FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I can't even think of a title.

Author Topic: I can't even think of a title.
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
About half an hour ago I got home froms school. I was walking along, reading (incidentally, Enchantment). On my block up ahead I saw a guy and a girl who I didn't recognize just seeming to fool around. Then after I passed I realized he was holding onto her wrist and she was saying "I can't I have to write an essay" then he said "You can write it at my house." I don't know. She seemed like she really didn't want to go and it seemed like he was trying to force her to and it seemed like all I did was walk away reading about young Ivan even though I couldn't concentrate anymore.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender12
Member # 8873

- posted      Profile for Ender12   Email Ender12         Edit/Delete Post 
there is nothing that you could have done in this situation (if that's what your worried about), maybe if the circumstances where different like " Come over to my house, my parents aren't home so we can use their bed" and it seemed like she really did not want to go, then maybe you could say something. even if you decided not to I don't think that is a bad choice either because it is her choice and her consequence.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have asked, "Do you need any help?" And if she said no, I would have gone along. If she said yes, I'd ask what I could do to help.

With my luck, though, I'd land up proofreading an essay.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather proofread her essay than have to fight her grumpy boyfriend.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
From what you said, not only doesn't it sound like you should have done anything, it doesn't sound like any of your business. If the girl were pulling away or struggling or making loud verbal protest, it would have been different, but in the situation you described, you'd be wrong if you butted in. In my opinion.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
(do we have two of these threads or am I losing my mind?)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
(there are two.)
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
(do we have two of these threads or am I losing my mind?)

(Why is this an either/or question? [Wink] )
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
(and why is this derailment [as opposed to the 5743895743 others] in parentheses? The mind boggles. I just can't take it anymore.)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! <---outside the bars [Wink]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(I don't know. I just followed the crowd. Baaaa!)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally would have done something. I would have first of all looked at the guy in astonishment, like "is it possible that you are really doing what it seems like you are doing?" then I would have looked at the girl in a questioning way like "I'm thinking of coming to your rescue here, do you need me to?", then I would have looked very pointedly at his hand on her wrist, and tried to discern how much force he was using. Then I might have said "Hi, what's going on?" in a tone that said in a friendly way, "You've just been busted." Then they would both probably say "nothing, we're fine" or something to that effect, but it would have hopefully given her position a big boost and deflated his. If she actually talked to me, then I would feel she was glad for the interruption and I would chat with them for a while, or walk along with them, and try to give her a way to gracefully exit the situation.

I guess I can handle it like this because I would be the parental figure stepping in. If I were a peer, I would handle it as though I were oblivious of what was going on between them and just bob up and say "Hi, guys! What's going on?" and see how it played out.

I tend to jump in and take responsibility when I see people being bullied or abused in any way, now. This is because when I was a child, I was abused quite a bit until I was around 16, and nobody, not all the adults or parents or anyone, stepped in and stopped it. It's hard to know what to do, sometimes, and we have this instinct not to interfere, but I think it's really important that people understand they are accountable to everyone for how they treat anyone. It *is* our problem.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lot of looking in various expressions, Tatiana. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. When I said that I would ask "Do you need any help?", I failed no mention that I would also be looking at them, and that my eyebrows would be acrobatically semaphoring all kinds of messages.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
It would depend a LOT on their body language and tone of voice.

The holding on the wrist is a little worrisome, but could just as easily be innocent.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks everyone.It kind of makes me feel better.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
That situatoin doesn't seem at all out of place to me. He very well coulda just been trying to get her to come hang out with their mutual friends instead of burying herself in her homework.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's amazing how much of making people behave is in the facial expression and tone. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Simply being a witness is often enough to prevent crimes, I think. "Hi, is everything OK?"
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, couples do that kind of junk all the time. I mean I guess I would have to be there, but I wouldn't have done anything unless there was something wrong with the tone of her voice and it was a chick I knew.
PS aren't you afraid you're gonna walk into a pole when you're reading like that??

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.