FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Muppet trivia of the day: (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Muppet trivia of the day:
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
As I understood it, the part they most specifically feared would be imitated was that the character would watch TV with his face pressed right against the screen.

As for the last third, I was looking for what obsession took the place of the television obsession.

Bonus Question: In addition to belonging to the organization devoted to his new obsession, Telly once created a group of "keteers" (ala Grouchketeers, Birdketeers) devoted to someone else on Sesame Street. Who was it?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Telly is obsessed with triangles.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Telly make a group devoted to Bob?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Whoo-hoo! You're both right.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Answer: Gonzo and Camilla the chicken had a musical number called "Love in the Laundromat" that involved Gonzo and his chicken girlfriend getting -very- affectionate with each other...but done in such an innocent manner that it was allowed to pass.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Today's question: Back in the 60s Jim Henson planned to produce a Muppet TV special guest starring Johnny Carson. The special was never produced, but sketches of it (and a basic plotline) remain. What was the title of the special, and what would have been the plot?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Answer: "Johnny Carson and the Muppet Machine"...Mr. Carson would have gone to a atudio in order to film a TV special and instead have found a mysterious machine, filled with bizarre Muppets.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Since work's been walloping me, lately...I'm gonna take a break from posting new trivia questions. Anyone else wish to contribute?
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to a Muppet clip over at Mark Evanier's website, letsee, hope I get the link right... I haven't actually watched it myself (trying not to exceed our daily bandwidth), but it sounds neat: link

quote:
What we have here is a clip from The Tonight Show for January 23, 1974. Johnny Carson's guests that night included Jack Benny, Mel Blanc, Maria Muldaur, Dr. Irwin Maxwell Stillman and Jim Henson...and this is Henson's spot with Kermit the Frog. You can see a bit of Benny at the end.

It's really world-class puppeteering. Henson was not a ventriloquist but he manipulated Kermit so well and gave him so much personality that you never really notice that Jim's lips are moving. (Although I always suspected that he grew the beard and mustache, which he did not have when he first began appearing on television, because they helped hide his mouth.) It's also quite charming that Kermit forgets the lyrics to his signature song...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's lovely. I miss Jim Henson.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. I will never forget that Paul Conrad cartoon (which, alas, I cannot find online).

The only Conrad, ever, to make me cry.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for posting that.

*wipes tear*

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
How effortless Mr. Henson makes it appear to give such life and nuance to Kermit. Just amazing.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
The story goes that June Henson was introducing one of the children on Sesame Street to Jim.

"Do you know who this is?" she said.

"Yes," said the child. "That's the man who holds up Kermit while he's working."

And a trivia question!

What is Kermit's amphibiously-appropriate birthday?

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is Kermit's amphibiously-appropriate birthday?
The Ides of Marsh? [Big Grin]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Great guess.

Q: What is Kermit's amphibiously-appropriate birthday?

A: Leap Year Day (February 29th)

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Today's Question:

Mr. Hooper never had a first name on the show, until one day when a prop forced the writers to come up with one.

What was the prop?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know (I do now, but I cheated); but Mr. Hooper was my favorite character.

And this STILL makes me cry.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Thanks for posting that link, Rivka.

Q: What was the prop?

A: When Mr. Hooper got his GED, they needed a full name to put on his diploma.

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Today's question:

Elmo and Clifford have the same voice actor as a sage from a 1990 hit film from a Hong Kong production company. The sage and actor both returned for the sequel, which was dedicated to the memory of Jim Henson, but in the third film the sage was voiced by a differrent actor.

What was the trilogy and who was the sage?

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Clifford's (as in the Big Red Dog, is that the Clifford you're referring to?) voice was done by Jack Ritter.

Is Clifford a creation of Jim Henson? I kinda don't think so but I have no idea.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there might have been a Clifford on Sessame Street, the big red dog is not a Jim Henson creation, and I believe it was voiced by John Ritter.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The "Clifford" they're referring to is a Muppet performed by Kevin Clash. He was a member of the band Solid Foam on the MuppeTelevision segement of The Jim Henson Hour.

He was also the host of Muppets Tonight.

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Puffy's right about which Clifford I mean. So besides Elmo and Clifford, who did Kevin clash do the voice for?

Q: What was the trilogy and who was the sage?

A: The three Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies, and the sage was Master Splinter.

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Today's question:

Why was the character of Harvey Kneeslapper, the practical joker, discontinued on Sesame Street?

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
breyer, I had moment of confusion with Jack Tripper and John Ritter. Thanks for the clarification.

And interesting about the Clifford, apparently I don't remember him or he has been eclipsed in my brain by the Big, Red Dog.

[Smile]

[ May 03, 2006, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
According to Wikipedia:
quote:
Harvey disappeared from Sesame Street, because of mixed public response to the character, and his laughing was too hard on Muppeteer Frank Oz's throat.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Ding, ding!

Andi's got it. There was also some ambivalance on the part of the writers. He was kind of a one-joke character, and they'd done the joke.

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Today's question:

When Ralph Nader appeared on Sesame Street, muppets sang, "The consumer advocate's a person in your neigborhood."

There was one more word changed in the song, at Nader's request. Which word was it and why?

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Answer:

Nader asked that the last line be changed to "The people whom you meet each day." He felt it was more grammatically correct.

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

New Question:

Although Big Bird was originally envisioned as a giant canary, if you ran a DNA test on the costume's feathers, what kind of bird would you find him to be?

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Ostrich!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are you running DNA tests on big bird? Is your pet canary raising a 7 foot tall youngling without its father?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Dan? You have something to hide?

With a last name like that, I would worry too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Dan is free and clear.

A: Big Bird's costume is made of turkey feathers.

plaid
Member # 2393

I'll try a question, hope my memory's right about this:

One episode of The Muppet Show did NOT take place at the Muppet Theatre. Where did it take place?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

A hatrack thread.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

A railroad station.
plaid
Member # 2393

Puffy Treat is right!

OK, new question, and (should be) an easy one: how did Kermit and Miss Piggy's wedding on The Muppet Show get interrupted?

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of saying "I do" Kermit introduces Lew Zeland and his amazing boomerang fish. Lew runs onstage and starts throwing his fish around. Angry, Piggy karate chops Kermit. (It won't be the last time.)
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.