FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Name my Guitar

Author Topic: Name my Guitar
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody. As some know I am a classical guitarist/snob. About 6 months ago I bought my Cervantes studio edition custom axe, but I have yet to name him (or her). I may get around to posting a picture soon, but for now I will describe it.

Its a contemporary studio classical build wit ha medium waist. Its mexican rosewood, light top with darker, redish brown boughts also of grainy rosewood, not mohagany. Its lightweight, with a split back, a greenish roseta and matching outline on the top. The neck is a dark rosewood, and the tuning heads are an amberish meld, with gold tips. All the metal is light gold.

Alright so, I'd like some suggestions for names? I was thinking of making it a composer's name, but I don't know if this is the angle I should take. I was thinking too that for the multilinguists out there, I might like some foreign names for "Guitar," exluding variations from romantic languages, I won't call it "Guitarrita" or "Guitarra."

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in Japanese, "Guitar" is "Gitaa" so you probably don't want to call it that either.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucille?
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think snap associations are a good way to handle this.

As you know, Axe is slang for guitar. Axe is also a popular deoderant for men. So is Right Guard, which once hired Charles Barkely as a spokesman. He cameoed in Space Jam, and had his talent stolen by aliens. Aliens was the sequel to the movie Alien, and although this is a rare exception, sequels are often far worse than the original movie. Far worse is the opposite direction of where I really should try to go with this. According to Yoda, there is no try. Yoda is short, though not so much as a dwarf. Gimli, son of Gloin, is the only dwarf in the fellowship.

Therefore, the guitar should be named Gimli.

or Eduardo. Roll that R.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
My guitar's name is Akemi...
After a comic book character I like
You should name her after a cool song...
Like...
Brandy
or
Wendy
or...
other songs iwth women's names in them

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I think snap associations are a good way to handle this.

As you know, Axe is slang for guitar. Axe is also a popular deoderant for men. So is Right Guard, which once hired Charles Barkely as a spokesman. He cameoed in Space Jam, and had his talent stolen by aliens. Aliens was the sequel to the movie Alien, and although this is a rare exception, sequels are often far worse than the original movie. Far worse is the opposite direction of where I really should try to go with this. According to Yoda, there is no try. Yoda is short, though not so much as a dwarf. Gimli, son of Gloin, is the only dwarf in the fellowship.

Therefore, the guitar should be named Gimli.

or Eduardo. Roll that R.

Talk about a juxtaposition

[ROFL]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
touche, sir! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since it's a Cervantes, and Cervantes wrote Don Quixote, I suggest Sancho (Don Quixote's loveable and oddly wise squire/serveant.)

or Don Quixote,

or "The Don" to show some respect.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Zyzek.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
El Kabong!

Which is a cartoon reference to Don Quixote, and, of course, a guitar-totin' lawman.

Si, Senor Quicksdraw...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My guitar's name is Jedediah. He's nothing fancy, but we get along well.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Well, since it's a Cervantes, and Cervantes wrote Don Quixote, I suggest Sancho (Don Quixote's loveable and oddly wise squire/serveant.)

or Don Quixote,

Well, I have considered the "The" Prefix as well. My last guitar was called "The Conqueror." I am not sure if that is a legacy I want to maintain? I have also thought of maybe some OSC character names, Bonito for example, or Marcaux, something evil perhaps.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Since it has a kind of Mexican thing going for it most of my suggestions will be for something from that language.

Octavio/Paz or both of them together. He wasn't a composer AFAIK but a poet.

"Vera" if you know what I mean. [Wink]

Fuego (or Enfuego as one word=on fire)
Luna
Meiji

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Hablo Castellano, "Meiji" must be a native American word- what does it mean?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My guitar has no name. Therefore, unnamed it has Power.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

or Don Quixote,

Guitars are girls. Duh. How about Dulcinea instead?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My guitar is a dude.

I'm hoping my next one is a girl though.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I've met very few guitars who were dudes. The one that was whom I knew well enough to speak of was very clearly gay (not meant in a derogatory fashion, just a statement of fact.)

I think, from the description, that this one is a gal.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
And what gender are bass guitars usually? I hope male, because my bass guitar is named Martin.
Note: I thought of this name recently. When I read this thread I decided my instrument needed a name. So I thought Martin fit.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Every object I own is a dude.

I automatically refer to things with masculine pronouns. Always.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Basses are almost always male. I have known two females, though.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Hablo Castellano, "Meiji" must be a native American word- what does it mean?

It's actually the name of a Japanese emperor, I just like how it sounds that's all. [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should name it after Thor's hammer. I don't know how to spell it, but it is still cool.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Name it Grond.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Name it The Cheetar. After The Cheet from Homestar Runner.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think you should name it Honey Sugar. It'll make people feel really uncomfortable when you say, "Hey, I'm gonna go play with Honey Sugar."
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
My guitar's a girl. She wants a boyfriend in the form of an ESP viper like Kaoru's...
But how fair is it for her to get a boyfriend before I do? [Grumble]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My guitar has no name. Therefore, unnamed it has Power.
I think that the unnamed guitar only has power if ritually slay and eat it.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I think you should name it Honey Sugar. It'll make people feel really uncomfortable when you say, "Hey, I'm gonna go play with Honey Sugar."

[Confused] [ROFL]

I don't want to make people uncomfortable... too much.

I am undecided on the sex of my guitar. It could be girl, but it is also kinda metrosexual, like a really evenly tanned guy guitar? Hmmmm

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Basses are almost always male. I have known two females, though."

[ROFL] How does one determine the sex of an instrument? do ou judge by each individual instrument or does each model have its own sex? [Razz] (I know I'm analyzing it too much but it's funny and I'm curious)

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Instruments that have no character may not have a gender. I think that most instruments' gender is immediately apparent.

(You may want to see the "Do you feel sorry for inanimate objects" thread... I'm, um, weird.)

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I still need to learn to play bass...
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Basses are almost always male. I have known two females, though.
That's a relief. I don't know my bass very well (my Dad's had it ever since I bought it), but I was pretty sure he was a guy.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Why did your post move?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Instruments that have no character may not have a gender. I think that most instruments' gender is immediately apparent.

I think most instruments are naturally gender specific. I have heard, though I didn't grow up speaking French or Spanish, (I speak spanish now) that children can absorb gender articles for objects or places or whatever, the very first time they hear them, and remember all of them afterward. We don't do that much in English, and I think it paints our world in slightly different shades, people end up having remarkably similar takes on inanimate objects for whatever reason. For instance there is not much debate that basses are male-ish (for obvious reasons), but we are also uncomfortable with such things as saying Mrs. computer, or calling a ship "he," or other genderish items.

Guitars just seem female, except the guitars that don't. Wierd.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.