FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What did you give up for Lent?

Author Topic: What did you give up for Lent?
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's Lent (actually it's now been Lent for over a week). I was wondering what everyone gave up for Lent.

I gave up fast food.

[ March 12, 2006, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: andi330 ]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, nobody else gave anything up? I feel lonely.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I added quick prayers for others throughout the day.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Cabbage.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ice cream and chocolate.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up playing silly computer games. I waste lots of time on Tetris, Freecell, Minesweeper, Mahjongg Solitaire, Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Hearts, Pinball, etc. It's like a mindless way for my brain to run on idle. But the trouble is that it's not even very enjoyable. There are so many higher quality and more productive ways that I could spend my time. I decided to break that habit forever, of pulling up a game and just randomly mindlessly noodling away at it. So I started for Lent.

Instead, I'm going to write in my journal, read, post, or work on making something. Stuff that's higher quality use of time and more fun.

It's not a big thing, but any promise made to God is a good thing. [Smile] And it blesses me.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up ice cream and I am going to clean out my room (get rid of stuff i don't really need). I am also doing something positive by way of taking a prayer walk of some sort every day.

Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Last Lent the preacher my cousin's church( I was there too) got very emotional. He was preaching about the violence going on and everybody getting shot because of drugs guns and gangs. Then at the climax of his homily he told everybody to go up to the altar and lay down their guns. One dude got up and laid an AK-47 on the altar and went back to his seat. It was dead silent man everybody was just quiet.
The dude who laid down the gun was shot 2 days later.

[ March 12, 2006, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: SoaPiNuReYe ]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

Wow. That's really powerful. If only everybody had listened to the preacher.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
How would you bring an AK-47 to church without anyone seeing it? I mean, AKs are rifles, not handguns.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine's only eating one meal a day during Lent. He says someone told him that Sundays are an exception during Lent, that one doesn't have to fast on Sundays -- is this true?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to go positive and am committed to do a good thing each day.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Super Popeye's is having a Lent special...catfish and crawfish, I think.

Silly Catholics. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

Sundays are always solemnities or feast days which are technically excluded from the season of Lent. Lent is a season of forty days. When you count the days from Ash Wednesday to Easter you get more than forty. This can rectified by not counting Sundays.

Some people give stuff up and then have them on Sundays. When I was a kid and gave up candy or cokes for Lent, though, I always thought it tasted better on Easter if I hadn't had it at all during the time of Lent, so if i gave it up, I gave it up. However, I don't give people grief if they decide not to count Sundays. It's not that big of a deal to me.

Kat

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
To add to that -- every Sunday is a celebration of the resurrection, hence a mini-Easter.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
SoaP -- Nothing personal, but I'm highly skeptical of your story.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom is always the one who says what I'm thinking.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it matters, but there's already a Lent thread

Not trying to toot my own thread here, but for the sake of cutting down on double threads...

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.