...I'm not sure about the rest).
So tell me, Synesthesia, is that why its your username??

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if she's around right now, but Synestasia has said before that she does have synestesia.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not as exactly a disorder, more like a lovely sort of variation.
I can see colours in music, taste it, feel it and smell it and I do other weird things.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, many of the musical genuises in Western culture (Mozart, Beethoven, etc.) had synesthesia.

Actually, a lot of people with perfect pitch report a kind of synethesia with the music: they see different notes as different colors. *envy*

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that [Big Grin]
I think I have good pitch, but I can't read music though.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting I had never heard of this before. Sounds interesting.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn -- did you ever read the story "Empire of Ice Cream" which deals with synestasia?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I did. It was so cool!

The ending was a bit sad to me though, but it did rock.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I agree -- that ending was not easy to swallow.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think synesthesia as an experience is more common than is often thought. I know, for example, that I physically experience words and often associate them -- on a level I'm not consciously able to express -- with mental colors, based on their location and usage. This doesn't happen to me with music at all, but a page of prose or poetry can "fill" my head with color. But perhaps color isn't quite the right word for what I see; it's more the sense of a color, the essence of a color. I can look at a word, for example, and say "oh, that word is orange." And that word will always be essentially orange, and I will always kind of feel the same things I feel when I see other things that are orange.

This was actually why I was a good copy editor, because I perceive typos on a semi-physical level. They don't come across as a color so much as a sort of wrongness, a kind of "un-color" that, if I were really pressed to give it a color, I'd call a livid grey. If such a thing could exist.

And having discussed this with a few people, I find it doesn't appear to be that rare. I wonder if most people who've dabbled in the arts have exercised subconscious connections between their most-used methods of perception.

That said, TRUE synesthesia -- an actual melding of the senses -- DOES appear to be fairly rare, and at its most severe is supposed to be almost crippling (and certainly nothing to envy).

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
In poetry, synesthesia refers to describing one sensory experience with one totally unrelated to it, such as "the taste of the lightning"

Side note: If you perceive a taste in distant lightning, Epictetus would be very interested to know what you've been smoking and would ask that you send a bundle discretely to his address. [Wink]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I mostly have trouble with pink and orange together
I makes me feel so weird...
People have scents, songs all have smells and tastes, some concepts have a smell and taste too.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always associated colors with numbers, letters, days of the week, etc. That might have been because when teaching such things in early schooling, bright colors are used. I dunno.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Coolness.
I just can't do letter synesthesia, and I hate numbers.
But I can taste words.
So that's cool.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I understand what you are saying. I think that associating one thing with something totally unrelated is very common. Many musicians I know can say that one chord feels warm, another cold, for example (just an example, everyone would have a different feeling). It's not a physical actual heat or cold, but an association that is almost a feeling.

I do not, at least in a way I could possibly consider explaining or conjure up without actually experiencing. The only thing I know is that music does not do that kind of thing for me!

However I do not think that you could fairly call such an experience synesthesia...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender12
Member # 8873

- posted      Profile for Ender12   Email Ender12         Edit/Delete Post 
this is very intersting! i have never heard of this. Syn, what are some of the tastes that come with certain words?
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia, you bring new meaning to the phrase eating one's words.

So, how does music taste?

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
It's not as exactly a disorder, more like a lovely sort of variation.
I can see colours in music, taste it, feel it and smell it and I do other weird things.

Some completely unrelated to synesthesia. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I want to know how I smell over the internet. [Wink]
Epictetus
Member # 6235

Like the breeze off a landfill [Smile]
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

At least I know now.
Epictetus
Member # 6235

It's always best to confront the truth head on. For your sake though, I'll start working on a way to transmit Aqua di Gio and Old Spice via http.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It depends on the song, they all taste different and the textures are all different.
Except when you get bands that just put out the same song.

Some words are sort of salty. Like spikey or something. Words with that sound tend to be a bit salty. I got to find an explicit way to explain this...

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw soomething about synesthesia on TV once, and there was a guy who had to break up with his girlfriend because her name tasted so bad.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered one little neurological oddity about myself last year, when I briefly tried going swimming in the mornings before work. The chlorine in the gym's pool was so strong that I still smelled a little like it even after a shower, and on the days that I went around smelling like chlorine, I would have phantom sunburn pain on my neck and shoulders. I guess it's just an association from years of swimming in outdoor pools as a kid and never remembering sunscreen.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.