FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A note regarding Introductions and Landmarks

Author Topic: A note regarding Introductions and Landmarks
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to start this out by saying it is not meant to be critical of any of the posters who have recently started landmark threads. In all cases, I've been glad of the chance to get to know you better, and happy that you feel comfortable enough here to share some more personal information about yourself.

However, the landmark tradition is something that is, as far as I'm aware, unique to Hatrack, and I think you may not have fully understood it when you started your posts.

A landmark thread is not usually an introduction thread. It's great when someone who is relatively new here starts an introduction thread, so the established posters can get to know them a little better when they start replying. Some people do it as their very first post, others wait until they're a little more comfortable with the community. I think it helps you feel a "part" of Hatrack sooner, because when people know more about you they have more background with which to interprete your posts, plus many people respond more frequently to posters they feel they "know." That's why it often seems like there are cliques on the boards -- there are groups of people who tend to read the same types of threads, so they get to know each other better, and so respond to each other more often.

An introduction thread tells a little about yourself, and gives everyone a chance to say "Hi" and "Welcome to Hatrack." Here's mine.

A landmark thread, by contrast, usually comes much later. The very first one was posted at 1000 posts, but back then people didn't reach 1000 posts in a long weekend. It usually tells a story the poster considers important to his or her personal history. It is a post that takes time to write, because it is special and important, both to the poster and to the people who read it. Often it is a chance for that person to open up more than they ever have before, sometimes just at Hatrack, sometimes at all. Sometimes people do them to announce important events in their life -- a wedding engagement, graduation, moving to a new place. Here is an example of a landmark thread used to tell about someone's life so far, as they were about to take a big step forward. Here is one that deals with self-relevation.

Here is the landmark archieve. I urge our newer posters to take a look around, and especially to go back and read some of the older ones. Landmark threads are archieved forever. They are important, so we don't want them to fall off the end of the board, as all other threads do. They usually mean something every personal to the person who wrote them, and are frequently very meaningful to others as well.

There are no rules about what can and cannot be called a landmark. If, after reading some other people's landmarks, you still feel that you want your recent thread to be a landmark, that's your choice. But I hope you will consider changing them to introduction threads instead. And in a year or two, or four, or whenever you feel you have something really important to say, I look forward to reading your landmarks. [Smile]

Liza

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, ELJay.

Maybe some day I will even get around to writing my first Landmark thread as well.
[Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I haven't done one yet, either. [Smile] It's not time yet.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
No Landmarks from either of you? Well, I can tell you that they'd be much appreciated, if and when they come.

I was thinking much the same thing, ElJay, as I was reading through the day's posts. How neat to get to know our newer folks, though.

[Hat]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
I haven't done one yet, either. [Smile] It's not time yet.

Of course it's not time. You're still a newbie.

[Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I did one for 1K, but not for 2K. I like even numbers.

Plus, I just figured that if I came right out with a landmark no one would know who I was. If I was gonna add anything to what ElJay's said, it would be that by writing a landmark with considerably more thought, time, and effort than would go into a regular post, they stay special, almost hallowed.

I started writing my landmark in my head at around post #700, which meant it was fully 6 weeks before I actually set my fingers to the keys to start typing it. But I also loved (and still love) to go to the landmark archive and read everybody's landmarks. A lot of people who are still around, and a lot of people who aren't. But, when you read their landmarks you feel like you really know them.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I did one for 1k, too. The difference is that getting to 1k too me 961 days. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I did a really wrenching (but cathartic) post after my mother's death, then one about me (at 5000 posts and [4] years) and again at a year after my mother's death. The last few years have been some of the most difficult of my life, but there was a lot of good, too. I had the need to document it, but I don't know if that will come up again, for me.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Of course it's not time. You're still a newbie.

[Wink]

Well, duh. [Razz]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't do mine till 3K, though I expect I'll do another one next month as it will be my 5th aniversary...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I did them at 1 year, and 20 months, also 1 and 2k. And I tried to make mine "different" not that there's anything with the form "this is how I'm me" type, the ones that tell an interesting story, are done in a different format, use pictures, music, or something else entirely, are the best.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with pretty much everything ElJay had to say there, even if she didn't use my landmark as an example. *smile* Truth be told, someone else's landmark is still my favorite.

For all those who have written recent landmarks, the threads are in my list for archiving. If anyone would choose to re-categorize his/her thread as not being a landmark, just change the thread title to remove the word landmark (as one person already did -- perhaps you could reply here or e-mail me so I know I did the right thing), or let me know via e-mail (best to send it to papajanitor@hatrack.com probably), and I'll take it off the list.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
At the rate I'm going, I won't be deserving of a Landmark until 2011.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*grin* I don't think "deserving of" is the right term. "Ready for" works much better for me, 'cause I think it's all about when you are ready to do it. Anyone who's been here over two years can make a landmark at any post number they please, as far as I'm concerned.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That implies you think they should wait two years, which I don't think is what you mean.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Well, I'm saying if you wait two years I think it doesn't matter what your post count is. I'd even say if you wait one year it doesn't matter what your post count is. If you've been here less than one year and have less than 1000 posts, I'm honestly probably not going to be too interested in reading your landmark, because I'm probably not going to feel like I know you well enough to be emotionally invested in what you have to say, and for me that's what landmarks are for. I, personally, don't think you can be sufficiently invested in the community at three months to write a landmark.

Any line I draw based on numbers is going to be arbitrary, and there are going to be exceptions to it. So what I was trying to say was that two years is well on the "been here long enough to write a landmark" side of the line, no matter how you draw it.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ok, I agree, i was just being bratty, since you said a time later than when I posted my first, well actually, a time later than both you and i have been here now (i think, I'll click on your reg date in a minute).
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I, uh, try to time my landmarks. [Blushing]

1000 came at 4 years, 2000 at 6. Silly stuff like that - I find the combination of duration of time and total posts a nice way to say stuff about me.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
. . . a time later than both you and i have been here now . . .

*grin* And you'll notice I haven't posted a landmark. [Wink] But yeah, I knew you were just pickin'. But I thought I should clarify for others who might have taken my statement the way you pretended to.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ok good. I have an idea of when you could post a landmark, but I'll shush.
ElJay
Member # 6358

I appreciate that. But I'll add don't hold your breath. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

heh
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to bet my first landmark will come around May of this year- I'm estimating to be around 1k at that time, as well as my 18th birthday and my graduation. Big time in my life, that there.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning my landmark for July. I should be near 1K by then, it will mark my 1 year reg date, and I'll be turning 18/graduating/moving out.

Wow. Listing all that stuff out .... [Dont Know] . I'm kinda nervous.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually posted a landmark. I don't think I have anything important enough to be said in one.

I've started several, though. [Smile] Whenever something central to my life is causing me a lot of turmoil, I tend to start a hatrack landmark discussing it. I never post them, or even finish them, but they really help me. Often, they take the form of a life history that is skewed towards events that are important to me. I can reread it and see where I'm being illogical or uneven in my thinking and get things straightened out.

But so far nothing has ever been important enough for me to actually post a landmark about it. Honestly, I can't imagine anything that would be. I sort of feel like landmarks are works of art, and I haven't created anything beautiful enough yet. I'm not even sure I'm capable, at this point in my life, of creating something beautiful enough.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I tend to start a hatrack landmark discussing it. I never post them, or even finish them, but they really help me.
Ah yes. For me, livejournal plays this role. The joys of self-analysis-through-technology. [Smile]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say that the landmarks, especially the well-thought-out ones in the tradition that ElJay described, have been my favorite thing about the Hatrack community so far. I love reading people's stories. I've gone into the archives and read a few there. And I'm still waiting with baited breath for the next installment of "Pennies"!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the landmark tradition, but I admit I like the landmark that are, you know, marking something more than others.

I have written two - one at 10,000 (about my mother) and one at 20,000 (about the future plans).

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, reading this thread made me realize that a) I remember when ElJay signed in and I wondered how long dkw's sister was going to hang around. And she's totally a Hatrack presence. *laugh*

To me it seems like she's only been here for a little while. But I'm starting to realize that my perception of Hatrack time is very warped. *laugh*

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I can't believe it actually has been 2 years since my last landmark. It was quite amusing to go back and read it. [Smile] Now I'll have to dig out my first one. *digs*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done landmarks twice, both when an event that hit me as profound and made me reflect upon myself happened to coincide with a specific number of posts, not, you know, necessarily one you think of as "even", but one that you "notice".

I am kinda fond of them both. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
I've never actually posted a landmark. I don't think I have anything important enough to be said in one.

I've started several, though. [Smile] Whenever something central to my life is causing me a lot of turmoil, I tend to start a hatrack landmark discussing it. I never post them, or even finish them, but they really help me. Often, they take the form of a life history that is skewed towards events that are important to me. I can reread it and see where I'm being illogical or uneven in my thinking and get things straightened out.

But so far nothing has ever been important enough for me to actually post a landmark about it. Honestly, I can't imagine anything that would be. I sort of feel like landmarks are works of art, and I haven't created anything beautiful enough yet. I'm not even sure I'm capable, at this point in my life, of creating something beautiful enough.

Do you still have those half-finished landmarks? It occurs to me that even if you don't consider any of them quite landmark-worthy in their own right, I think it would be really cool to see them compiled together into one landmark post (I guess it wouldn't necessarily have to be a landmark). Kind of a collage of significant historical snapshots, none of which quite tells a complete story. I think that could be really beautiful if you felt you could share it with us.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never done a real landmark. I did one when I accumulated 500 posts on the username Diosmel Duda, but basically all it did was explain why I was retiring Diosmel and using Brinestone (and I gushed about Jon Boy some because it was right around when we got married). At that point, I had been on Hatrack for two years.

I almost did one when Brinestone got 1000 posts (two years later), but I didn't have anything to say and the time wasn't right. The second 1000 seems to be going a lot faster, and I haven't decided whether or not to do one when I get to 2000. Maybe.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.