FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Would it be so bad if we were all like Bean? //warning may contain major spoilers//

Author Topic: Would it be so bad if we were all like Bean? //warning may contain major spoilers//
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it really be so bad if the human race was all altered like Bean?

I wouldn't mind only living to be a 20 year old super genius.What do the rest of you think? [Confused]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be horrible. I'd rather keep my current intelligence and live a lot longer. Say, 500 years to infinity.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering I am 32, I think that is a bad idea.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn't mind only living to be a 20 year old super genius.
20 years seems to be such a short period of time, hardly enough time to enjoy life to the full, let alone mature to adulthood.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I would kind of prefer to live a very short "intelegent" life, than live to 130 years old as an idiot. Which by the way, I think Anton was right when he said that humans were living longer than any time since "the bible era" but that we we're becoming idiots as a cost.

When was the last time we had a Betoveen, a Motzart, a Michelangelo, a Da Vinci, or an Einstein?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Who would raise all the orphans?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When was the last time we had a Betoveen, a Motzart, a Michelangelo, a Da Vinci, or an Einstein?
Or a Steven Hawking?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

YES! And as to the orphans thing, well considering ohow smart all of those orphans would be they wouldn't need to be looked after. ANd its not like every generation before them would be non-existant. The human race just wouldn't live as long, but we might accomplish more in 100 years than we would have (in normal progresion) have done in 1000.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Being smart doesn't mean you don't need loving parents.

Do we really want everybody to grow up as miserable as Bean was?

camus
Member # 8052

quote:
Yeah, but I would kind of prefer to live a very short "intelegent" life, than live to 130 years old as an idiot.
I guess I can kind of understand this opinion. I would much rather live a short, happy life than a long, miserable life. Of course, intelligence is not a prerequisite to happiness.

quote:
I think these type of people are still out there. They just may not be getting the same recognition or having the same impact as they would have in an earlier time.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

If they aren't getting the recognition they require, then our society has lost all hope. (my fear is that they are recognized and harnesed for certain businesses personal use)

But I don't think that Bean could be considered miserable. When he became a father he was overjoyed. But I want us all to have Beans level of self control, look at all the emotions that ran rampent through his mind, yet he choose to act on the ones that would best serve either himself or humanity.

Bean was the greatest of us (no offence towards Ender). Bean had self control, used his mind for uses that helped all of humanity, and so much more. I wished that all of humanity could be like Bean.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:

Anybody that would have come close was put on drugs as a child.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

That is my other fear vonk, that they are drugged and never reach their potential. [Frown]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
We'd all kill each other by the time we were 15.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

*shakes head* Remember, survival is a more powerful instinct than aggression.
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Ick! I would not want Bean's intelligence even without the drawback. In my experience, most people who have extreme intelligence suffer from it. I am happy with my current level of intelligence.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think I'm plenty smart as it is. I don't think being smarter would make me any happier.
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is simply more important than intelligence
because no matter how smart you are you can't slow down time so you can have a 70 years of intelligence

We'd lose a majority of a childhood too. the children would have no play time because by age 5 they would be at a college level of learning and by 8 having jobs and using their intelligence.

In My eyes Memory is more important than intelligence so i want a stupid life full of memories than a smart life with almost none

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I wouldn't mind doing math in my head without even having to think about it. And I don't agree that smart people are unhappy as much as you say.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Who would raise all the orphans?

Well, if we only lived for 20 years we'd probabaly have kids around 13-15. That would allow parents to raise their kids until they're 5 or so, and if you remember, Bean (who didn't have the benefit of any parents, ever) was capable of taking care of himself before he was 5. When you scale everything down to a 20 years lifespan, 5 is like 20.

And Advent, it's not that smart people aren't happy, it's that being smart doesn't make you happy. So really, is it worth cutting your life span to a quarter of what it should be? Bean certainly didn't think so, and he'd know better than anyone.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

So, Advent, you would be happy having only a couple more months to live knowing that you were a pretty smart guy rather than have before you the prospect of limitless possibilities? You're sure that you've already experienced everything that you want to experience in life? You wouldn't mind knowing that you will never be able to raise your children or see them grow up?

quote:
And I don't agree that smart people are unhappy as much as you say.
But you seem to imply that less intelligent people are less happy.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I think that in some cases "ignorence is bliss". I'm not implying that this is always so, but I think some people get through life by not having to worry about the rest of the world.

And yes, I would be happy to have lived such a life. If we all lived such short lives we might learn to value the short moments we have that much more because we "know" that we have a time limit.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm imagining a world where people die so soon that nobody gets to know and love their grandparents or granchildren and no adults have living parents.

That's not a world I would choose.

camus
Member # 8052

quote:
If we all lived such short lives we might learn to value the short moments we have that much more because we "know" that we have a time limit.
Or you may never have time to truly appreciate them. I mean, it took me about twenty years just to start to appreciate my parents. And how do you know that people wouldn't take even more things for granted as they try to pack every ounce of life into a few short years?
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
contiuing potato head also your parents wouldn't live long enough for you to get to know and love them

your children would know you only as the source of their genes and the food to bring them up they wouldn't love you.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Maybe your right. [Dont Know]
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
And a huge intelligence does not equal social maturity or wisdom. There are a lot of very smart kids out there who still act like kids because they lack experience. There are some things that only come with experience - no matter how quickly you learn, if you haven't had the experiences, you won't learn it.

I wouldn't want to be the smartest genius alive, even if it meant I would cure cancer, if it also meant I would've died before I married my husband and had my kids and learned what the point of my life is all about.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I think it'd be awful. It might be easier to achieve some things, but all in all you'd aspire to the same thing; you'd just have less free time while you race to get there. Me, I like free time.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it horrible that when I saw this thread I though of Mr. Bean?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yes.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd rather be more like Ender.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Augustine
Member # 9225

- posted      Profile for Augustine   Email Augustine         Edit/Delete Post 
In around 50 years, everyone would have forgotten what a normal life was like. It would simply be a story passed on. If we were all like Bean, then it would take only a few years to find a way to turn Anton's Key without the side affects. It would only be a short transition from a long life to a short life as we would find a cure for the giantism.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Ender was formed by his experience, not his genes.

And see *points to Augustine* my point proven! We might only have to exist in such a state for less than a hundred years before we found a way to be so smart without the giantism.

Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

Even so I'd wouldn't sacrifice my generation or my childrens generation for everyone else to be supergeinuses without being giants
Augustine
Member # 9225

quote:
Originally posted by Geekazoid99:
Even so I'd wouldn't sacrifice my generation or my childrens generation for everyone else to be supergeinuses without being giants

No offense, but that is somehow both selfish and thoughtful/caring.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:

And see *points to Augustine* my point proven! We might only have to exist in such a state for less than a hundred years before we found a way to be so smart without the giantism.

What if the research was cut short because of too many deaths?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:

I know that. It was experience not brains. Ender was still as much a genius as Bean.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
If we were all like Bean, then it would take only a few years to find a way to turn Anton's Key without the side affects.
Or not.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Ender was still as much a genius as Bean.
No he wasn't.

Ender was exceptionally smart, but Bean was literally inhumanly intelligent.

[ March 11, 2006, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Augustine
Member # 9225

quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:
QUOTE]What if the research was cut short because of too many deaths? [/QB]

That would only speed up the process. If they died because of experimentation, it would only be like stem-cell research, so they would mostly be undeveloped embryos.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I agree with MPH, Bean had the highest scores Battle School had ever seen and he wasn't even trying as hard as he could have. Ender was just the kind of commander that everyone wanted to serve and die for. He was still a brilliant strategest, but he was no where near as smart as Bean.

(spoiler)

And I'm not suggesting that ever normal human being is dead. I'm saying this as if Valescu's plan for the virus that would change existing pregnent womens children all into Beans. True his plan was never serious, but what if he HAD done it?

Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Ender was still as much a genius as Bean.
No he wasn't.

Ender was exceptionally smart, but Bean was literally inhumanly intelligent.

There are different types of genius.

Was Mozart a genius? Was Enstein a genuis?

They are two exceptionally smart people, in two different fields. One composed great music and the other split an atom.

Ender and Bean both knew many different things. Ender was more of a philosopher (let me know if it's the wrong term) and Bean was more of a scientist. Bean thinks about whats going on now, and thinks of *only* himself and those he loves and cares about. Ender thinks about everything and everyone.

Don't get me wrong, both Ender and Bean are smart and great, but please give Ender the credit he deserves.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.